Volvo XC40 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
US XC40s are still coming from Belgium.
Yep...I think the “Trump China Tariff” pretty much forced Volvo to source most if not all their US imports from Sweden or Belgium. For a while there I believe the XC60 and maybe some S90s came from China into the USA, but the tariffs made it non-competitive. I think some Volvos in Canada and the rest of the Americas (except USA) come from the China plants. Not sure about the XC40 EV though. I think the Belgium plant is having supply issues due to the chip shortage...maybe not as much of an issue in China, but the dealer here in Australia said he’s having to contact customers who placed orders and advise them that their car won’t come with a power tailgate!! Not sure if that was just XC40s or whether it was XC60s as well (which come from China for the Australian market).

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
54 Posts
Volvos in Canada are mostly from Europe. XC40 P8 only from Europe. The one I am suppose to pickup mid October is from Belgium. However Some XC60 I have seen are from China. Canadians hate China. It will be super bad for Volvo. Made in China is the main reason I did not even test Polestar 2, no matter how good this car is.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Volvos in Canada are mostly from Europe. XC40 P8 only from Europe. The one I am suppose to pickup mid October is from Belgium. However Some XC60 I have seen are from China. Canadians hate China. It will be super bad for Volvo. Made in China is the main reason I did not even test Polestar 2, no matter how good this car is.
Fair enough. You can tell where the car is made by the VIN - the Chinese ones are LYV or LVY for first 3 digits of VIN. I agree political situation is not good, but the people of China are good people. We all know what a country’s leader can do to a country’s reputation! :)

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
54 Posts
I have lot Chinese friends. Vancouver is the second largest Chinese community outside China after San Francisco. It is not the people. We all know what it is ;) you said it.
Lots of reasons behind it that build up over time but now a days feelings are not good. I used to visit Chine regularly 2005-2010 and seen a lot. BIG NO thanks.

By the way Volvos build in China seems to be good quality, including Polestar. Software aside. They have extra quality checks (that what Volvo says when they start making cars there). Just I can't buy them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I thought so too, but when the dealer gave me the VIN it confirmed that the AUS ones are made in China...guess that’s why they’re cheaper than the UK and US? You can look at your VIN and if it starts with LYV it is assembled in China...if it starts with YV4 it was assembled in Belgium. FWIW most Volvos coming into AUS are now from China. I think the main exceptions are the S60 (USA) and possibly V60...I believe the XC40 Recharge EV is built in the same plant as the Polestar 2 and petrol XC40 - the Geely/Volvo CMA Super Factory. Not 100% sure on that. I don’t know if they build the plug-in hybrid XC40 there, so it may be coming from Belgium. TBH the quality out of the China plant is probably better than the Ghent plant as Ghent has a lot of complexity and is a very old plant, whereas the China plant only builds the CMA (compact modular architecture) and is fairly new plant.
just looked my VIN is LYV

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Fair enough. You can tell where the car is made by the VIN - the Chinese ones are LYV or LVY for first 3 digits of VIN. I agree political situation is not good, but the people of China are good people. We all know what a country’s leader can do to a country’s reputation! :)
But at least we get an opportunity to swap pour leader out ever 4 years and they are not elected for life. ;)

Reactions: Greg S

·
Registered
78 Posts
I looked at a tow bar for here and was told it is $2k aud, 750kg towing load
I would hold off on the towbar, when i was picking up my car the dealer mentioned that they were fitting one and lots of problems with the electronics and systems in the car. They suggested waiting abit

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would hold off on the towbar, when i was picking up my car the dealer mentioned that they were fitting one and lots of problems with the electronics and systems in the car. They suggested waiting abit
How is your car going Greg?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
How is your car going Greg?
Pretty good so far. I just replied to your range post. We’re about the same as you with consumption/range. Had a few niggles with software and of course the Volvo Cars app is a bit hit and miss (more miss than hit actually). Noticed a few quality issues/defects - marks on the exterior rubber trim at the top of the door windows on the left side, a very tiny paint defect in the middle of the bonnet, and some tiny scratches on the RH headlamp lens only visible when you open the bonnet. Other than that, the quality/paint looks fantastic (very impressive!) We haven’t taken the car to the dealer at all as it’s in Melbourne COVID no-go zone and 100 km away. Will have to schedule to take it in to get them to look at the rubber door seals as I think they’ll need to be replaced as the rubber is gouged a bit (not something that will buff out!) I’m just concerned that in the process of replacing the seals, they may have to pull the door trim panels off, remove glass, etc, and something worse will happen like rattles or scratches caused by the R&R of parts to get at the seals. Maybe I’m just being paranoid but last time I owned a new car that needed warranty work it was a nightmare every time I took it in (that was a 1985 VW GTI back in the USA!! Times may have changed!)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Has anybody gotten their 250 kW free charging from electrify america? The dealership has no clue and customer support just says I should get it in a few weeks but I don't really believe them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I picked up my new 2022 XC40 Recharge on 10/2/21 and didn't receive anything on the free 250 kw charging. I followed up today and my dealer says that he got a notification that I should be receiving an email soon (possibly from Volvo USA directly).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got a '22 xc40 twin, sadly the infotainment issues are a nightmare - 6 crashes in a 2hr drive yesterday, 2 on a drive today.
Also the wing mirror indicator inside the driver door continually flashes on the 'r' button.
Great car but dodgy electrics (ironic..) and the Google platform is very poor, I much prefer android auto (WhatsApp works etc).

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Makes me wonder why manufacturers don’t focus on the car necessities and make sure they suppprt wireless Android Auto and CarPlay for all the other infotainment apps. Older folks Amy not dig it as much, but younger people will likely be fine with it.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I've got a '22 xc40 twin, sadly the infotainment issues are a nightmare - 6 crashes in a 2hr drive yesterday, 2 on a drive today.
Also the wing mirror indicator inside the driver door continually flashes on the 'r' button.
Great car but dodgy electrics (ironic..) and the Google platform is very poor, I much prefer android auto (WhatsApp works etc).
Is your car booked to go in to be fixed. Sounds like you have 2 of the fixable issues (one other person had a blind spot sensor issue on here that got fixed by service. )

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep the local dealer was very good, he's skipping a s/w update as he knows it wont fix it, so I'm going in on 5th Nov to swap the entire head unit out. Shame to need to do this with a car with <200 miles..!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
The IHU has had its issues. I have been curious if they are just bad units of has there been and update part in newer part number they maybe rolling out. Since you have a 22 I suspect they just have a QA problem for now, but hopefully will improve the part in the future. Curious if the new XC60s will start seeing some of these IHU and software quirks.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Could also be that there are more than 1 source for the IHU at any given time (especially common in Covid land) and that some sub parts are worse than others.

Reactions: Gaffaa

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
True, Covid I am sure has electronics makers relaxing their pass/fail QA criteria to get every chip possible out the door.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I have had a feeling that for the last 10 years a lot of the quality control for electronics is the user …

Rarely do product ship with 100% working units. I wonder if the failure rate is low enough whether it seems/is cheaper to have bare minimum of quality control and instead rely on users returning devices.

This makes more sense though on a sub 1 pound in weight item vs 4800 pound car :)

Also to be fair going back say 30 years there was not the public forum / review systems in place so who knows what percentage things failed at back then.

61 - 80 of 123 Posts