Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
192 Posts
I haven’t experienced battery loss but I also keep the car plugged in while not in use but set to 80%.
One thing to consider is that even though the charge might not decrease, starting without preconditioning will really affect your usage. More so in the winter months (could be also summer hot days).
You will not get preconditioning of the battery if your Charge setting is at 80%.
Updates in software version 1.4

• Preheating of the battery when charging to 90% and 100%, gives improved range. No preheating when charging under 90%.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
192 Posts
So if you charge to 90%, does the car have to stay plugged in to precondition the battery? I only plug my car in once a week or so. Now that cold weather is here, I have a noticed my normal short daily trips are using a few more percent of battery.
I'm not sure if you can precondition battery if not plugged in, I wouldn't be surprised and wonder how much battery power would be reqd?
Up until July Volvo recommended charge to 80% , then update 1.4 came out and now recommends 90% due battery preconditioning.
I find that at 90% plugged in I can tell app to heat car( and battery) 30 mins before I leave and everything is nice and cozy warm plus battery drain initially is almost normal. When I tried to do the same thing at 80%, I found that over 50% of the time the car would start to heat interior and then quit after a couple minutes according to my app and I would find car was only partially heated and initial battery wasn't as good as at 90%, so I'm still on the fence on which way to go.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
192 Posts
I have noticed this - upwards of 140…

so charging to 90 would prevent this then? It would keep the battery pre conditioned? I guess setting the timer in the app is all about cabin comfort, not combined cabin comfort and a preconditioned battery, regardless plugged in or SOC?
No, leaving it plugged in with charge limit set to 90% will not do anything after car reaches 90%. You would still have to set timer or tell app to precondition about 30 minutes before you wanted car ready to drive.
I'm retired and don't have a clue when I will use my car next so I just leave it plugged in and set to 90% and then tell app 30 mins prior.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
192 Posts
i was super unclear in my question, my bad.

if i set my charge limit to 70% but still have timers set to precondition before my departure - will this only condition the cabin for comfort?

if i set my charge limit to 90% and have the timers set to precondition before my departure - will this condition both the battery and the cabin?
YES

YES

Smarter pre-conditioning timers: The battery will be pre-conditioned prior to departure in order to increase range.

I find the above statement rather vague. (are we still assuming battery plugged in and set to 90% ????)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts