Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm intrigued by something I just read, and would like some advice!

My previous car (2017 Audi Q7) had Adaptive Cruise with Automatic Speed Limiter, which would drop down the speed of the car when the road signs changed. I found this so useful, especially when driving through British towns and villages where speeds change a lot, and I've really missed it since getting my XC40 Recharge (with Adaptive Cruise/Pilot Assist). Well, I had assumed it wasn't on my car, but I happened to see online (and now seen in the online user manual) that the car DOES have it?

It does say it's market-limited, but I don't know why it wouldn't be here in the UK when other cars have it over here. Can anyone give me any advice on how to activate it? Should I have it? (I have a MY21 XC40 Recharge P8 'First Edition', which is like the Ultimate with every possible option added, so if it's there, I should have it!). I do have the speed limit display on my car, and the adaptive cruise. Surely the two should be able to work together? :)

·
Registered
XC40 P8 Recharge 2021
35 Posts
We have a 2021 XC40 without adaptive cruise control. You can switch between normal cruise and speed limiter in the driving menu on the centre screen. When in speed limiter mode you can turn on automatic limiting there as well. This works well when it sees speed limit signs, however, I think it also tries to use speed limits from the maps as well and the data is not so good, especially when the national speed limit applies. It sometimes switches between 50 and 60 for no apparent reason.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have a 2021 XC40 without adaptive cruise control. You can switch between normal cruise and speed limiter in the driving menu on the centre screen. When in speed limiter mode you can turn on automatic limiting there as well. This works well when it sees speed limit signs, however, I think it also tries to use speed limits from the maps as well and the data is not so good, especially when the national speed limit applies. It sometimes switches between 50 and 60 for no apparent reason.
This seems strange that you can only use cruise OR speed limiter - In my old Audi Q7, you could set the Adaptive Cruise at, for example, 70MPH and it would keep you at 70MPH unless you went through a bit of road with a max of 60MPH, then drop you down, then back up again at 70MPH etc. This is especially useful on variable speed motorways... Wonder why Volvo can't combine the two?

·
Registered
Volvo XC40 Recharge Standard P8 BEV 2022
1 Posts
I have a 2022 XC40 Recharge and I'm in the UK. It's what was sold to me as the "Core" model, still twin engine but nonetheless mostly basic for what is marketed as a luxury car. It has cruise control and speed limiter. It doesn't have adaptive cruise control.

I've never used the speed limiter, because the car's idea of the speed limit is often not what the road actually is limited to.

I have a 2023 XC40 Recharge ("Ultimate") on order, and this claims to have adaptive cruise control, which I am looking forward to. If adaptive cruise control works as the same as it did in my prior XC60, then its not governed by the car's speed limit understanding, but by the speed you set it to. Given my concern re speed limiter I think that is my preference, asis.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got mine just 2 weeks ago and it does not change speed according to speed limits. I also did not find an option to activate.
When ordering I was aware that this would not be available. I was disappointed then, but am glad now, since the system makes A LOT of mistakes in reading signs. I would guess a 30% accuracy, which is really not acceptable für 2022.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm intrigued by something I just read, and would like some advice!

My previous car (2017 Audi Q7) had Adaptive Cruise with Automatic Speed Limiter, which would drop down the speed of the car when the road signs changed. I found this so useful, especially when driving through British towns and villages where speeds change a lot, and I've really missed it since getting my XC40 Recharge (with Adaptive Cruise/Pilot Assist). Well, I had assumed it wasn't on my car, but I happened to see online (and now seen in the online user manual) that the car DOES have it?

It does say it's market-limited, but I don't know why it wouldn't be here in the UK when other cars have it over here. Can anyone give me any advice on how to activate it? Should I have it? (I have a MY21 XC40 Recharge P8 'First Edition', which is like the Ultimate with every possible option added, so if it's there, I should have it!). I do have the speed limit display on my car, and the adaptive cruise. Surely the two should be able to work together? :)
I had this in my Jaguar I-PACE. Use it for fun to prank a friend driving my car. No matter how much he pushed the accelerator pedal it won't go past over 5-10 mph of speed limit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts