Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue MFD 6/21
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to find out if the issues I’m having are specific to the Grizzl-E unit or the Volvo.

The issue started happening a few days ago:
After a few minutes of connecting the car to the charger, the light of the wall unit changes to a blinking white light and the car changes to a yellow light. After unplugging and plugging the car it changes back to green for just a few minutes, then back to a blinking white.

I have tried the cable that comes with the car without any charging interruptions.

I have contacted Grizzl-E, waiting for them to respond.

I‘m wondering if the issue is specific to the Grizzl-E wall unit or any third party chargers.
It is worth mentioning that I have not had any issues charging at public chargers.

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
190 Posts
I've had my Grizzl-e EVSE since day one (early July) and have never had any issue. I've read that their customer service is good, so they should be able to help. Keep us updated. Good luck.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had my Grizzl-e EVSE since day one (early July) and have never had any issue. I've read that their customer service is good, so they should be able to help. Keep us updated. Good luck.
Do you have the dumb model or the smart model?
I forgot to mention I’m using the smart model.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have also noticed issues the past week or so. I have a schedule set up to take advantage of TOD pricing from ComEd which had finally started to work fairly reliably. Firmware upgrades and tweaks to their portal have been slow but steady (on 5.53 now). They finally put up a firmware page though I can only find it from a searsh engine not via navigating their website: https://grizzl-e.com/grizzl-e-smart-firmware-updates/

So twice in the last week I plugged it in after last use and, as expected, it went to a standby/initializing mode. However, when I checked at 10:05 to verify it started the portal shows a status of ‘preparing’. I didn’t pay much attention to the status lights on the EVSE or XC40 as I assumed it was a scheduling issue. Disconnecting/replugging the cable, toggling the breaker on the sevice panel to reset the EVSE, and finally clearing the schedule via the portal did not seem to work. Frustrated for the night I left it plugged in and was surprised to see 80% SOC in the morning!

The portal diagnostic log has not been working for several weeks so no help there. Charging reports are always a day or two behind so I haven’t been able to see what it will show yet. As those reports only use sample # and not actual timestamps for the x-axis I’m not sure what that will show.

One thought was as it’s down to around high 20’s F here that maybe the car or EVSE is warming the battery prior to starting to charge. I’ll give it more time next charge and see what I can learn. Do other EVSE’s do this?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I received the following response. I’m going to try their solution.
I hope it helps others with the same issue.

We are very sorry to hear that!

We have received several requests from customers experiencing this issue and are currently working to resolve it as soon as we can.

At the present time, conducting the WiFi Board Reset (page. 24 of our Manual https://grizzl-e.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Grizzl-E_Smart_v11.1.pdf ) will resolve the issue. Following the reset, please leave the unit unconnected to the network (indicator light will flash alternating Blue/Purple) as you will be able to charge your vehicle even without the connection.

We are due to complete a direct integration with ChargeLab and once that is complete you will be able to connect the unit to their software and access it via phone app and/or web interface.

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Fyi I had a similar issue months ago where they changed something on their cloud platform and my grizzl-e smart charger would not charge. They fixed it within a day though and in the interim I used the Volvo charge cable.

It's a word of caution for anyone with a smart charger (not just grizzl-e's). Though Little concerning that they had similar issues again just months after the last issue.

Echoing another users comments, there support was always quick and super helpful whenever I had a question or needed help.

*Full disclosure, I replaced my grizzl-E smart charger with a chargpoint home flex a month or so ago, so my opinion and experiences are from using the product as it was prior to that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the 'dumb' Grizzl-E and it's been bulletproof so far. I was thinking about upgrading to the smart version, so I'm curious to see if you can get this resolved.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the 'dumb' Grizzl-E and it's been bulletproof so far. I was thinking about upgrading to the smart version, so I'm curious to see if you can get this resolved.
The instructions fixed the issue. Haven’t had any charging interruptions. The downside is that I can’t see the charging info via wifi on the acharger.ca site but I can wait for the ChargeLab integration.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts