Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m about half way through the lease on my 2021 P8….where I start to ponder what I will do in the months leading up to the 36th month. Usually it was a no-brainer for me: lease return and lease new. But the supply chain/world issues have me thinking otherwise.

I’m generally happy with my P8, but I wonder about long-term issues, such as the day the battery needs replacing and it costs $5820575393.00. Or anything eventually needed that is unique to this vehicle.

Mostly looking for replies from people here that issues are similar to mine (which is not much).

·
Registered
101 Posts
2022 here, so I have ~24 months instead of 12. If my lease was up today I'd just buy it out.

I suspect that in ~2 years they are likely to have something in a refresh to make it compelling to flip to a new lease. Perhaps a significant increase in range/option to increase, and/or a significant interior refresh.

I think the battery is likely to be fine for at least ~10 years, esp if you take care (e.g. charge to 80-90 usually).

·
Registered
2022 C40 Recharge
309 Posts
IMHO, current BEV cars are transitional, even the BMW iX, MB EQE, EQS EQB, or even the Volvo EX90. I would lease rather than buy these cars right now. I am currently leasing my 2022 C40 for 3 years. Prior to the C40, I bought a 2019 Jaguar I-PACE, which I had to lemon.

Here's SavageGeese's opinion on owning versus leasing the C40 and the iX M60:

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Ultimate, Sage Green
271 Posts
FWIW, owning a model that’s been in production so long may make it easier to get parts as they need repairs. I recall a recent post about some poor soul needing to wait for a year for a new door panel for their BMW IX. Most of the issues facing our community stem from software glitches, slowly and sometimes painfully being addressed by Volvo. But I’ve seen and heard many more serious problems with almost every other make and model of EV out there, including Tesla with all their vaunted experience in the space. I’m hopeful that my XC40 is going to be pretty reliable, with nothing more than the odd software gremlin in 6 months and 7000km of driving to-date. I know some have had nothing but problems and others gave up in frustration, but I think that given the complexity of all cars, ICE, EV or a combination thereof are going to have issues. Remember people not buying cars with electric windows because they might be an expensive problem to fix? Those were the days!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, a bit of a Hail Mary situation. Leasing a new one would clearly result in a higher lease price due to demand (probably even a year from now). When I leased my 2021, it was 1 of 35 on the lot! And other local dealers had 30 as well. They couldn’t sell them. Hard to believe now. For the first time in a string of leases I may buy this thing if nothing catastrophic happens to it. I really love the car every time I get back home from driving rentals for business. The brand new Audi A4 S-line rental was pretty sweet recently, though. I forgot what a dream they are with handling and fit & finish/interior.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I’m about half way through the lease on my 2021 P8….where I start to ponder what I will do in the months leading up to the 36th month. Usually it was a no-brainer for me: lease return and lease new. But the supply chain/world issues have me thinking otherwise.

I’m generally happy with my P8, but I wonder about long-term issues, such as the day the battery needs replacing and it costs $5820575393.00. Or anything eventually needed that is unique to this vehicle.

Mostly looking for replies from people here that issues are similar to mine (which is not much).
I leased my 2021 XC40 Recharge in August 2021. The residual value is low, $24k. If it’s still running well, I may purchase it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
It’s on the original paperwork for the lease. I talked to my dealer yesterday (picking up the tags for my wife’s 2023 XC60 Recharge Plug-In) and he said in 2021, the residual values were low due to lower EV demand, but that they are much higher now.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My XC90 was a lease, and the dealer would buy out the lease; I got I think about $8,000 difference between what they would pay vs. my payoff. The only reason I just didn't buy the 90 out was it was just a little too big for me; the C40 is a better size for most of the driving I do. I bought the C40 as opposed to lease as I figure I'll try to hold it as long as possible.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge 1.8
32 Posts
Lots to speculate, I'm in the same situation. A recession will lower those prices on your next lease, but will we be able to afford it? So many unknowns from now until then.

But if possible, I'm personally leaning on another lease because I think we'll have better range and faster charging (350kw) in 2 years from now. This car is great but those 2 things are constantly improving.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
213 Posts
We leased the 2021 XC40 P8 in June 2021 for 24 months as its was the first version so I did not want to be locked in for too long. And then the COVID continued and now the order time is 7+ months as dealers are not permitted to have the EV in inventory. And my lease has at least $7000 in equity if I could find a new one ins tock we licked. If we order and wait for a new one to arrive, chances are the current equity will more than likely drop by then. So we're strongly thinking of buying it out of the lease either now or in the next 7 months when the lease will expire. We were fortunate to receive a $500 Loyalty discount, a COSTCO $2000 discount coupon and the $7500 Fed Tax Credit towards our lease costs. New 2023 car would be increased in price at least $3200 less $500 loyalty and no COSTCO (not on EV's now) and no Federal savings so I'd like to use my equity somehow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts