Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
As a runner I don't like to run while carrying the giant key fob. Enter the small sport key! I was thrilled to give it a try but how do I lock the car (assuming I am driving with the normal key fob in the vehicle) and run with only the sport key? Seems like a basic question but I can't figure it out! 馃

Any advice appreciated!!!

Registered
i wonder if you can just lock the car by putting your thumb on the soft part of the door handle. It's how I lock the car with the big key fob fastened to my backpack when I hike or bike.

Registered
You can't lock the the regular key in side the car by pressing on the door handle if you want to run with the "sport" key,

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
You can't lock the the regular key in side the car by pressing on the door handle if you want to run with the "sport" key,
Yes, still confused on how to lock with just the sport key. Or even WITH the large key fob inside the car I can't get it to lock while outside which I understand since no one wants to lock their keys inside the car which this seems to be preventing. The mystery continues. Should I be able to lock the car with just the sport key. And if not how do I lock it :(

Registered
You can lock the car with the sport key. That is what it is for. How, I don't know. We have not tried it yet.

Registered
Since the large key fob being inside the car will prevent it from being locked, I suspect the only way to lock it when you go running might be to leave the big key fob at home. I don't see any other way around it.

Registered
Maybe if you're going to run or swim, leave the big key fob at home and take the sport key.

I know that I locked my big keyfob in the car by locking the doors with the app while the keyfob was in the car. I used the sport key to open the door. But this doesn't work for running because then you have to carry your phone too. But in my case, I bring my phone on runs/hikes/biking to record myself. I also bring the phone that's IP67 rated.

Too bad the sport key's battery is officially not replaceable; I assume it's because the seal might be broken after getting to the battery.

Registered
Just for some empirical data, ...

I just took my big key fob, placed it on the center console, closed the door and locked it with my thumb on the door handle while holding the sport key. The mirrors retracted and the app indicates the car as locked.

I have a 2020 XC40 T5 R-design but don't think it matters -- maybe there's some setting I have - no idea.

I then went back to the car and unlocked it with my thumb on the door handle again and took the key fob out and finished typing this message.

Dennis

Registered
Since the large key fob being inside the car will prevent it from being locked, I suspect the only way to lock it when you go running might be to leave the big key fob at home. I don't see any other way around it.
Interesting, I just proved I can lock the key fob in my car with the the sport key in hand (at least in my case).

Registered
2020 Volvo XC40 T5 R-Design
i know with the red key if you lock that key in the car it disables it and if someone breaks into the car without unlocking it with the app or a volvo key that red key will stay disabled. that's how you're able to do the virtual key and let someone else drive your car is leave the red key in your car. i wonder if you lock a normal key in the car does it also disable it?

Registered
In my owner's manual, it shows a specific spot in the glove compartment where you're supposed to put the valet fob, then use the glove compartment key to lock it in. Then you can use the sport key to lock and unlock the door.

I guess if you don't lock the glove compartment, and just locked the car doors, you'd be fine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Y'all are blowing my mind! 馃く Why didn't I think of using the app to lock the car? I always run with my phone! I have a lot of new things to try! If I come up with something new and/or exciting I'll certainly report back! 馃槉馃槉馃槉馃槉

Registered
You found one solution by using the phone app. A second is to buy a Faraday bag and put the key fob into it while using the sport key. They cost only about $12 and prevent any signals going out. Plus, they are good to use at home to protect them and other devices from scammers stealing the codes.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Using the app + sport key worked like a charm just like you guys said it would! I will be a happy 馃弮鈥嶁檧锔 this evening!

I'll continue to follow this forum to see what else I can learn everyday!

- GBR!

Registered
As a runner I don't like to run while carrying the giant key fob. Enter the small sport key! I was thrilled to give it a try but how do I lock the car (assuming I am driving with the normal key fob in the vehicle) and run with only the sport key? Seems like a basic question but I can't figure it out! 馃

Any advice appreciated!!!
How does one get this small sport key fob? I have an XC40...

Registered
2020 Volvo XC40 T5 R-Design
How does one get this small sport key fob? I have an XC40...
mine came with the car. I was handed 2 keys, a red key and a small sports key. If you don't have one i guess you buy it from the dealership.

IMG_1582.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts