Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my 2021 Volvo Recharge just over a week ago and 4 times so far when I start my car, the dash screen does not start and will continue to stay black while driving. At first I didn’t think he car would drive but sure enough I put the car in reverse and backed out of the parking spot no problem.

Thankfully the 4 times it has happend I was only driving around town, but clearly I am
concerned that I cannot see the speed I am driving or the gear I am in.

I am bringing it into the dealership in 2 days to get the Xylon application and while there they are going to look at the software updates.

Anyone else have a similar experience? I took a video while driving to show but it doesn’t seem like I can attach here. I attached a photo of the dash after getting in the car before driving.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Sorry to hear your having problems.

Here are techniques to be used when as a character in a book I love says ”weird bollocks happens”. After each technique below try the thing that had gone wrong. If it still fails please proceeding to the next

I would suggest you start with #2

1. Exit vehicle. Lock Car. Visualize it switching off. Get back in and turn it on and Test problemish.

2. Reboot the computer by holding down the home key (big key center bottom of the display) for 20 seconds. After the Computer reboots, give it a few second to fully boot up. Now test It.

3. Exit vehicle. Lock Car. Visualize it switching off. Now walk away from the car, walk at least 30 feet from the car. (WARNING) make sure nobody else is close and that there are no other keys in the car. Wait 2 minutes (I will scientifically work on the needed wait time at some point). Now return to the car WITH ONLY ONE KEY. Open door, get in, switch it on and test the problem.

4. Do (3) BUT return to the car with a different key. Make sure all other keys stay away from the car unit you are finished. In this case if it works, make sure that you test it later with the original key.

5. Hold down the defrost button for a while to reset the modem.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
43 Posts
I am bringing it into the dealership in 2 days to get the Xylon application and while there they are going to look at the software updates.
Hmmm, the second picture looks like the shipping covers for the brakes are still on. It might not have gone through all the checks before sale. Have the dealer check everything over.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Wow well spotted. That certainly does raise the flag on as you did whether it has been through all the checks.
According to my dealer removing the brake covers incorrectly can mess up the brakes.

What are the risks on using the car with the brake covers still on?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm, the second picture looks like the shipping covers for the brakes are still on. It might not have gone through all the checks before sale. Have the dealer check everything over.
Thanks, and yea that photo was taken at the dealership before I purchased it, covers are off. But I completely agree, it seems like maybe something hadn’t been completely updated/checked before I took it off the lot. Not sure if its a good thing no one else seems to have had this same issue or not.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Did you try rebooting?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
That’s the one. Sounds like your car definitely needs a dealer visit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts