Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting very annoyed with volvo Australia. I was just on facebook (yes reliable I know) which lead me to whirlpool with this nugget that two australian customers (that we know of) were offered yesterday.

I would like to know if anyone else has had this offer so to switch to an c40 with a $1500 discount and delivery before christmas. I’m not sure I can believe the B.S from the car dealers that I will be getting a car in January given that I ordered early april and these people getting offers to switch had there 2022 xc40 cancelled that they ordered in Nov and Dec 2021 and have delivery dates of Jan 2023 also for their XC40s with the caveat in the offer that volvo may not even be able to deliver on this date also in the offer letter.

Something smells really bad here? Jedi Bullshittery on delivery dates. I was prepared to wait 6 then 10 months but hearing this I don’t believe that xc40 ev will be hitting our shores before marh\april pushing it to 12 months. Wait times are fine as long as they are not widely inaccurate.

Why the switch to C40s and why are xc40 not being made? they are basically the same car?

getting a little annoyed so I’ll stop the rant, so what other options are out there similar to xc40 avaliable in AU that are not Teslas or outlandish disco cars like the atto or the unobtainable kia and hyundai offerings? I’m going to explore this actively now along with delivery times on alternate cars.

·
Registered
Red 2022 Late XC40, Yellow 2017 BRZ
1,034 Posts
Interesting. When I bought my XC40 here in the US in March, it had better financing and discount offers than the C40. I would have been very tempted to get the C40 instead if it had been as good of a deal.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I can't see this as bait and switch when they offer to switch to a vehicle that will likely be more readily available, and offer a financial incentive to do so.

Bait and switch would imply that you are somehow tricked into taking a more expensive offer, and this clearly isn't it. I would applaud my dealer for making this offer were I in a similar circumstance.

This thread reminds me of the saying "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you." Life's too short to go around complaining that your glass is half empty.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't see this as bait and switch when they offer to switch to a vehicle that will likely be more readily available, and offer a financial incentive to do so.

Bait and switch would imply that you are somehow tricked into taking a more expensive offer, and this clearly isn't it. I would applaud my dealer for making this offer were I in a similar circumstance.

This thread reminds me of the saying "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you." Life's too short to go around complaining that your glass is half empty.
you know what you are right - Bye volvo nice try

·
Registered
10 Posts
I ordered in mid March and received the swap deal letter yesterday.
The swab will cost 15k more even with the discount of 15k. Volvo Australia states at the letter my ordered XC40 car will still be on the time table of Jan 23 delivery from what they know.
I wouldn't mind the swap if not for the sun/moon roof which can't be open and can't be shaded. I live in Adelaide and summer temperature here hovers between 35 to 42 deg C. Sunroof even tinted but without a shade will be like driving in an oven.
I will wait until Jan 23 and see if Volvo Australia can deliver the car. I still enjoy driving my diesel car.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Volvo now offers an oem shade for the C40, at least here in the US. I’ve never opened the sunrooof in my last several vehicles spanning a decade or more, so having a panoramic roof that doesn’t open is no big deal. That it has much less potential to leak is a plus.

·
Registered
XC40 P8 (on order due Aug 2022)
61 Posts
Buy something else. More EVs to come in 2023, but hey, I should’nt comment as I’m buying the disco car 🕺🪩.

We cancelled our XC40 order end of June after waiting since Oct/November 2021, communication from the Canberra dealership was 0 and only when I enquired to get updated, not once did they reach out to me.

Kinda glad we cancelled though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Buy something else. More EVs to come in 2023, but hey, I should’nt comment as I’m buying the disco car 🕺🪩.

We cancelled our XC40 order end of June after waiting since Oct/November 2021, communication from the Canberra dealership was 0 and only when I enquired to get updated, not once did they reach out to me.

Kinda glad we cancelled though.
He He the disco cars are amusing but not my taste. I did wish i could bring myself to buy one but its just not me. All power to you if your into that tech stuff. It’s a pity as the xc40 was just a good looking ev without the usual EV fanfare.

·
Registered
61 Posts
He He the disco cars are amusing but not my taste. I did wish i could bring myself to buy one but its just not me.
the XC40 is a very nice looking car inside and out. The Atto Is polarising on the inside, no doubting it, at first I didn’t like it. But now I’m okay with it, I actually kinda dig it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is my biggest issue.
We ordered June, the last phone call I had was in August and was told I would receive monthly calls to update me.
Why bother telling a customer something like that when you have no intention on following through?

While I didn't receive the email referred to, Ive just called our dealer this morning only to be put through to a voice mail.

Customer service just doesn't seem to exisit in this industry here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is my biggest issue.
We ordered June, the last phone call I had was in August and was told I would receive monthly calls to update me.
Why bother telling a customer something like that when you have no intention on following through?

While I didn't receive the email referred to, Ive just called our dealer this morning only to be put through to a voice mail.

Customer service just doesn't seem to exisit in this industry here.
I believe that volvo can do a lot better on estimates. Lockdowns in china have cost them we get it but don’t keep stringing us along with dates pushing everything thing back every month. I believe that volvo australia is not giving wait times that reflect the current situation so they don’t lose customers with long lead times. So if you want the car you have to put up with it.

GV60 looks ok but has a disco ball and is a bit expensive

·
Registered
61 Posts
GV60 looks ok but has a disco ball and is a bit expensive
It’s insane how much that thing costs. I guess their after the top end.
The Kia Niro is stupidly priced. The Volvo is definitely a better buy that it.

Be interesting to see what happens with the pricing of the Kona refresh.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It’s insane how much that thing costs. I guess their after the top end.
The Kia Niro is stupidly priced. The Volvo is definitely a better buy that it.

Be interesting to see what happens with the pricing of the Kona refresh.
Yeah Kona was always more budget so would be cheaper but with ev price tags. Wonder when next xc40 platform is due which will be electric only. I reckon the convertible polestar will be using the same platform. Wonder weather we are getting in to early, or maybe electric car waits will continue to blow out. I guess get in early then wait for the next generation

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got my email today with a probably feb 2023 delivery date on xc40 or 1500 off new c40 with maybe delivery before christmas. I’m still not sure how I feel about this. Have they prioritised the c40 over the xc40 in production which is annoying given that we all ordered well before c40 order book opened! Also the c40 seems more like a cheaper xc40 with less metal and a non functional sunroof. Are there any other differences?

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
1,136 Posts
Got my email today with a probably feb 2023 delivery date on xc40 or 1500 off new c40 with maybe delivery before christmas. I’m still not sure how I feel about this. Have they prioritised the c40 over the xc40 in production which is annoying given that we all ordered well before c40 order book opened! Also the c40 seems more like a cheaper xc40 with less metal and a non functional sunroof. Are there any other differences?
The roof is pretty much the main difference.

Re: C40 production, it's possible that they have made or are making an initial batch of C40s for Australia and maybe they're not all pre-ordered. Maybe that's why they're offering them to XC40 customers? Not sure whether the C40 would be a hotter seller than the XC40 in AUS. I guess it's probably more of a niche product with the styling whereas the XC40 is more mainstream, so maybe the XC40 has a broader audience? Hmm...hard to say. Have they already taken pre-orders and deposits for the C40 in AUS, or is it just expression of interest?

·
Registered
Red 2022 Late XC40, Yellow 2017 BRZ
1,034 Posts
C40 should have slightly better aerodynamics, and get just a few miles extra max range. And it should have more front headroom because it doesn't have the full headliner and sunroof mechanism from the XC40.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
1,136 Posts
The C40 also sits an inch lower, but I haven't seen any practical difference from the XC40 I had before it.
I don't think the C40 sits any closer to the ground (ground clearance appears to be same as the XC40 EV from specs I have seen?) The ground clearance on the C40 and XC40 EV is a bit less than the non-EVs due to the battery pack sitting closer to the ground. They do quote a lower overall height for C40 vs. XC40 EV, but I heard that is measured at the antenna and the roof height of both cars is actually the same over the B-pillar area?? So C40 body is basically about the same height as the XC40 but it just slopes down quicker from the area above driver's head. Not sure on that though!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The roof is pretty much the main difference.

Re: C40 production, it's possible that they have made or are making an initial batch of C40s for Australia and maybe they're not all pre-ordered. Maybe that's why they're offering them to XC40 customers? Not sure whether the C40 would be a hotter seller than the XC40 in AUS. I guess it's probably more of a niche product with the styling whereas the XC40 is more mainstream, so maybe the XC40 has a broader audience? Hmm...hard to say. Have they already taken pre-orders and deposits for the C40 in AUS, or is it just expression of interest?
think order ok opened in june

1 - 20 of 28 Posts