Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
181 Posts
Basically, it shows your power situation in real time -- whether you are using power (above 3:00 position) or regenerating power (below 3:00 position). You will see the orange arc at top when your SOC is low (~10% or less). The red at bottom means you are braking beyond the regen capability.

·
Registered
XC40 P8 Recharge 2021
25 Posts
I saw this indicator for the first time the other day. It was about 30F out and my battery was at 60%. Does anybody know what exactly this represent and why it sometimes shows?
I've only seen it when battery was below about 15 or 20%, can't remember which, the #1 line grew slightly as the battery went down.
Maybe it is restricting power due to the ambient temperature.

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
181 Posts
The orange arc at top will begin, I think, around 15% SOC. Then it continue to grow as the SOC decreases. The "turtle" icon will also appear about the same tie. Only once have I run the battery down below 10%.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
219 Posts
The 60% SOC is fine, but I'll bet you saw the limited power indicator because of the cold temperature of the battery. You can manually warm it up if you exercise (or yo-yo) the accelerator.
Something that I don't know yet is if the preconditioning feature for the cabin will also warm the battery before departure. Does anyone else know?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Preconditioning in any EV I know of is as much for the battery as the humans - we all like to be the same temperature! Some even share the cabin air to cool or heat the battery. Id be amazed if the XC40 doesn't prepare the battery temperature.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
219 Posts
I failed to remember that the next OTA version 1.7 adds this feature:
  • Smarter pre-conditioning timers: The battery will be pre-conditioned prior to departure in order to increase range.
If preconditioning gets the battery temperature warm enough, then I imagine we won't see the 'power limited' warning. (assuming enough SOC)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Not to rehash but simply to validate what others have said above in my own words:

TEMPERATURE is a bigger factor than SOC% here. Overall in our 20+ EVs over the past 10+ years this is what we have seen. This is a big reason why Tesla has the car precondition the battery when you say you’re headed to a charger. Batteries work happier/better when warm. To this end, as noted above, v1.7 is supposed to precondition the battery when it senses you are navigating to a charger but also, when you are ready to depart. Back in the day the “trick” us early Tesla adopters would do is to charge your car overnight to 88% then 15min before you left the house bump that up on the app to 90% — the 2% it would add would in turn warm the battery and avoid the power/regen limits.

As you drive off, in 30F temps — and as the battery warms up — you should see MAX power and MAX regen come back over time. Even with preconditioning, you may still see this occur when the car is parked outside; less so indoors/garage. My wife’s XC40 was our vehicle of choice 2 days ago, and then I had to hit an EA DC fast charger (we are on v1.5~ so no precondition options). even at 30% SOC it only started off ~80kW charging, hitting around 100kW at 40% and then around 50% coming back down to less. Why? I’d wager it was battery temps as it was cold outside. volvo doesnt give us those metrics (most dont; my Taycan was one of the few cars to show pack temp, which was nice since there are published charts that show DC fast charging speed in relation to both SOC% as well as pack-temp to cross reference).

PS: there is a running joke in the local NE Ohio USA Facebook group that when “winter is coming” its “no regen months” are coming … because the first thing Tesla pulls in cold weather is regen, more so even than max power output. That is just how its coded/software by design. So be ready for this— as we picked up our XC40 in early summer, we’ve not had our Volvo EV in winter yet. I’ll be curious to see how it fares!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Once my temps get into the 30c to 40c's here will have to post my range and charging experience, will be interesting
Drove mine in 47.8c temperatures.

Was not a noticeable range difference (but hard to tell as we were going down hill for most of that section).

Charging was good apart from 1 charge station did not spin up its cooling and only trickled power … the next ones were fine.

Driving was a fine experience. Ac kept me cool and sane.

I however did not like having to get out of the car at those temperatures!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts

Was not a noticeable range difference (but hard to tell as we were going down hill for most of that section).

Charging was good apart from 1 charge station did not spin up its cooling and only trickled power … the next ones were fine.

have been using the parking climate and think come high summer will be addicted to it when i go shopping so i can hop back into a cool car, around my local town its only a bit longer charging off my solar, happy days!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts

trust me I know it I spent 10 years living above the tropic of capricorn, the most important thing in picking a vehicle was how well the aircon worked!!!!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
trust me I know it I spent 10 years living above the tropic of capricorn, the most important thing in picking a vehicle was how well the aircon worked!!!!
I vote I never live in The Tropic of Capricorn :) I chose Seattle for a reason :) just wished it had not stopped living up to its reputation. Oh well.

Reactions: Gaffaa
1 - 15 of 15 Posts