Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason I can't figure, when I attempt to open the trunk hatch using either the dash button, key fob, external kick sensor, or external hatch button, the hatch will open 2-3 inches then stop. After I manually lift it open, it will close very slowly after tapping the hatch close button.

I'm aware of the height-setting procedure and performed it successfully when I first bought the XC40. Now, however, after holding the hatch close button for 3+ seconds, I hear no the indicator sound (3 beeps) that it has accepted the set hatch height. I guessed it could have been due to a low battery (COVID-19 has reduced my weekly driving), so I purchased a trickle charger to maintain it, but this has not helped. I have consulted Volvo's manual to connect the +/- terminals appropriately.

When the XC40 was brand new I remember the hatch would close slowly after being open for a long period of time with the engine off - I suppose to conserve energy. It now only opens a few inches and closes slowly all the time, engine running or not. When I take the XC40 in for the automatic braking recall, I'm going to have them check this out. Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My auto tailgate works maybe once for every ten times I use.I plan on discussing with them the next time I take it in for service.Purchased Feb 2020.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My auto tailgate works maybe once for every ten times I use.I plan on discussing with them the next time I take it in for service.Purchased Feb 2020.
I used to have this problem, but someone posted a great tip... make sure to back away after kicking in... now I get 9 out of 10 (instead of 1 out of 10).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used to have this problem, but someone posted a great tip... make sure to back away after kicking in... now I get 9 out of 10 (instead of 1 out of 10).
Thank you for the tip. I have followed that procedure and had the fob in hand and still not a consistent response.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I took it in to the dealer to have them check it out. They said the hydraulic struts that lift the tailgate are shot and they have to replace them under warranty. I asked what could've caused it or if I had, but they just said they were defective. They are hydraulic struts with electric motors and the fluid pressure was low and couldn't lift the tailgate hatch any longer. Smells like a potential defect problem others will experience.

·
Registered
84 Posts
These struts are made by the same company that makes them for other brand vehicles. Occasionally you just get a bad one. I doubt there is a major issue with these as the XC40 has been made now for two plus years and this is the first time I've heard of a bad strut.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts