Volvo XC40 Forum banner

Automatic Tailgate Not Opening

20K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  LuckySeven 
#1 ·
For some reason I can't figure, when I attempt to open the trunk hatch using either the dash button, key fob, external kick sensor, or external hatch button, the hatch will open 2-3 inches then stop. After I manually lift it open, it will close very slowly after tapping the hatch close button.

I'm aware of the height-setting procedure and performed it successfully when I first bought the XC40. Now, however, after holding the hatch close button for 3+ seconds, I hear no the indicator sound (3 beeps) that it has accepted the set hatch height. I guessed it could have been due to a low battery (COVID-19 has reduced my weekly driving), so I purchased a trickle charger to maintain it, but this has not helped. I have consulted Volvo's manual to connect the +/- terminals appropriately.

When the XC40 was brand new I remember the hatch would close slowly after being open for a long period of time with the engine off - I suppose to conserve energy. It now only opens a few inches and closes slowly all the time, engine running or not. When I take the XC40 in for the automatic braking recall, I'm going to have them check this out. Anyone else experiencing this?

#6 ·
So I took it in to the dealer to have them check it out. They said the hydraulic struts that lift the tailgate are shot and they have to replace them under warranty. I asked what could've caused it or if I had, but they just said they were defective. They are hydraulic struts with electric motors and the fluid pressure was low and couldn't lift the tailgate hatch any longer. Smells like a potential defect problem others will experience.

#8 ·
"Used to work, now it doesn't" problem. I suspect the sensor is too dirty to work. At least I'd try to clean it. If I could find it. The OM says the sensor is under the rear bumper. Darned if I can find it. Has anyone had any luck with finding and cleaning it?

I'm going to turn the car over to the dealership for the PA annual inspection. Obviously the problem can be addressed then, but I'd like to DIY.

#9 ·
"Used to work, now it doesn't" problem. I suspect the sensor is too dirty to work. At least I'd try to clean it. If I could find it. The OM says the sensor is under the rear bumper. Darned if I can find it. Has anyone had any luck with finding and cleaning it?

I'm going to turn the car over to the dealership for the PA annual inspection. Obviously the problem can be addressed then, but I'd like to DIY.
If this helps, the under-bumper 'hatch kick' sensor is directly under the bumper's proximity sensor, just left of center...

#10 ·
The location matches where I put my foot to open the tailgate. Darned if I can see anything that looks even vaguely like some type of sensor. I'm inclined to think it's not optical. If it's another proximity sensor, something like the bumper sensor, it should be visible.

Oh well, I'll let the service people explain where they hid it.

#12 ·
Having the car for > 1 Year, I'm still perplexed by the "kick", worked 1 out of 20. At Dealer, they had multiple people try it, and the odds got better....1 out of 10. Due to my impatient, I didn't "see" a viable strategy worth waiting for when it was merely watching a few fellas throwing kicks around at various spots and distance.....and murmuring "Hmmmm....why doesn't it work ?"

Note collected were.....1) Make sure it's clean at the bottom 2) Kick and step back 3) Sensor is below the "V"

I have yet to find a consistent method......... it's embarrassing at grocery parking lot with hands full and kicking feverishly !
So I'll pick a day when I'm PATIENT enough to do it at my home !

In short, for me, it's something i can "live with" hence haven't really spent time on it.....

#13 ·
Having the car for > 1 Year, I'm still perplexed by the "kick", worked 1 out of 20. At Dealer, they had multiple people try it, and the odds got better....1 out of 10. Due to my impatient, I didn't "see" a viable strategy worth waiting for when it was merely watching a few fellas throwing kicks around at various spots and distance.....and murmuring "Hmmmm....why doesn't it work ?"

Note collected were.....1) Make sure it's clean at the bottom 2) Kick and step back 3) Sensor is below the "V"

I have yet to find a consistent method......... it's embarrassing at grocery parking lot with hands full and kicking feverishly !
So I'll pick a day when I'm PATIENT enough to do it at my home !

In short, for me, it's something i can "live with" hence haven't really spent time on it.....
I used to have real trouble with it until I learned to step back after kicking. Now it seems to work 95%. Happy days!

Reactions: MMK
#14 ·
We have a 2019 and the liftgate opens all the way then comes down a few inches. It's been doing this for half a year now and just today the plastic tube over the driver's side motor cracked and the liftgate stopped and did not fully close. There have been rust stains on this strut motor for a while. I ordered a replacement Volvo motor today. You can also get a pair of motors from Partsgeek for a bit less. If you go to look up the Volvo P/N's, you will see it was discontinued and replaced by a new set of P/N's. Clearly the originals were problematic so get them changed if you're having problems and still in warranty.