Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the US the XC40 Recharge is almost in a class by itself. It is more costly than most other EVs in the space while the iPace is at least $10-15K more. The Audi Q4 (based on ID.4) looks to be coming in right around the XC40 price points. Early previews for it look promising. And loaded AWD with S-Line it is right around the XC40 P8 Loaded. The Volvo has over 100 more HP and is faster, but for most people I think the Audi may be a viable cross shop for the XC40 P8. Some of the previews mention HUD for US, but I see no mention of it on the Audi website. Europe always get sht cool features. Not a fan of the squared steering wheel.

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
137 Posts
I'd say the Mach-E and Tesla Y are also in the same class, as they can easily be optioned to the same price as a P8. But the Audi is the only one I'd cross-shop personally.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Infinity's GV60 is also looking like a strong competitor. It can come with with ventilated seats and HUD, two items missing in the XC40 P8.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd say the Mach-E and Tesla Y are also in the same class, as they can easily be optioned to the same price as a P8. But the Audi is the only one I'd cross-shop personally.

I'll give you the Model Y, but Mach E at least interior wise not in same class and the ride quality when I drove it, immediately smacked of American Car.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Infinity's GV60 is also looking like a strong competitor. It can come with with ventilated seats and HUD, two items missing in the XC40 P8.

Do you mean Genesi GV60? Yeah that looks good, I assume loaded it will easily get to $70K. My issue with the Ioniq 5, EV6 and GV60 is they all have low ground clearance, not as bad as Mach-E, but if something is going to look like a CUV/SUV it needs to have a ground clearance more than sedans. I have a bad driveway and the Mach E bottomed out on it. Long wheelbase and low clearance not a good combination for me.

If Volvo buys back my P8 I will probably put a Q4 on order. If they fix my P8 I still may put a Q4 on order as we will want to trade in her T5 for another EV.

Reactions: DeaneG

·
Registered
270 Posts
We thought the Mach-e's ride quality was better than the Model Y's, which has the same jiggly / jarring ride as our Model 3. But overall the car was very midwest-American feeling, and not for us.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I didn't mind the mach e, but my wife did not like it. Why is the hood so long? Why can't I adjust this stearing wheel so that I can see the display and not be up too high? Why is the windshield so narrow? It feels like a boat, like your xc90. She really likes the size of her Bolt, but not the battery fires ... Once we parked the P8 in the garage I would not want the 12 inch longer mach e parked there. The dog also fits better in the back of the Volvo than the Ford.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I enjoyed driving the Mach E except in bad roads. The seating was a mess for me, could never get a comfortable position. I did like Sync 4 even though it gets a bad rap.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I wish that we could get more driving efficiency (where the electrons are going) information. To he mach-e had it and our Bolt has it. The best we get is Ta telling us 34kwh per 100 miles unless ther is a screen buried in some menu somewhere that tells us more.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I wish there were screen that broke down energy usage, how much was reclaimed by regen, etc.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
106 Posts
I wish that we could get more driving efficiency (where the electrons are going) information. To he mach-e had it and our Bolt has it. The best we get is Ta telling us 34kwh per 100 miles unless ther is a screen buried in some menu somewhere that tells us more.
Yeah I wish there were screen that broke down energy usage, how much was reclaimed by regen, etc.
Yes we agree - the Tesla Model 3 and even the Sensus Volvo plug-in hybrid cars provide a lot of info and graphs of energy usage etc. Supposedly the Polestar 2 update is going to add that feature in future - we can only hope Volvo gives us similar functionality in a future update!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seems my local Audi dealers are being greedy. They want $1K - $2K deposit to order a Q5 E-Tron, with no ETA on delivery other than shipments are expected to start in November. Audi needs to do the VW things, $100 online deposit, $500 non-refundable when ready to build. Or even Volvo, $500 deposit. To tie up $2K for what will likely be 6+ months is a bit crazy.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Seems my local Audi dealers are being greedy. They want $1K - $2K deposit to order a Q5 E-Tron, with no ETA on delivery other than shipments are expected to start in November. Audi needs to do the VW things, $100 online deposit, $500 non-refundable when ready to build. Or even Volvo, $500 deposit. To tie up $2K for what will likely be 6+ months is a bit crazy.
Think I got a good deal in Oz for the Recharge, rang up when they were just getting ready to release it and was able to reserve one subject to a test drive, they never got around to wanting a deposit and all worked out well, got one of the only 20 released in western australia this year, next shipment is march april sometime maybe

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah very few good deals on any car right now. So always good when a deal was negotiated a few months ago.

Reactions: Gaffaa

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah very few good deals on any car right now. So always good when a deal was negotiated a few months ago.
Given the Australian dollar has gone down, the chip shortage, and the way the cars sold out so quickly I think the price or the features will change for the next shipment. I noticed the polestar 2 is even being released with all the drive and battery options to try and keep the price down, rather then just the dual motor large battery.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah not a good time for car buying. Manufacturers have no incentive to add content especially if it may make the car harder to source.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I do not think that the Audi has one-pedal driving. I prefer not to accept something that is dumbed down, especially from Audi.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do not think that the Audi has one-pedal driving. I prefer not to accept something that is dumbed down, especially from Audi.
VW/Audi use "B" mode which does similar function, but it does not hold the car at a complete stop if I recall.

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
137 Posts
I believe you can adjust the aggressiveness of the B/regen mode on the Audi, but I don't know if it's as strong as the P8. I don't know if the AWD version is even available for anyone to test drive yet.

The other tech is very tempting, though. I really like the HUD and the LED lights.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts