Volvo XC40 Forum banner

Read carefully and select the most appropriate choice:

• Applied Aug update via a dealer service visit.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Applied Aug update via OTA and it was successful.

Votes: 22 50.0%
  • Applied Aug update via OTA and my car was bricked.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Received Aug update via OTA, but the install failed and retry worked.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Received Aug update via OTA, but the install failed and keeps failing.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Received Aug update via OTA, but I have chosen to wait or deny installing it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never got the opportunity to install the Aug OTA update before Sept 27th.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Never got a notification to install the Aug OTA update before Sept 27th, but I got the email.

Votes: 2 4.5%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is regarding the OTA software update email that many have received on Sept 17th.
Don't answer before Sept 27th unless you've already processed the update.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The OTA updated successfully installed on mine. It took a 78 minutes to complete. Upgraded from the 'April' update to 'August' update. Android kernel version was March 18th, now it is June 2nd.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Seems like you're treating Sept 27 as a "deadline". I really don't think Volvo's email means to imply that we have to update within 10 days, or lose the opportunity. I think it just means they plan to push the software to everyone on the email within 10 days. "10 days" is THEIR (self-imposed) deadline, not ours.

I'd expect the update package to continue to be available as long as needed, or at least until the next one is posted.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems like you're treating Sept 27 as a "deadline".
Kind of, but I'm not assuming that Volvo will revoke it after the 27th. Being that this poll only lasts until just after the 27th, I thought it would be interesting to see how many vehicles fall into each scenario based on their deadline.
Constructing a poll is not easy - I see that 4 people have already either misinterpreted the last 2 choices or they're able to predict the future.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think I bricked my car. I got the message to apply the update on the infotainment screen. I parked in my garage, plugged the charger in, and then locked the doors to start the process. Shortly after I got a notification from the Volvo Cars app that the update started. 10 minutes later and I got another notification that the update failed. I waited a couple hours because I wasn’t sure if it would automatically retry or not.

After a few hours I checked in my car. The car did not respond to my key fob and I could not unlock the doors electronically. I had to use the backup key to manually unlock the driver door— the cylinder is hidden behind the pull handle.

After getting in the car, the infotainment screen woke up and said that I would need to service the car before updating. It suggested using Volvo On Call to do so. Since it’s midnight here, I decided to leave it alone. Got back out of the csr and I’m unable to lock the car again. No response to the key fob.

oh boy what a mess

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
141 Posts
I think I bricked my car. I got the message to apply the update on the infotainment screen. I parked in my garage, plugged the charger in, and then locked the doors to start the process. Shortly after I got a notification from the Volvo Cars app that the update started. 10 minutes later and I got another notification that the update failed. I waited a couple hours because I wasn’t sure if it would automatically retry or not.

After a few hours I checked in my car. The car did not respond to my key fob and I could not unlock the doors electronically. I had to use the backup key to manually unlock the driver door— the cylinder is hidden behind the pull handle.

After getting in the car, the infotainment screen woke up and said that I would need to service the car before updating. It suggested using Volvo On Call to do so. Since it’s midnight here, I decided to leave it alone. Got back out of the csr and I’m unable to lock the car again. No response to the key fob.

oh boy what a mess
The updates will be sent directly to your car and will complete over two phases: a download phase while the car is being driven, and an installation phase when the car isn't being driven. Please note the car cannot be charging while it is being updated and the new software is being installed, which can take up to 90 minutes.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts

oh boy what a mess
Hands you the prize as the first official brick :)
Seriously. Sorry that happened. Part of why I am considering getting the down load and then not installing it as I have no problems. (Still debating this).

Hope they fix it quickly. If you can put it in tow mode.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Wonder why download only happens while driving. Seems that during charging would be good. Even when parked it could continue the download. I cannot believe downloading would use a noticeable amount of power.

Not charging during update makes sense but I would expect the charging would be stopped during the upgrade not that it would mess up the process. Or an audio visual alarm if you try to update during charging vs the update failing and the car being in a messed up state.

Relying on consumers to follow instructions and do they right thing is not the best plan when you can possibly cover user error.

Reactions: Luckycharms

·
Registered
170 Posts

oh boy what a mess
Quick suggestion, unplug the charger, lock the door, and see if the update restarts.

During software updates, if there is a problem, the update might stop but leave the system in an incomplete state. If allowed to reinitiate the update, it will complete. This might only happen with the charger unplugged.

This might be similar to a software update on a computer that encounters a power failure during the update. The system will be unstable until you reboot and reinstall the update.

Like SeattleCat noted, I am surprised the update started with the power charger plugged in. That sounds like an issue that should not occur.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just woke up and checked on the car. The key fob works again—what a miracle!. Maybe I’ll try my luck again tonight and start the update (if the car offers it to me) without plugging in.

I did not read the email they sent out. I only saw the message on the screen about updating and there was no warning about not plugging in the car. Volvo has a lot of room for improvement in the software and UI space. Unbelievable that the car would let you attempt an update while plugged in if that could potentially brick the car.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge P8 - Thunder Gray
35 Posts
Updated today! No issues with installation. Thankfully.:)

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This poll is ending tomorrow. Not as many voted as I had hoped. But, thank you for those that did.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm not sure which category I fall into: never got the email, and OTA was never downloaded / pushed to car. So, I checked the second to last option: "Never got the opportunity to install the Aug OTA update before Sept 27th."

·
Registered
57 Posts
Same. I picked up my car on July 15th and it has the June 2nd kernel date. So do I already have it? No idea.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for clarifying @afung and @John M.

I'm guessing that @John M already has the update. I can't distinguish any operational differences between the July & August updates. They are likely the same for North America since I have the June 2nd kernel as well. Therefore, maybe the better voting choice would be a dealer visit is what got you to that version.

If I remember correctly, I think @afung was a part of the earlier 'June' OTA update. I would have thought that the July/Aug update would have been offered as well. I'm puzzled. :unsure:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yep, I did get the earlier June OTA update, but not yet the August one. Hope to get it soon!

Thank you for clarifying @afung and @John M.

I'm guessing that @John M already has the update. I can't distinguish any operational differences between the July & August updates. They are likely the same for North America since I have the June 2nd kernel as well. Therefore, maybe the better voting choice would be a dealer visit is what got you to that version.

If I remember correctly, I think @afung was a part of the earlier 'June' OTA update. I would have thought that the July/Aug update would have been offered as well. I'm puzzled. :unsure:

·
Registered
36 Posts
This poll is ending tomorrow. Not as many voted as I had hoped. But, thank you for those that did.
You gave us non-OTA folks 24 hours to vote. I didn’t receive the email or the update, and I wasn’t on the forum yesterday.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts