Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had issues, particularly when unlocking the car that when I pull the handle it does not open. I have to pull rather lightly. On the other 3 doors I can pull farther strong amd door opens. Dealer said other Recharges are doing this as well, WTF? I have a few times now put my hand in the handle, hear the door unlock and pull and can’t get in. I try a second time and same thing. If I wait a few seconds and pull like grandma it opens. I find this to be a safety issue, if I or my wife were in and accident and incapacitated and someone tried to open the door they would have issues. Dealer blows this off. Anyone else try unlocking and pulling firmly and having issues with door opening?

·
Registered
502 Posts
The only similar issue I've had, is having to learn NOT to put my thumb on the outside of the handle when pulling the door open. The inside of the handle is "unlock", and the outside button (where the thumb naturally goes) is "lock". When you do both, it sometimes unlocks then re-locks in quick succession. Basically I've had to learn "no thumbs" when pulling the door open.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, I don’t think I am doing that, but will pay attention more. I know I open passengers side the same way and never had an issue.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
261 Posts
Maybe/also (?) -- I'm used to my 4Runner's short delay when opening the door, so I always just grasped the handle, paused until I heard/felt it unlock, and then lift the handle. It won't matter if there is actually a problem, but it did take me a few tries with the 4R to not expect the door to open immediately.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I liked my Acura’s as the lock you touched the ribs along the top of the handle. Seems Volvo put the locking right where your thumb would naturally go.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
The only similar issue I've had, is having to learn NOT to put my thumb on the outside of the handle when pulling the door open. The inside of the handle is "unlock", and the outside button (where the thumb naturally goes) is "lock". When you do both, it sometimes unlocks then re-locks in quick succession. Basically I've had to learn "no thumbs" when pulling the door open.
Had the same issue. Saw someone mention here about touching the lock button whilst pulling. Have learnt to keep my big hands away from the button.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts