Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge (P8 - USA)
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apartment building replaced an old (and broken) chargepoint station with a Tesla at home charger, and they are going to have an adapter on the cable or nearby to let non-Teslas like my XC40 charge. They showed me it, I believe it is this one: Lectron - Tesla to J1772 Adapter, Max 40A & 250V - For Tesla High Powered Connector, Destination Charger (White)Default Title
(Lectron - Tesla to J1772 Adapter, Max 40A & 250V - For Tesla High Powered Connector, Destination Charger (White))

Anyone ever use these or have problems? I'd assume I would not need to change any Amp settings in my XC40 would I?
The prior chargepoint put out ~6 to 7W, so assuming amperage isn't super high anyways as it could get up to 11/12 which I believe is the higher end W for that A right?

Thanks for thoughts/feedback!

·
Registered
99 Posts
My apartment building replaced an old (and broken) chargepoint station with a Tesla at home charger, and they are going to have an adapter on the cable or nearby to let non-Teslas like my XC40 charge. They showed me it, I believe it is this one: Lectron - Tesla to J1772 Adapter, Max 40A & 250V - For Tesla High Powered Connector, Destination Charger (White)Default Title
(Lectron - Tesla to J1772 Adapter, Max 40A & 250V - For Tesla High Powered Connector, Destination Charger (White))

Anyone ever use these or have problems? I'd assume I would not need to change any Amp settings in my XC40 would I?
The prior chargepoint put out ~6 to 7W, so assuming amperage isn't super high anyways as it could get up to 11/12 which I believe is the higher end W for that A right?

I was going to investigate getting an adapter as well for road trips, when I am stuck and can't find a reliable charging unit.

Curious to hear what others have to say about this. Thanks for posting the question!

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge | Bursting Blue
124 Posts
It looks as though the Tesla Gen 3 wall connector is capable of supplying up to 48A (11.5kW).

We don't know several things.
We don't know how the circuit was originally ran (wire size etc.). The old chargepoint charger may have been limited by its own hardware to 32A (6.6kW).
We don't know if the person installing the new Tesla connector is knowledgeable enough to set the new charger to the correct rated amperage for the circuit. Or if he will just "set it to max" and hope for the best.

Maybe the circuit is capable of supplying 48A. Your adaptor is not. So if you leave your car at 48A. And the Tesla wall connector is capable of supplying 48A. Your adaptor is not. And neither the car or the Tesla wall connector has any way of knowing of your adaptors limit of 40A. So you could overheat your adaptor.

I would set your charge limit to 40A to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
509 Posts
In my opinion, TeslaTap Mini is the best as far as Tesla to J1772 adapters go. Like I said, that's my personal opinion based on experience and it's small size. However, they are more expensive than the Lectron items. I have the 60A Mini, which I have been very happy with. I want an adapter that is rated for MORE than the EVSE can provide or the car can take.....the EVSE or car will have no idea if you are using an adapter that is under rated.

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,117 Posts
I've successfully used both of the Lectron adapters mentioned above (the 40A cable, and the 48A small adapter) with the Tesla HPWC (gen 2) that was already installed in my garage by the previous homeowners.

Despite the bigger size, and lower 40 amp rating - I prefer the cable version simply because it has a rubber end cap over both nozzles. That lets me leave it installed without having spiders build nests inside it. I carry the smaller 48A version inside my car's "frunk" for travel.

When using the 40 amp version, you should set your car's charging limit to 40 amps to be safe. Although I've used it at 48 amps without problem.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
96 Posts
I have a regular TeslaTap (not the Mini). I just got it a few weeks ago and haven't had a chance to test it on my Recharge yet but it worked fine with my partner's Wrangler 4XE at a destination charger at a local hotel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have both the Tesla Tap Mini (60 amp) and the Lectron adapter.

The Tesla Tap Mini has worked fine with my Tesla Wall Charger (Gen 3) and Volvo XC-40 Recharge All-Electric for over a year and a half. I've kept it in a mount on the outside of my house in the weather the entire time, and have had no issues 99% of the time. It's a little tighter fit than competing chargers. The guy who makes them suggested a little mineral oil in the connector can help (which it does), but it's not absolutely needed. One can still get them on and off just fine.

I recently just got the Lectron one, which has a more ergonomic handle, just to have a backup option. That's because I was starting to have an occasional charging error with the Tesla Tap Mini and was starting to wonder if a less-tight fit on the Tesla handle side would be nice for a change. However, the Lectron one doesn't work correctly at all. I suspect may have gotten a defective unit, but want to see if others are having the same Lectron experience I'm having.

Specifically, the Tesla Wall Charger doesn't turn blue when plugged into the Lectron unit (unlike with the Tesla Tap adapter). Then, when I plug the Lectron adapter into the Volvo XC-40 after waiting at least 30 seconds, charging completely fails, with the Volvo red light coming on and the "Error" message on screen. The car and charger go through two or three cycles (while still plugged in) to initiate charging, which usually starts on the second or third attempt. This seems really abnormal.

I'd like to hear from other Lectron users if they've had the same issues. Isn't the Tesla Wall Charger light supposed to turn blue with all the various adapters after the typical 30 second period? Has anyone else had these issues with the Lectron one?

I asked for a return authorization from Lectron, but they're instead pushing me through their many-days-long "support" process instead, with a third-party email intermediary that they use to deal with some language issues I've read about elsewhere. I think they're in China.

R,
Bill

·
Registered
Red 2022 Late XC40, Yellow 2017 BRZ
1,030 Posts
I have the Tesla Tap (NOT mini) and have used it a couple of times with no problems. It was a little more expensive than the Lectron, but the Tesla Tap is UL Listed. Worth the extra $20 or so for more peace of mind, IMO.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Specifically, the Tesla Wall Charger doesn't turn blue when plugged into the Lectron unit (unlike with the Tesla Tap adapter). Then, when I plug the Lectron adapter into the Volvo XC-40 after waiting at least 30 seconds, charging completely fails, with the Volvo red light coming on and the "Error" message on screen. The car and charger go through two or three cycles (while still plugged in) to initiate charging, which usually starts on the second or third attempt. This seems really abnormal.

I'd like to hear from other Lectron users if they've had the same issues. Isn't the Tesla Wall Charger light supposed to turn blue with all the various adapters after the typical 30 second period? Has anyone else had these issues with the Lectron one?
Mine Lectron goes through a similar cycle but then does work. Plug in, sometimes I wait 30 seconds as you're supposed to, but I've found it doesn't matter. But volvo goes red/fail initially, but then cycles after a bit to yellow then eventually green. So that connection works within about 30 seconds I'd say. Not too bad, just more of a plug in, give it a few seconds to breath a bit, then it'll start charging.

My chargers I think output about 30 to 36A of the 48A available. Seems to work ok. I think the "initial" time to full (90%) charge displayed is 'wrong' but then it eventually gets correct. Dunno of that's the car figuring out the rate going up or if its the Tesla charger ramping up from initial turn on (vs like the Charepoint devices I was used to). But seems to work OK... car charges which is the goal!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine Lectron goes through a similar cycle but then does work. Plug in, sometimes I wait 30 seconds as you're supposed to, but I've found it doesn't matter. But volvo goes red/fail initially, but then cycles after a bit to yellow then eventually green.
Okay, so you're seeing the same initial red failed charging with the Lectron adapter. Sure, it then works after an automatic retry cycle or two, but it's not a smooth process and it's a little worrisome compared to the Tesla Tap. One wonders why it's failing initially, etc.

Also, you didn't mention if your Tesla Wall Charger light ever turns blue when using the Lectron. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to do that when it's successfully negotiated with an adapter or vehicle. That's what the whole "wait 30 seconds" step is for. Per my post, mine is definitely not doing that with the Lectron, which suggests they haven't complied with the Tesla and/or J1772 standards properly.

If others can weigh in with the same issues you and I are having, I'd say I have real concerns about continuing to use it. I plan to return it and get a second Tesla Tap in any case. It's just a more stable, smoother experience without all the glitches, either because I got a bad unit or because Lectron just hasn't complied with the charging communication standards.

Anyone else seeing the red charging errors with Lectron and the lack of a Tesla charger blue ready light when using it?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll have to re-look at the Tesla wall charger, on my next session, but I 'think' it only changed colors or flashed or such when it was plugged into my car. That's why I didn't understand what the 'wait 30 seconds' instruction was on the Lectron, because it conceivably should not be negotiating with the wall charger 'before' its plugged into the car I'd imagine. But obviously no clue how that communication works. I just wouldn't have thought the Lectron would be like "ok you're going to give me X rate right? But don't do so before I tell you ok." :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
My experience with the Lectron 48A adapter is similar to others here. Plug in to Tesla, wait 30 seconds, plug in to Volvo and get red Error message. Leave it sit for a little bit and it eventually works fine.

·
Registered
824 Posts
The Tesla Tap Mini has worked fine for me, though the fit onto my home Tesla HPWC was impossibly tight even with some silicone lube. I took a rattail file to the inside of the Tesla end of the Mini, and now it's possible to mate and unmate without banging it on the garage floor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Tesla Tap Mini has worked fine for me, though the fit onto my home Tesla HPWC was impossibly tight even with some silicone lube. I took a rattail file to the inside of the Tesla end of the Mini, and now it's possible to mate and unmate without banging it on the garage floor.
The tight fit is there for a good connection, which is why no problems (so far) for you.

·
Registered
83 Posts

Have one but have not yet used it. So I'm here for the replies.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts