Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it is possible to install the Apple Music app? The Google Play store doesn't have it, and when I tell "Hey Google" to play a song on Apple Music, it says it needs to install the Apple Music app. However I can't find a way to download/install.

· Registered
549 Posts
As I understand it— someone at Android needs to authorize the app to work with AAOS (Android Automotive OS) which is what we fun. It is akin to having apps that not all phones can download. There may be some way to side load the app but I haven’t actually seen or read about that anywhere on these forums, nor on the Polestar forums.

In other words, until Android or Volvo approve the app for our cars, we wont be able to download it normally/natively. I wouldn’t hold your breathe for that app to come anytime soon. Volvo owners are still waiting for apps that Polestar has already gotten, like ABRP.

· Registered
58 Posts
I really wish they would allow download of the Apple Music app. If I was able to use this, I doubt I would really miss not having CarPlay since 99% of my CarPlay use was either Google Maps or Apple Music.

Seems like Volvo would be motivated to allow us Apple users access to Apple Music while we are waiting for CarPlay support since the app apparently already exists. But like arijaycomet said... I'm not holding my breath.

· Registered
38 Posts
I really wish they would allow download of the Apple Music app. If I was able to use this, I doubt I would really miss not having CarPlay since 99% of my CarPlay use was either Google Maps or Apple Music.

Seems like Volvo would be motivated to allow us Apple users access to Apple Music while we are waiting for CarPlay support since the app apparently already exists. But like arijaycomet said... I'm not holding my breath.
Exactly. CarPlay for me was really just Music and Maps. The phone works just fine without CarPlay - though I wish we had a physical pick-up/hang-up button - and Google Maps is great.

We are able to "install" Apple Music on Google Home devices so that suggests that the issue is with Volvo, not Google.

· Registered
58 Posts
The app is most likely not designed to fit the UI requirements of AAOS. There is also most likely other dependencies that need to be adjusted within the code to make it work.

· Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
372 Posts
While that would seem like an acceptable workaround, it would be nice to be able to see the album artwork, etc. via the Apple Music app.
According to unofficial reports Apple Carplay app is supposed to be part of an OTA update in week 16 (I.e., late April). No confirmation from VC, but, then, VC gives little advance info about OTA updates.

· Registered
2 Posts
I remember when I bought a 2019 Acura RDX in 2018 it took a year before they got Apple Carplay and Android Auto so I dont mind waiting. But I honestly think Volvo thinks the Google based system is better than both especially if they work out the issues and that way that will charge a subscription for it later on. Also Apple Carplay and Android Auto normally dont use the whole screen in most cars which makes the Google based system nicer.

· Registered
31 Posts
Honestly could care less about Car Play if they just added Apple Music to the play store. SoundCloud and Bandcamp too… but now I’m just getting greedy. Their audio app selection is sad.
But I guess the second CarPlay is available I’ll use it full time so that I don’t have to rely on Bluetooth and trying to select songs on my phone…

· Registered
12 Posts
Apple needs to build the app and publish to Android Automotive OS' Play store just like they do to mobile Android OS. There is nothing Google or Volvo can do here. Given there are only few cars on road with AAOS, there is almost no chance Apple will dedicate time and resources to develop an for it in near future. So if you are an Apple Music user, your options are either suck it up and move to Spotify or use bluetooth and stream from your phone or continue to wait for Android Auto/Carplay. I was an Apple Music user too and I picked the first option and I'm very happy with Spotify.

· Registered
448 Posts
Apple needs to build the app and publish to Android Automotive OS' Play store just like they do to mobile Android OS. There is nothing Google or Volvo can do here. Given there are only few cars on road with AAOS, there is almost no chance Apple will dedicate time and resources to develop an for it in near future. So if you are an Apple Music user, your options are either suck it up and move to Spotify or use bluetooth and stream from your phone or continue to wait for Android Auto/Carplay. I was an Apple Music user too and I picked the first option and I'm very happy with Spotify.
Spotify is fine for the car, but doesn't play nice with HomePods....

Reactions: trvs

· Registered
12 Posts
You can change the audio quality to Very High from Spotify's settings in your car and IIRC thats 320 kbps. If you tell me thats not good enough for car, I donno what to tell you. JFYI Tesla's Spotify app is limited to 96 kbps (I'm not sure if they recently upped it to 128 kbps). I donno why some people tend to nit pick silly little things rather than accepting the things as is and just enjoying.

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Ultimate
267 Posts
You can change the audio quality to Very High from Spotify's settings in your car and IIRC thats 320 kbps. If you tell me thats not good enough for car, I donno what to tell you. JFYI Tesla's Spotify app is limited to 96 kbps (I'm not sure if they recently upped it to 128 kbps). I donno why some people tend to nit pick silly little things rather than accepting the things as is and just enjoying.
Haha this was actually a factor (Tesla Spotify bitrate) in my choice.

· Registered
31 Posts
Great but I don’t want to pay for two music subscriptions, and Apple Music has lossless audio quality which you can definitely hear the difference on a home system. I’m not nitpicking… all I said is it would be nice to have a native Apple Music app in my vehicle. I dunno why some people have to debate stupid things.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.