Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
It is hard to tell the actual percentage until you get in it and drive. Mine has looked fine. Got in started moving and 3% went away but … I think this is a 1.7 bug

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Anyone else driving in sub-zero (F) temps? Really seems to burn through battery on short trips with no preheating. Can't tell if the car is just burning though kWh heating the cabin or the cabin + battery. For anyone curious, at -10 F the orange power limit bar is pretty big and doesn't seem to go away.
Could you do short trips wearing warm clothing without the heater on?

Then compare with the same trip with the cabin heating on?

It is not surprising though. Even in the mild Seattle weather I can get the power usage to 146 per 100 mile.

What numbers are you seeing in the freezing conditions you are in?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
If you can't own a car of this quality and cost due to the fact of using electricity, go back to an ICE car. :confused: Sure it uses electricity to provide heat. What do you do inside your home in the winter when fuel prices go up?
Blink did you mean to aim this at someone else. I was replying to the above posters question about wondering how much energy usage was from the cabin and how much from the battery.

No where did I complain about energy usage. I only stated how much mine used.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
FWIW my car shows 84% in the app, which i where it was when I got home yesterday. Sine then I gave my daughter a session on charging and topped it off to 90%, unplugged it around 6:30 yesterday. App still says 84% unplugged as it has since returning home yesterday. The lag on updating this number makes it in reality useless.

In my experience any trip takes 2% off the battery to ready the car and whatever else it does to get going. After that it plateaus out, so short trips SEEM to consume a lot of power, but in reality long trips spread the start up cost and make it unnoticeable.
Make sure you close the app down and re launch it or it is hard to tell if the app is lagging or just broken :)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
It's not about the cost, just was wondering if anyone has done the work to determine if it uses a ton of power heating up the battery. For a school run you are home before the battery ever gets up to temp so it's kind of a waste if it's actually heating it. With really short trips like that you can easily get 100+ kWh/100 miles.

Here's a shot at 50% battery. Estimated range already up and at only 55 miles.
View attachment 1882

I'm sure if it was preheated while plugged in you could still get a decent range but we don't do many longer trips, especially in winter.

More on topic, I suspect there is some drain on the battery while it's extremely cold when not in use. I see it charging occasionally after completing the full charge sometimes, turning on and off multiple times overnight. Maybe since it knows it's plugged it doesn't mind draining some power to keep the battery from completely freezing.
I might be wrong but I doubt the code is present to maintain the car at a given temperature. The charge code is there to charge the car. Adding maintenance of car health would be a whole different paradigm.

In theory the car can sit in freezing conditions without dying or else people could not drive it from their home to a cold place go do something and not be stranded.

My assumption is that being reasonably cold (inside the operating temperature range of the car) will not break the car.

We will find out more proofs or disproofs over this winter :) We are not trailblazing as there have been quite a few evs before our sexy P8 swooshed fourth. But all data is good :)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Anyone have a camera they can watch their car over night to see if it turns on and off?

Or a thermal camera to see if it heats up.

Or a mic that can listen to see if the fans turn on?

My betting is that it does not but I am always happy to be wrong

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Fascinating. A shame we cannot sneak a remote temperature sensor into the battery area or somewhere close. Would love to see if it is maintaining a temperature.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
All i know is weather lately had been mild, not cold enough for my mind to trigger pre-conditioning function - When pulling out, it would be over 60/100 mile easily for a good 5 miles before steadying at low 40s. Due to curiosity, when cold weather hits, I will definitely experience on pre-conditioning impact 30 mins before driving out of garage to see when the immediate consumption is, and compare again non-conditioning....tik tok....
I wonder how ev life will be for this who have to use public chargers when cold weather arrives?

Anyone charging in public only and in cold weather? Anything to report if so?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts