Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
To save a click

Model Year 2021:

Updates from August 2021.
  • Improvements of the engine control system’s optimization.
  • Stability, performance and feature improvements of the driver support systems.
  • Robustness improvements and bugfixes for connectivity.
  • Fixed duplicates from iPhone in Favorite list for Phone.
  • Mobile app support: Engine Remote start only for certain markets.
  • Automatic resume of media playback: When the driver enters the car to drive away, last played media will automatically resume so that the user does not need to manually click Play with every start up.
  • Odometer mileage is no longer always shown in the driver display. To view odometer mileage and other vehicle statistics, press the center button “O” on the panel of the right hand side of the steering wheel.
  • Climate timers accessible from the Mobile app.
Model Year 2022:

Updates from August 2021.
  • Stability, performance and feature improvements of the driver support systems.
  • Mobile app support: Engine Remote start only for certain markets.
  • Automatic resume of media playback: When the driver enters the car to drive away, last played media will automatically resume so that the user does not need to manually click Play with every start up.
  • Odometer mileage is no longer always shown in the driver display. To view odometer mileage and other vehicle statistics, press the center button “O” on the panel of the right hand side of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
225 Posts
Misleading. They erased the "Updates from July 2021" title and substituted it with "August" and then added 2 more bullets. It was just:

Updates from July 2021.
  • Mobile app support: Engine Remote start (synchronized with mobile app release).

And the climate timers feature is part of the VOC app which already got updated OTA through a different channel. We all should have it already:

·
Registered
2021 P8
52 Posts
Misleading. They erased the "Updates from July 2021" title and substituted it with "August" and then added 2 more bullets. It was just:

Updates from July 2021.
  • Mobile app support: Engine Remote start (synchronized with mobile app release).

And the climate timers feature is part of the VOC app which already got updated OTA through a different channel. We all should have it already:
I think you may be right. Anyone have the download apply and can share the version number?

·
Registered
100 Posts
When I check the update section, it lists the July improvements, butni never got any kind of notification that update had been downloaded or installed. Do OTA updates happen completely in the background?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I received the June update via OTA, and it was impossible to not know it. There was a notification that the update was ready everytime I entered the car. I had to trigger the start of the update from the infotainment screen, then exit and lock the car. VoC gave a notification on my phone when the update was complete. When I returned to the car, I was able to unlock it, and was informed on the infotainment screen that an OTA update had completed.

FWIW, I actually call it the June downgrade, since the car worked better before the change in software, and further, Volvo removed the Steering Assist control from the steering wheel, basically making it useless to me.

·
Registered
135 Posts
And by the way, Volvo is being deliberately deceptive about what level of software is running on your car.

You can go to Settings - System - About and see a jumble of incomprehensible info for Kernel Version and Build Number. Volvo has never equated either to a specific update. In my case these values only changed once after the June downgrade.

However, if you go to Settings - System - Software update, it will tell you your software is up to date, and offer you a link to the release notes. Immediately after the June downgrade it listed the 'Updates from June'. Last week it listed the 'Updates from July', and today it lists the 'Updates from August', suggesting that my car is up to date with the 'Updates from August', which is total crap.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yes, mine says the same (August release notes/software "up to date") which is why I was wondering if updates are being done in the background, but i guess they aren't.
There are no "background" UPDATES - only background DOWNLOADS. . You'll be notified when an OTA update has been downloaded in the background while driving. Along with a big scary warning about bricking your car if you don't follow directions exactly - which you'll have to think about really hard before explicitly tapping confirm to install.

The update process (for those lucky few who've gotten OTA updates so far) is anything but "silent".

·
Registered
130 Posts
Like some others, this morning I got an SRS Airbag warning. In making an appointment for presumed airbag replacement, this recall was waiting in the service website for my car:

Recall R10078: XC40 Recharge Software Upgrade

So, for those, like me, who have been waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for the OTA update, log into your local dealer service system and see if there is an official 'recall' software update notice - then you won't waste time bringing it in if it hasn't been released for your VIN yet.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
225 Posts
Recall R10078: XC40 Recharge Software Upgrade
I saw that a couple of months ago. I don't know about your exact case, but I think there is a glitch in their reservation system where it thinks that that Recall R10078 needs to be applied to the car.
In my case, I double-checked at the service counter and saw on their computer screen that my car had that recall applied already.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Recall R10078 is basically the April software update (Mar 18 kernel date). This recall is what held up many of our cars in their destination ports this spring, before they could be delivered. I’d be surprised if there were any P8s that didn’t have this yet, maybe some early dealer demo cars that were sold.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We received the email saying that we were going to get the August update last week - but it hasn't been received yet....

I think the "Update Software" option in the info screen is more about updating Android Automotive - and I assume that is unto date.

I think in my car the Google Automotive - and certainly Google Maps does update automatically without any user input....

The Car Updates do require manual confirmation to install after they have been downloaded automatically in the background

I have logged a case with Volvo about the June/July update, where they removed the ability to turn off steering assist from the steering wheel - This is dangerous in my opinion..... If you think the same - please log a case with Volvo!

·
Registered
XC40 P8 2021 - Sage Green
66 Posts
Just received the VOLVO email which announces that an OTA update will be available soon for my car + explains the whole process (download in the background, install during up to 90 minutes, no charge possible while it is running, etc.).
Still not available when checking for updates via the in-car central display.
Wondering when it will happen.

Edit: maybe the reason why it never downloads is because I don't drive the car long enough (apparently that's the only possibility for downloads to happen??)

·
Premium Member
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
267 Posts
I notice that as in the the OTA update are going out to Europe and GB but not North America.

I have the Tesla app on my phone so I can use PAAK for our daughter’s M3. I get more notifications about a new Tesla OTA update than OTA updates for my P8 — dozens vs. zero/zed/zilch/ziró.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The irony of scheduling service to handle the potential 2 recall notices (NHSTA has one, dealer showed another, weird) and also requested to update software...... and then you get email about the OTA software update that my car is available to get within the next 10 days. So now I'll likely get the new software from dealer and not be able to see how the OTA update works, haha. But probably better this way since I don't drive my car a ton for a long period of time which Volvo has indicated OTA only downloads 'while' driving (which seems dumb).

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
225 Posts
Me too:

your XC40 Recharge has been identified as eligible to receive a complimentary software upgrade within the next 10 days. This update will be performed over-the-air (OTA) directly to your vehicle. You do not need to visit a Volvo Retailer. With the update, you will benefit from having the latest software improving your overall driving experience. Complete details about the software upgrade can be found here.

The updates will be sent directly to your car and will complete over two phases: a download phase while the car is being driven, and an installation phase when the car isn't being driven. Please note the car cannot be charging while it is being updated and the new software is being installed, which can take up to 90 minutes.​

1 - 20 of 64 Posts