Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
White P8 aka ORKA * OTA V2.0 * MFD 1/21 * 20" ride.
989 Posts
I have a regular TeslaTap (not the Mini). I just got it a few weeks ago and haven't had a chance to test it on my Recharge yet but it worked fine with my partner's Wrangler 4XE at a destination charger at a local hotel.
Ditto....I got it from Amazon a while back....still in the box but in the back of Car.....haven't had a chance to test it yet, got it as a "back-up" ....more so for peace of mind !

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,117 Posts
Never had an issue with both Lectron adapters (the original full-size 40A version, and the newer 48A mini version). Both start green-light charging my P8 immediately with the Telsa HPWC installed in my garage.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
96 Posts
Ditto....I got it from Amazon a while back....still in the box but in the back of Car.....haven't had a chance to test it yet, got it as a "back-up" ....more so for peace of mind !
I since tested it at a local hotel that has Tesla destination chargers. Worked fine, but I only let it charge for a short time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Tesla Tap Mini has worked fine for me, though the fit onto my home Tesla HPWC was impossibly tight even with some silicone lube. I took a rattail file to the inside of the Tesla end of the Mini, and now it's possible to mate and unmate without banging it on the garage floor.
Yes, the TeslaTap Mini is a tight fit (being metal and not plastic) and the tolerance they worked to is a little tight. You shouldn't use silicone lube though. The designer recommended a little mineral oil, which I can confirm makes a bit of a difference.

Anyone who is having to hit the thing against their garage floor is risking damage, and I've never found the fit that tight that it requires physically hitting it against anything. That's a really bad idea for high-current electrical adapters.

I'm returning the smaller Lectron adapter I bought. The Tesla Wall Charger doesn't turn blue after any amount of time plugged into the Lectron adapter, which it should if it "recognizes" the standard before attempting charging. And it never starts charging my Volvo correctly, instead forcing the car and charger to go through a couple of attempts with red and yellow lights after plugging in before finally starting. I realize that's what some others in this thread have been experiencing, and they're okay with it. However, it's not supposed to work that way, and gives me zero confidence that Lectron is adhering to other standards relating to current limiting, safety, etc.

I also don't know what the additional wear-and-tear on my Volvo's charge initiation relays might be due to all the extra attempts. It's essentially creating up to three cycles on all that circuitry for every one successful charging attempt.

The TeslaTap guys just did a much more professional job adhering to the Tesla Wall Charger and J1772 standards and are doing the conversion correctly, again, in my experience.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
The Tesla Wall Charger doesn't turn blue after any amount of time plugged into the Lectron adapter, which it should if it "recognizes" the standard before attempting charging.
What version Tesla wall charger do you have? Both Lectron adapters (large 40A and mini 48A) work fine with my Gen 1 Tesla HPWC (High Power Wall Connector). Perhaps later HPWC versions added more communication protocols?

·
Registered
14 Posts
What version Tesla wall charger do you have? Both Lectron adapters (large 40A and mini 48A) work fine with my Gen 1 Tesla HPWC (High Power Wall Connector). Perhaps later HPWC versions added more communication protocols?
I have the Gen 3 Tesla Wall Charger.

Does your Lectron adapter turn the blue light on your Gen 1 Tesla Wall Charger after the minimum 30 second wait? Also, do you get the initial failed attempts followed by eventual successful charge initiation described by myself and others in the thread? Very curious!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I have the Gen 3 Tesla Wall Charger.

Does your Lectron adapter turn the blue light on your Gen 1 Tesla Wall Charger after the minimum 30 second wait? Also, do you get the initial failed attempts followed by eventual successful charge initiation described by myself and others in the thread? Very curious!
There are no blue lights on my Gen 1. Just a green light, which is either solid (stand-by) or flashing (charging). I've never have any failed attempts - just plug in the car (via adapter) and it starts charging within about 5 seconds. Apparently the Gen 1 is a much simpler device.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Got the Lectron Mini (48amp) earlier this week - went to a tesla charger at a local hotel this afternoon to try it out. Plugged it into the Tesla charger - waited just over 30 seconds as per instructions - plugged into the Recharge and immediately began charging ramped up the amps over a minute or two up to the 48 - worked perfect.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Yes, the TeslaTap Mini is a tight fit (being metal and not plastic) and the tolerance they worked to is a little tight. You shouldn't use silicone lube though. The designer recommended a little mineral oil, which I can confirm makes a bit of a difference....
Typically you don't want to use mineral-derived oils on plastics as it can cause them to swell. I used silicone dielectric lube, which does not swell most plastics. My Mini's body is definitely plastic - maybe Delrin. It wasn't too difficult to open up the Tesla side with a file to the point where I would consider using it occasionally. But I should have just returned it instead - it's basically not fit for purpose when used with a Tesla Gen2 HPWC. I read elsewhere that the Gen1 HPWC connector fits the TeslaTap mini better - so it is either a little smaller, or they tend to be worn down more with age.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Tesla side question. We heard a few months back about the opening up of Tesla super chargers. Did that go away or is it progressing ?

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
206 Posts
Tesla side question. We heard a few months back about the opening up of Tesla super chargers. Did that go away or is it progressing ?
Its happening in Europe since the Tesla plugs are the same as other cars in Europe. In the USA Tesla plugs are entirely different BUDT I understand they are working on a adapter they will sell once they are ready to allow non-Tesla's at USA Tesla chargers. But I am sure non-Tesla cars will pay more the electricity.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I think it could take several more years. It's currently a negotiation between Elon and the federal government for funds. Elon and our president do not have a great deal of respect for each other.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I think it could take several more years. It's currently a negotiation between Elon and the federal government for funds. Elon and our president do not have a great deal of respect for each other.
And Elon has been showing a lack of follow through recently alas :( which probably does not encourage folks to make deals with him.

I don’t mind if they charge more. I just want to have the option of access. I will still probably stick with EA in general. :) but as you say this is probably years away so …

·
Registered
Red 2022 Late XC40, Yellow 2017 BRZ
1,030 Posts
Tesla wants federal money for this. Getting that money will be difficult as there are only 49 progressive votes in the Senate.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Tesla wants federal money for this. Getting that money will be difficult as there are only 49 progressive votes in the Senate.
I think he's looking for some of the $5 billion that was in the already-passed infrastructure bill.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Got the Lectron Mini (48amp) earlier this week - went to a tesla charger at a local hotel this afternoon to try it out. Plugged it into the Tesla charger - waited just over 30 seconds as per instructions - plugged into the Recharge and immediately began charging ramped up the amps over a minute or two up to the 48 - worked perfect.
This is a perfect example of where these adapters can be used safely and effectively.
I've used my old Tesla adapter on the XC40 at destination chargers a few times and it's worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can't blame Elon wanting a piece of the action for universal access to a premier network that's been built entirely from scratch with Tesla's own initiative and funds. The president needs to put any personal rancor aside and get on with it. Almost overnight, the government would have its national working EV charging infrastructure, its stated goal.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts