Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been able to do any of the recent OTA updates. There are no messages in the message center to notify me of an update. I got an email from Volvo asking me to update. I have tried to troubleshoot with Volvo on-call as well as the dealership. No luck.

As you can see from the attached picture, the vehicle modem is working, and Google maps are updating - just not the OTA updates. My current software date is March 2021. I have tried modem restart (defrost button) and rebooting (home button) a few times. I don't know what else to do to get the car to update!

Rectangle Font Handwriting Tints and shades Wood

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have not been able to do any of the recent OTA updates. There are no messages in the message center to notify me of an update. I got an email from Volvo asking me to update. I have tried to troubleshoot with Volvo on-call as well as the dealership. No luck.

As you can see from the attached picture, the vehicle modem is working, and Google maps are updating - just not the OTA updates. My current software date is March 2021. I have tried modem restart (defrost button) and rebooting (home button) a few times. I don't know what else to do to get the car to update!
The OTA car updates have to first be downloaded to you car before they can be installed. Currently there seems to be no user control over this - Volvo pushes these out to your car when it's your turn, based on VIN. The catch is - unlike Google apps or Play Store - these "system OTA" downloads only happen when you're "driving". And presumably driving in an area with good LTE reception. They do not download while parked, god knows why.

After I got the email for the "August" OTA update, I had to drive around for about 45 minutes (longer than my normal drive) before I saw the "Downloaded" notification on the infotainment screen. After you get that - park the car, swipe down from the top of the infotainment screen to reveal previous notifications. You'll need to confirm to install, then exit the car & lock the doors before it will begin installing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The OTA car updates have to first be downloaded to you car before they can be installed. Currently there seems to be no user control over this - Volvo pushes these out to your car when it's your turn, based on VIN. The catch is - unlike Google apps or Play Store - these "system OTA" downloads only happen when you're "driving". And presumably driving in an area with good LTE reception. They do not download while parked, god knows why.

After I got the email for the "August" OTA update, I had to drive around for about 45 minutes (longer than my normal drive) before I saw the "Downloaded" notification on the infotainment screen. After you get that - park the car, swipe down from the top of the infotainment screen to reveal previous notifications. You'll need to confirm to install, then exit the car & lock the doors before it will begin installing.
Thank you. I am aware of the information you shared, and yes, I have driven around for hours, hoping that the file(s) would download - still not files.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
You have to be in the invited to experience ota group. There is no way I know to get j to that group by choice.

I have had one ota but I do not expect to get another for a while. I think the folks in the first group did not get invited into the second group.

If you get invited you should get an email letting you know.

Reactions: PinkFreud

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you. I am aware of the information you shared, and yes, I have driven around for hours, hoping that the file(s) would download - still not files.
Did you get the email saying the software update will be available for your car within 10 days? If not, you’re not in the OTA group and no amount of driving will download the update. Hopefully they expand the group for version 1.7 this month.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you get the email saying the software update will be available for your car within 10 days? If not, you’re not in the OTA group and no amount of driving will download the update. Hopefully they expand the group for version 1.7 this month.
Yes. I received the initial email notifying me about the software upgrade on September 17 and on September 30 I got a reminder.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Yes. I received the initial email notifying me about the software upgrade on September 17 and on September 30 I got a reminder.
Makes me wonder if it was only available for a limited time (which makes sense) or whether you car has a fault that is stopping it from initiating the ota.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ultimately if OTA is how things are going to be done, Volvo needs to figure out a way for it to happen equitably. Not skipping over customers for one or multiple update rounds.

Or, stagger the push notifications over a reasonably small window of time if they’re going to be pikers about their bandwidth allocation, but always allow a customer to hit a button to check for an update and give it to them right then if they want it.

I’m 6 for 6 for Volvo of all the car purchases of my life, so I love something about the company. But they’re floundering a lot more than I like to see lately.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Ultimately if OTA is how things are going to be done, Volvo needs to figure out a way for it to happen equitably. Not skipping over customers for one or multiple update rounds.

Or, stagger the push notifications over a reasonably small window of time if they’re going to be pikers about their bandwidth allocation, but always allow a customer to hit a button to check for an update and give it to them right then if they want it.

I’m 6 for 6 for Volvo of all the car purchases of my life, so I love something about the company. But they’re floundering a lot more than I like to see lately.
Agree it needs to be equitable. I have been assuming that at present they are just testing it out and once it is working and not bricking cars they will go with model more like Tesla. But assumptions ….

Considering the problems some are having with 1.7 I am glad it is not a broad ota.

Imagine the waits to get your car updated/fixed properly if ota failed on a percentage of cars ….

We should at get a few tshiet from Volvo saying that’s for the beta testing :)

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
83 Posts
Recent comment directly from Volvo Customer Service. "Volvo released OTA to approximately 100 customers in the first round (2-3 weeks ago) as a quality assurance step to be sure that everything worked as tested and planned. The customer's were randomly selected and received e-mail information that they would be receiving OTA updates and the link below for installation instructions. The XC40 Recharge is Volvo's first vehicle which is receiving OTA updates we have taken extra measure to be sure that our customers will receive the update without error. The last thing we would want is to push the software out and customers be left on the side of the road or in need of service. OTA updates will be available to all XC40 Recharge owners in the US in the next few weeks (we hope by the end of this month). Moving forward OTA updates will be an effortless process and you will be notified on your center screen an update is available and follow the process and you will be notified on your center screen an update is available and follow the steps in the link below to update the software in your car." Then the link is OTA (Over The Air) Software Updates

1 - 10 of 10 Posts