Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
71 Posts
Please point me to those specs. They are definitely not LED. The owners manual has instructions for replacing the brake lights, rear turn signals and rear fog light with bulb types. There are no instructions for replacing other bulbs because they are built in LEDs. You can look right into the tail light and see the bulbs, the H21W bulbs in the brake and rear fog are actually halogen. The owners manual says to avoid touching the glass of the bulb during replacement which is not relevant for an LED because they don't heat up like halogen or incandescent bulbs.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Please point me to those specs. They are definitely not LED. The owners manual has instructions for replacing the brake lights, rear turn signals and rear fog light with bulb types. There are no instructions for replacing other bulbs because they are built in LEDs. You can look right into the tail light and see the bulbs, the H21W bulbs in the brake and rear fog are actually halogen. The owners manual says to avoid touching the glass of the bulb during replacement which is not relevant for an LED because they don't heat up like halogen or incandescent bulbs.
I believe that all the bulb specifications listed for replacement are LED bulbs

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
71 Posts
I believe that all the bulb specifications listed for replacement are LED bulbs

Nothing on that page says they're LED. It says if an LED needs replacement to contact a shop because they are not user replaceable like the 3 bulbs I mentioned that are not LED. Here is a picture of the brake light. It is a glass halogen bulb in a reflector housing. The only bulbs in the tail light that are LED are the parking lights and reverse lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Given it’s over 100 degrees some days, if the car is baked outdoor no matter what it does take a while for the space to cool off. Especially when the furry baby is in the back the distance is too short to keep the trunk area too comfortable so I’d resorted to a 12v fan. And shockingly…for $25…. it clips easily to the grill, 360 adjustable and it DOES move the air for sure….definitely worked out a lot better than I’d expected.
View attachment 1254
That is a superb 4 legged friend setup. Could you list the items you used? Do you know if the rear 12v goes live when we use voc to precondition?

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
762 Posts
That is a superb 4 legged friend setup. Could you list the items you used? Do you know if the rear 12v goes live when we use voc to precondition?
Link to the product:

It's all plastic made, wished it was steel BUT it works pretty darn well ! The product has a "roller wheel" to turn it OFF completely (there's clicking sound) or ON (and ability to gradually change the speed of fan by increasing the dial). I like that it illuminates a faint blue light when it's on. Now out of paranoia, I don't leave it plugged in, only when I'm about to load up the pup. Hence I haven't experimented yet whether it comes on when VOC is in use -- that would be super nifty -- I'll test it out and let you know !

However, I think when the car is napping, and you switches it on, it doesn't come on. You'd have to sit to wake up the car first, THEN it comes on. I haven't learned all the quirks yet, but it has been working great so far ! Pup is no longer panting in the back while waiting for cabin to cool off.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Nina was anxious about your puppy
Dog Working animal Pet supply Carnivore Collar

now she is no longer worried and happy

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Whiskers

Reactions: Ces

·
Registered
762 Posts
Nina was anxious about your puppy
View attachment 1258

now she is no longer worried and happy

View attachment 1259
Roka had a slumber with his buddy -- when both of them in the back of the Car, and panting away with excitement, it was fogging up..... and I could tell if the trip was any longer, they would have been uncomfortable. Hence the FAN!

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Working animal

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I'm always a bit wary of hanging accessories from the driver's mirror. My girlfriend has a dream catcher hung from her mirror and although it looks cool, whenever I drive her car I'm always moving it out of my line of sight.
And you can get pulled over for it. Mainly if you belong to one of a few select special clubs in America.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would like to see Volvo sell some sort of dog gate solution (in addition to the pull-down “steel protective grille”) as they do for other models.

Our dog would jump from the back as the gate opens, and because of her shape would probably hurt herself. They make a really nice enclosure (that attaches to the protective grille mentioned up-thread) that works beautifully for other models. We have one in our V60 (It’s actually from the previous gen model and Volvo marks it as incompatible with SPA gen, but it fits fine).

Only thing is the XC40 cargo area depth is maybe a few inches too short to be practical with an axially oriented dog crate, so it might need to be lateral.

Dog Carnivore Pet supply Dog breed Line

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
"Thor" a 2021 XC40 Recharge (P8) in Thunder Gray
15 Posts
Best Volvo accessories:
  • hands down the protective grill in the back for the Furry baby -- looks great, easily flipped up when not in use, best thing ever in ANY of my Cars
  • sunglass attachment on Driver's side (it's true that it's design for smaller fingers to open it, something to get used to, otherwise a great space saver)
  • After market: Lowest cost nerdy splurge... $5 (i think) is the aluminium tire valve caps - comes in multiples colors, i got blue
The protective grill, does it only work with the rear seats up? I have 2 75+ lbs dogs and the rear seats are always down, and I need to block the 9 mo. old puppy from coming up between the seats.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Is there any default cargo net built in to shield dog area from people? ( or the other way round). I do not think so. When I got mine I thought our old dog died not need it. I forgot the “old dog” bit in wanting to keep the car for a long while.

Does Volvo install the dog racks after you buy the car?

·
Registered
209 Posts
The protective grill, does it only work with the rear seats up? I have 2 75+ lbs dogs and the rear seats are always down, and I need to block the 9 mo. old puppy from coming up between the seats.
the Volvo steel grille accessory requires the seats to be up. Gives me a little piece of mind — you can always get the dog out by folding the seat if an accident or something damages the tailgate.

Reactions: SeattleCat

·
Registered
"Thor" a 2021 XC40 Recharge (P8) in Thunder Gray
15 Posts
the Volvo steel grille accessory requires the seats to be up. Gives me a little piece of mind — you can always get the dog out by folding the seat if an accident or something damages the tailgate.
Do you know if the grill can be used behind the front seats, instead of the back? I can’t tell how it attaches inside the vehicle; I’m wondering if it can be moved.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Do you know if the grill can be used behind the front seats, instead of the back? I can’t tell how it attaches inside the vehicle; I’m wondering if it can be moved.
No, it specifically says it's not to be used there. I think it would interfere with the movement of the seats, and perhaps the WHIPS anti-whiplash system. It also wouldn't be safe for rear seat passengers.

You can use this nylon protective net on either set of anchor points, front or back, however.

Reactions: girlgeek

·
Registered
209 Posts
Does Volvo install the dog racks after you buy the car?
I’m sure they would but I’m too cheap. The fold-down protective grille (the only piece that’s available for the XC40) isn’t usually terribly hard to install, but it was more of a PITA in the XC40 than in other Volvos I’ve had.
The other pieces that make up the complete dog kit in my V60 aren’t permanently installed, they clip and clamp in (takes me 10–15 minutes to install or remove). I generally leave them in there since the dog goes to work with me so much, but they easily come out if I need to haul a lot of cargo. It’s a clever system.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Does this mean you cannot have the hidey cover in the back?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Does this mean you cannot have the hidey cover in the back?
In V60, I have the window shade style hider. It can't be installed with all the dog gate apparatus in there. It can be installed with only the swing-down protective grille in place, but you have to momentarily remove the cover to move the grill up or down.

Honestly I'm not sure how the protective grille affects the cover in our XC40... we put it under the rear floor some time ago and haven't used it.

·
Registered
762 Posts
The Grill is attached to the sidewalls (by 2nd seat row), it has no bearing to whether the rear seats are up or down - it either flips up to the roof, or flip down regardless of the position(s) of the 2nd row seat - in short, it doesn't get in the way at all. Hope that answers to your question

21 - 40 of 46 Posts