Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 XC40 T5/R-Design/AWD/Polestar Engineered/Black on Black
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Florida. Here and in many other states it is required to drive with low beams whenever rain requires wipers. I cannot find any way to have the lights automatically turn on when using the wipers in daylight. Is this feature not available? How could Volvo not include this?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Perhaps Volvo considered that if you live in a place where you were required to turn on your headlights whenever you were required to use your wipers that you would remember to turn them on yourself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Stan, but, when you consider that most cars these days are equipped with auto headlights, rain sensing wipers, etc. we rarely have to remember to turn them on ourselves. Even my Grand Cherokee does it automatically. I’m surprised that with all the technology in new Volvos, this feature is not included.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I live in Florida. Here and in many other states it is required to drive with low beams whenever rain requires wipers. I cannot find any way to have the lights automatically turn on when using the wipers in daylight. Is this feature not available? How could Volvo not include this?
Is sounds like your lighting settings are not properly set... turn it to "AUTO" and watch your lighting become magical!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is sounds like your lighting settings are not properly set... turn it to "AUTO" and watch your lighting become magical!
Thanks for the reply. Are you saying that low beams and tail lights will activate when using wipers during daylight if set to AUTO?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Are you saying that low beams and tail lights will activate when using wipers during daylight if set to AUTO?
If have no idea...

What I do know is having it on AUTO keeps some form of lighting on all the time. So I am assuming lights are on when the wipers are active.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So..... Back to my original question. Is there a way to automatically activate low beams and tail lights when wipers are on, day or night?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The car has daytime running lights that are on at all times.. rain or shine.... does that not comply with the laws of Florida?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The simple answer is no. Volvo does not have this feature. I had a car once that had this feature and now I have forgotten which. The lights came on with the wipers were used.

·
163 Posts
My 2017 Ford did this. I think Volvo’s theory is that the DRLs are satisfactory unless it’s truly dark enough for the daylight sensor to activate the headlamps. Works for me; the DRLs are bright after all, and the tail lamps are always on in the AUTO position too. Here in IL we have the same law. I can’t imagine being pulled over because the DRLs are on instead of the headlamps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Are you sure about the tail lights been on all the time with the switch on "auto"?. We only use the "auto" function and our tail lights are not on all the time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My advice:
Auto headlight work really good, mean it does the job. Auto wipers it may be active click on it ( icon or symbol) I think it is standard on XC40.
Modern car make our live easy but doesn’t all the job for us.
stay safe and be healthy.

·
163 Posts
Are you sure about the tail lights been on all the time with the switch on "auto"?. We only use the "auto" function and our tail lights are not on all the time.
You are right. This apparently doesn't apply to US models and/or they've changed it. In "Auto," the tail lamps only come on in darkness.

·
Registered
2020 Volvo XC40 T5 R-Design
19 Posts
I live in the bay area of california and when it does rain here i noticed that my DRL remain on and my side markers and tail lights turn on. my headlights do not turn on though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts