Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Sorry if you already covered this - but are you seeing the 57% charge level on the actual car dashboard? Or just looking at the mobile app? The app might just be showing you the charge level from "the last time it heard from your car".
I hope that the app is wise enough to know the current SOC, but I will find out. I am getting this from the app. When I pull it up it takes a minute to load, then everything appears to be communicating with the car. I can and have locked and unlocked the doors to check - which I verified happening on my Ring camera. So, in regards to the battery - we will see I suppose.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
219 Posts
I think a way to force an update would be to issue an unlock and relock of the doors. But, I'd rather you not risk skewing your week long experiment.

When you get back, let us know what the dash says when you enter the car and then if it changes rapidly within the first minute of being on.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I think a way to force an update would be to issue an unlock and relock of the doors. But, I'd rather you not risk skewing your week long experiment.

When you get back, let us know what the dash says when you enter the car and then if it changes rapidly within the first minute of being on.
Too late, I unlocked/locked again just to make sure my app is communicating with the car - it is. Ring camera verified. 57% still showing.

Its important to me to know how it behaves as Ill be driving it to the Nashville airport (I live in AL) and leaving it for 5 days.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
You can tell the app syncs with the car when you open it and the car initially shows neutral, then the car changes to its current state (locked with the red blinking light on the dash). Well, that's what I tell myself at least.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have seen it too.
My car has to be parked outside. It says 90% but once I get going unless the car has been it warmed up and in motion it will go down 2-5%.

example: this morning was car said 95% started charger when straight back to 92%.

i saw all of this in the app.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anyone else driving in sub-zero (F) temps? Really seems to burn through battery on short trips with no preheating. Can't tell if the car is just burning though kWh heating the cabin or the cabin + battery. For anyone curious, at -10 F the orange power limit bar is pretty big and doesn't seem to go away.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Anyone else driving in sub-zero (F) temps? Really seems to burn through battery on short trips with no preheating. Can't tell if the car is just burning though kWh heating the cabin or the cabin + battery. For anyone curious, at -10 F the orange power limit bar is pretty big and doesn't seem to go away.
Could you do short trips wearing warm clothing without the heater on?

Then compare with the same trip with the cabin heating on?

It is not surprising though. Even in the mild Seattle weather I can get the power usage to 146 per 100 mile.

What numbers are you seeing in the freezing conditions you are in?

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
121 Posts
Could you do short trips wearing warm clothing without the heater on?

Then compare with the same trip with the cabin heating on?

It is not surprising though. Even in the mild Seattle weather I can get the power usage to 146 per 100 mile.

What numbers are you seeing in the freezing conditions you are in?
If you can't own a car of this quality and cost due to the fact of using electricity, go back to an ICE car. :confused: Sure it uses electricity to provide heat. What do you do inside your home in the winter when fuel prices go up?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
If you can't own a car of this quality and cost due to the fact of using electricity, go back to an ICE car. :confused: Sure it uses electricity to provide heat. What do you do inside your home in the winter when fuel prices go up?
Blink did you mean to aim this at someone else. I was replying to the above posters question about wondering how much energy usage was from the cabin and how much from the battery.

No where did I complain about energy usage. I only stated how much mine used.

·
Registered
52 Posts
FWIW my car shows 84% in the app, which i where it was when I got home yesterday. Sine then I gave my daughter a session on charging and topped it off to 90%, unplugged it around 6:30 yesterday. App still says 84% unplugged as it has since returning home yesterday. The lag on updating this number makes it in reality useless.

In my experience any trip takes 2% off the battery to ready the car and whatever else it does to get going. After that it plateaus out, so short trips SEEM to consume a lot of power, but in reality long trips spread the start up cost and make it unnoticeable.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
FWIW my car shows 84% in the app, which i where it was when I got home yesterday. Sine then I gave my daughter a session on charging and topped it off to 90%, unplugged it around 6:30 yesterday. App still says 84% unplugged as it has since returning home yesterday. The lag on updating this number makes it in reality useless.

In my experience any trip takes 2% off the battery to ready the car and whatever else it does to get going. After that it plateaus out, so short trips SEEM to consume a lot of power, but in reality long trips spread the start up cost and make it unnoticeable.
Make sure you close the app down and re launch it or it is hard to tell if the app is lagging or just broken :)

21 - 40 of 43 Posts