Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue
190 Posts
I haven’t experienced battery loss but I also keep the car plugged in while not in use but set to 80%.
One thing to consider is that even though the charge might not decrease, starting without preconditioning will really affect your usage. More so in the winter months (could be also summer hot days).

·
Registered
190 Posts
You will not get preconditioning of the battery if your Charge setting is at 80%.
Updates in software version 1.4

• Preheating of the battery when charging to 90% and 100%, gives improved range. No preheating when charging under 90%.
It will not precondition the battery but will precondition the cabin without using the battery (assuming it connected to the wall unit).
Just for giggles, take the car out of the garage first time in the morning without warming it up and look at the consumption, you will be shocked.

·
Registered
190 Posts
So if you charge to 90%, does the car have to stay plugged in to precondition the battery? I only plug my car in once a week or so. Now that cold weather is here, I have a noticed my normal short daily trips are using a few more percent of battery.
I’m not charging to 90%, I keep the max at 80%. And yes, I keep it plugged in while it preconditions and warms up.
The cabin heat needed to warm up the car uses a lot from the battery so I leave the wall charger do the job.
Can’t remember where I read it but it was recommended.
I might be wrong and I’m hoping I’m not messing up the battery by doing that.

·
Registered
190 Posts
When left plugged in after a full charge, I can see that the car pulls a charge intermittently. I didn't really look for this when it was warm, but now that winter is here, I have been watching. It was enough that my electric company sent me a note letting me know that I was using more electricity than normal. Something is happening.

View attachment 1902
I’ve been learning a lot about EVs in the past few weeks.
The behavior you’re showing if I’m not wrong is normal behavior. As the temp drops the car will reserve some of the battery charge but you’re still leaving your max amount the same.
I found some great videos and a blog in a different thread that explain the behavior really well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts