Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry if this was mentioned elsewhere.

Found this video and installed the Audiocrate Remote app (had to do it from the Google Play store on my computer, as it wouldn't show up on my Android phone)

It works! Granted, the car disables browsing while moving, but it is pretty cool to be able to bring up a Chrome browser. Video works great.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
691 Posts
Sorry if this was mentioned elsewhere.

Found this video and installed the Audiocrate app (had to do it from the Google Play store on my computer, as it wouldn't show up on my Android phone)

It works! Granted, the car disables browsing while moving, but it is pretty cool to be able to bring up a Chrome browser. Video works great.
Is this the correct one ??

·
Registered
691 Posts
Ladies and gentlemen..... IT WORKED!
Now, can you do the same with smartphones ? Sure !
BUT....BUT.....it's another when it's SURROUND SOUND from the Car !
Brilliant brilliant find -- thank you all!

Now.....if only it could "stream"...... time will tell !

·
Registered
691 Posts
Here's the author's website - Android Automotive — NeLeSo

Looks like they are basically developing for the Polestar 2. Hope to see more from them.

Here's the documentation to develop on the platform from Google - Add Android Automotive OS support to your media app
Can we stream it ? I tried to download CNBC app (hopeful) to try and watch "Live" and it came up that some sort of text was not supported. In time to come, there will be a way somehow...... Totally excited about a great start though!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Tried this yesterday - wow, great. Total hack job, not fully functional nor user friendly, but it basically looks like Chome with stuff missing. YouTube and I guess most media sites works fine, including my Google account. BBC Sounds works great which is what I listen to a lot, waiting for an app for this.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Tried this yesterday - wow, great. Total hack job, not fully functional nor user friendly, but it basically looks like Chome with stuff missing. YouTube and I guess most media sites works fine, including my Google account. BBC Sounds works great which is what I listen to a lot, waiting for an app for this.
With CNBC, BBC, and CNN - I'll be a happy camper. Just a matter of time before someone figures out the back door!
Great job though, a great start !

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reading through the documentation about creating an app for Android Automotive, a specific request is made by Google to not allow unlocked browsers. When apps bring up info screens, etc., they can use the browser API to lock users to that page. But if you don't, and instead load google.com, you can get to the rest of the internet (that's why there is no address bar either).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hrmm. Can get the app installed, but the Google tab is missing from the settings screen - only the 3 'test' tabs are displayed. Any suggestions?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts