Volvo XC40 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Can't blame Elon wanting a piece of the action for universal access to a premier network that's been built entirely from scratch with Tesla's own initiative and funds. The president needs to put any personal rancor aside and get on with it. Almost overnight, the government would have its national working EV charging infrastructure, its stated goal.
Is the only thing stopping it a president and Elon interaction or would it still have to go through the house and senate and all that?

I hate the way the press says such and such a bill is passed and I think ish goody then a month later it passes again then it has to … and at some point it gets rejected. Still safeguards can be good as well :) just as a Brit it gets confusing sometimes.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Can't blame Elon wanting a piece of the action for universal access to a premier network that's been built entirely from scratch with Tesla's own initiative and funds. The president needs to put any personal rancor aside and get on with it. Almost overnight, the government would have its national working EV charging infrastructure, its stated goal.
I wouldn’t mind providing funds to cover the cost of adding CCS cables. But not just a cash payment to open up the network. There’s money to be made by opening it up, and plenty of places still to be built out. Maybe some of that Twitter money could be better spent on something that adds value to society.

Reactions: Luckycharms

·
Registered
14 Posts
Typically you don't want to use mineral-derived oils on plastics as it can cause them to swell. I used silicone dielectric lube, which does not swell most plastics. My Mini's body is definitely plastic - maybe Delrin. It wasn't too difficult to open up the Tesla side with a file to the point where I would consider using it occasionally. But I should have just returned it instead - it's basically not fit for purpose when used with a Tesla Gen2 HPWC. I read elsewhere that the Gen1 HPWC connector fits the TeslaTap mini better - so it is either a little smaller, or they tend to be worn down more with age.
You're sure the Tesla-side of the Tesla Tap Mini is plastic? Hmm....I've always thought that side was metal. Interesting. I'm surprised the designer suggested mineral oil. He seemed pretty knowledgeable. Weird.

In any case, my experience with the Tesla Tap Mini has been far superior than my small Lectron adapter, which fails to communicate properly with the Gen 3 charger and fails to start charging my XC40 until after multiple re-attempts after plugging in. Per my previous posts, that's after waiting the required amount of time (and then some) for the "handshaking" to be completed.

I'm returning the Lectron adapter...which itself has been an ongoing, weeks-long back-and-forth with Lectron "support"...really an English-to-Chinese translator they hired. It's been painful.

·
Registered
'22 C40 Fjord Blue in & out
267 Posts
You're sure the Tesla-side of the Tesla Tap Mini is plastic? Hmm....I've always thought that side was metal. Interesting. I'm surprised the designer suggested mineral oil. He seemed pretty knowledgeable. Weird.
The description of the TeslaTap mini on Amazon says it's machined out of 100% Delrin, which from what I can find generally has good oil resistance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2022 Model Y Performance with the latest Tesla home wall connector using a 60A breaker, and my wife is getting the Volvo C40 Recharge. If I get the Tesla to j1772 adapter will we be able to charge the Volvo c40 using the tesla charger even if it has a 60A breaker?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a 2022 Model Y Performance with the latest Tesla home wall connector using a 60A breaker, and my wife is getting the Volvo C40 Recharge. If I get the Tesla to j1772 adapter will we be able to charge the Volvo c40 using the tesla charger even if it has a 60A breaker?
Shouldn't be a problem, the most the C40 will draw is 48A for level 2 charging, even if more current is available from the charger.

·
Registered
Red 2022 Late XC40, Yellow 2017 BRZ
1,030 Posts
Yes, but I'd just make sure to get an adapter rated for 48 Amps. Like this one:

·
Registered
Red 2022 Late XC40, Yellow 2017 BRZ
1,030 Posts
Good luck reaching Tesla too. Musk and Tesla are having a lot of troubles lately.
The company that makes the Tesla Tap is unaffiliated with Tesla. But they seem to be an American-owned company with a phone number and email address posted on their website. Lectron may have improved lately, but I read past reviews mentioning they had trouble contacting them for returns or replacements.

·
Registered
2022, XC40 Recharge Ultimate
11 Posts
FYI for everyone having issues with the Lectron adapter (both the mini one and the one with longer cable), I've had the same thing happen with the Gen 2 Tesla charger left in my garage by the previous owner.

HOWEVER I figured out that the weight of the cable, the angle of the J1772 and the latency of the latching from the XC40 were the problem :)

Whenever I plug it now, I keep a forward and slightly up pressure on the adapter on the XC40 side for a few seconds (until I hear the latching) then let go. The whole thing hasn't failed me once ever since and it's been months of every other day usage at least! I charge at 48A (did that with both the 40A rated and the other one, no problem and my Tesla Gen 2 charger is set for 80A with a beefy circuit from the previous owner).

One more note: the latching trick also helped me with a number of Electrify America station that didn't want to handshake: It seems like the "beefier gauge" cables for the 300kW pulls the plug down enough to prevent the data handshake to begin with. Maybe the latching/plug is slightly different in Europe, no idea.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
456 Posts
Just tried Lectron Tesla to J1772 Charger Adapter with my Tesla Wall charger on my 2022 Volvo C40 - not working and fails immediately. Also waited for some other event for several minutes but nothing.
Did you wait the required 30 secs after hooking up adapter before plugging in to car.

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,117 Posts
Just tried Lectron Tesla to J1772 Charger Adapter with my Tesla Wall charger on my 2022 Volvo C40 - not working and fails immediately. Also waited for some other event for several minutes but nothing.
I recall reading that some versions of Tesla Wall Connector may require an internal DIP switch setting to work with a non-Tesla car. Not sure which ones.

In my case - the Tesla HPWC (high power wall connector) in my garage worked perfectly with both Lectron adapters (40A and 48A) on my XC40.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recall reading that some versions of Tesla Wall Connector may require an internal DIP switch setting to work with a non-Tesla car. Not sure which ones.

In my case - the Tesla HPWC (high power wall connector) in my garage worked perfectly with both Lectron adapters (40A and 48A) on my XC40.
Thanks for the responses. Yes, waited 30 seconds and more. before plugging in. Glad someone's been able to make this work but I'm out of ideas. Not sure of internal dip switches - will investigate.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts