Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"The XC40 is more stylish than the Ford Mustang Mach-E SUV, better designed inside than the Tesla Model Y, and a better value than the $70,000 Jaguar I-Pace... I did not love how it all creaked when the car hit speeds above 50 mph. Cruising Interstate 405 for an interview down south revealed loud road noise (the tires and thin cabin sealing contributed) punctuated by repetitive squeaks along the A-pillars and dashboard. It made the car seem cheaply made..."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-02-04/volvo-xc40-recharge-electric-suv-review-fast-but-with-troubling-tech

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Huh, I haven't noticed any creaks or squeaks yet. Agree the soundproofing could be better.
I wonder if he had 19s or 20s.

Road noise sounds fine to me and no creaks or groans. Though people have had creaky center console sounds … perhaps he got one of those u lucky cars.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My creaks were mostly from the plastic around the center console near the phone charging pad. Luckily my USB cord for charging is extra long and when wedged into the space around the trim the sound goes away.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Actually both XC40s were silent, my C40 has something that sounds like a creak or rubbing at certain speeds and over some bumps something under dash makes a noise.

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
223 Posts
My '21 P8 is the most quiet, solid vehicle I've ever driven -- much less owned. Every once in a while, maybe a 2 or 3 times a week, I hear a creak -- but overall a super, well-built car. I couldn't be happier with the hardware. On the software side -- only once, several weeks ago right after the 1.10 OTA update, I lost LTE for a few days.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
My '21 P8 is the most quiet, solid vehicle I've ever driven -- much less owned. Every once in a while, maybe a 2 or 3 times a week, I hear a creak -- but overall a super, well-built car. I couldn't be happier with the hardware. On the software side -- only once, several weeks ago right after the 1.10 OTA update, I lost LTE for a few days.
I swear the happier you are about your car the less problems it has and I love my car :)

Reactions: houkura

·
Registered
325 Posts
I swear the happier you are about your car the less problems it has and I love my car :)
Same here. I’ve had to do maybe 8 or 10 resets but zero real problems in 5 months. I’m amazed how quiet it is especially. EV’s are pretty silent so it’s incredible they can put together this 2000 kilo vehicle with thousands of little bits and pieces and keep it quiet.

·
Registered
684 Posts
The grin effect is always really high while driving the car 😁
Some hiccups along the road but nothing that would take the grin away.
I never volunteered so much to run errands, no matter how boring.

Reactions: SeattleCat

·
Registered
22 Denim Blue XC40 Recharge
13 Posts
Ironically also on the 405 I put a hotel room key under each side of the centre console and totally solved the creaking issue...

My old Subaru Crosstrek had the same problem and solved exactly the same way...

Lowtech solution for an annoying problem in a 'European Luxury' vehicle for sure, but problem solved nonetheless...

·
Registered
127 Posts
I wonder if he had 19s or 20s.

Road noise sounds fine to me and no creaks or groans. Though people have had creaky center console sounds … perhaps he got one of those u lucky cars.
I am an unlucky one with loud squeaks in the center console and some lighter ones in the pillars. Goes away at certain temps though so I think it might just depend where you live for some people. However I am one of the lucky ones with no connectivity, software, or any other issues of any kind. Go figure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts