Volvo XC40 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
54 Posts
You should have your name associated with the VIN since the beginning. I had my VIN since I order the car. Anyhow... My car is being loaded apparently this week and should be on the way. Volvo did not release 2022 cars in Canada still. Don't know why but that is the reason why the car was delayed. It is was staying too long and I started digging. Perhaps the Transport Canada did not do the paperwork or Volvo is hoping to sell more 2021. Do not know. For now the ETA is mid October.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
143 Posts
You should have your name associated with the VIN since the beginning. I had my VIN since I order the car. Anyhow... My car is being loaded apparently this week and should be on the way. Volvo did not release 2022 cars in Canada still. Don't know why but that is the reason why the car was delayed. It is was staying too long and I started digging. Perhaps the Transport Canada did not do the paperwork or Volvo is hoping to sell more 2021. Do not know. For now the ETA is mid October.
When I bought mine at end of June, I was hedging on waiting for the 2022's. My dealer mentioned that Volvo Canada would not be releasing the 22's until all 21's were sold and didn't expect the 22's until Sept or Oct.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Make sense. The only weird thing so far was that the ETA of the car was showing first to be here Sep 8th, then Sep 15, then 22 and now is October 15. I mean OK they want to do that but do not confuse people with the ETA. Volvo of Vancouver are very responsive and can not complain. Will see what is going to happen.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Good news - looks like we’ll be picking up our car on Thursday. Dealer received it yesterday and will be doing a charge and prep, then should be good to go! Pretty excited!
Make sure your hood latches on the passenger side. My MY22 had to be adjusted and all of the three others on the lot had the same issue. The latch and bumpers weren't positioned correctly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Make sure your hood latches on the passenger side. My MY22 had to be adjusted and all of the three others on the lot had the same issue. The latch and bumpers weren't positioned correctly.
You'd think that would be solved by now. My '21 that I took delivery of in April had the same issue.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Is that something that could become misaligned during shipping?
Absolutely not. It is the construction. Volvo cars have two latches. Haven`t seen Volvo with only one. Do some fine tuning with the dealer. Fun fact is that 15 years ago my first Volvo ever model 850 had exactly the same problem. That is actually funny.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Pretty sure all the ones we’re getting in Aus will be model year 2022. Since they are 2021 “compliance plate” (unique Australian thing) the rego papers will say 2021, but it will be a MY2022 car. You can check the 10th digit of your VIN - see chart below. Should be N for MY22. Note our Aus cars are produced in China...so the first digits of the VIN are LYV.
Font Rectangle Parallel Number Pattern

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Haha I used to be a body structure & closures (boot, bonnet, doors) engineer for GM/Holden so I’ll be looking at that for sure! The latch design used by Volvo on the XC40 is similar to the BMW style and is easily adjusted for height (remove plastic cover on latch striker “loop” on hood/bonnet and screw the loop in or out to adjust height, then reinstall cover. I haven’t had a close look yet so that’s based on me seeing pics and YouTube videos! :) Also our AUS cars are built at the plant in China, so maybe they’ll do a few extra quality checks before shipping!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi all. I’ve been lurking for a while and read almost every post. We have a 2022 XC40 EV on order here in Australia (apparently it’s recently arrived at the port in Sydney, but due to COVID lockdowns not sure when we will be able to view/test drive and confirm purchase decision).

I’m curious after reading all the posts with problems as to whether most of these issues are occurring on earlier built cars or if the 2022 model year cars will have similar issues. I really love the looks of it and being a life-long Volvo driver I want to love the car. My partner wants a Tesla Model 3 SR+ but I think we’ve agreed to get the Volvo assuming it drives as well as the YouTube reviewers (and you good folks!) say. We are “early adopters” and in fact converted a 1993 Volvo 240 wagon to an EV back in 2011...so we know what the “EV grin” is...I’m sure the XC40 will be a factor of 10 bigger grin than driving our 240 EV. Of course I had hoped for Bursting Blue to match our existing Volvo, but not to be for 2022 so we have settled on Fusion Red. Thanks in advance and happy motoring.
View attachment 1208
Think mine is fairly recent, is 08/21 a recent batch? definitely didnt come here on the slow boat from china!!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Think mine is fairly recent, is 08/21 a recent batch? definitely didnt come here on the slow boat from china!!!!
Check your VIN...it most likely came on a boat from China...not sure whether it was a fast or a slow boat!! ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Pretty sure all the ones we’re getting in Aus will be model year 2022. Since they are 2021 “compliance plate” (unique Australian thing) the rego papers will say 2021, but it will be a MY2022 car. You can check the 10th digit of your VIN - see chart below. Should be N for MY22. Note our Aus cars are produced in China...so the first digits of the VIN are LYV.
View attachment 1341
I thought all XC40 recharges are made in Belgium not china

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I thought all XC40 recharges are made in Belgium not china
I thought so too, but when the dealer gave me the VIN it confirmed that the AUS ones are made in China...guess that’s why they’re cheaper than the UK and US? You can look at your VIN and if it starts with LYV it is assembled in China...if it starts with YV4 it was assembled in Belgium. FWIW most Volvos coming into AUS are now from China. I think the main exceptions are the S60 (USA) and possibly V60...I believe the XC40 Recharge EV is built in the same plant as the Polestar 2 and petrol XC40 - the Geely/Volvo CMA Super Factory. Not 100% sure on that. I don’t know if they build the plug-in hybrid XC40 there, so it may be coming from Belgium. TBH the quality out of the China plant is probably better than the Ghent plant as Ghent has a lot of complexity and is a very old plant, whereas the China plant only builds the CMA (compact modular architecture) and is fairly new plant.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Further - look at the 11th digit of your VIN...if it’s L, that’s the Liuqiao plant, and if it’s 2, that is Ghent, Belgium. Here’s a Youtube of the Liuqiao plant.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Well, WE'RE now driving a 2022 - Fusion Red - picked it up today and loving it so far. We did have a glitch when we first picked it up where the maps wouldn't display in the driver's instrument cluster. Reset the IHU and all good. Had zero hand-over at the dealer due to COVID non-contact restrictions in Melbourne, but that's fine. The sales manager was apologetic and said we can ring any time with questions, but he said he suspected we could teach them a thing or two (I reckon so after all the forum posts we've read and YouTube videos watched LOL!) So now the fun begins!
Car Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Wheel

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, WE'RE now driving a 2022 - Fusion Red - picked it up today and loving it so far. We did have a glitch when we first picked it up where the maps wouldn't display in the driver's instrument cluster. Reset the IHU and all good. Had zero hand-over at the dealer due to COVID non-contact restrictions in Melbourne, but that's fine. The sales manager was apologetic and said we can ring any time with questions, but he said he suspected we could teach them a thing or two (I reckon so after all the forum posts we've read and YouTube videos watched LOL!) So now the fun begins! View attachment 1350
Well, WE'RE now driving a 2022 - Fusion Red - picked it up today and loving it so far. We did have a glitch when we first picked it up where the maps wouldn't display in the driver's instrument cluster. Reset the IHU and all good. Had zero hand-over at the dealer due to COVID non-contact restrictions in Melbourne, but that's fine. The sales manager was apologetic and said we can ring any time with questions, but he said he suspected we could teach them a thing or two (I reckon so after all the forum posts we've read and YouTube videos watched LOL!) So now the fun begins! View attachment 1350
We picked up our XC 40 Recharge Full Electric in Thunder Grey from Volvo in Sydney a day ago. It drives like a dream but we have had serious issues with the infotainment crashing, displays goes blank with neon colours and it’s been doing that every 5 mins.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
143 Posts
We picked up our XC 40 Recharge Full Electric in Thunder Grey from Volvo in Sydney a day ago. It drives like a dream but we have had serious issues with the infotainment crashing, displays goes blank with neon colours and it’s been doing that every 5 mins.
Try resetting the infotainment unit, hold button at bottom of screen until you see Volvo approx 30 seconds. Also look at the very first article regarding pairing guide and scroll down to 2nd page for troubleshooting, that has most of your answers.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Well that’s a real bummer! Another guy who picked his up in Sydney a few weeks ago had similar issues with the multi-colour blank screens and the dealer replaced the IHU (main centre screen unit). On our car resetting the IHU by holding down the home button at the bottom until the screen went black fixed things. Keep holding it down longer until the screen cleaning message goes away. We’ve also had hit and miss luck with the Volvo Cars app...sometimes it works and sometimes when you sign in on your phone it just comes up with a message that says “Pair your car with the Volvo Cars app”. Then maybe after driving the car hours or a day later it work again? Also this AM when I drove into town I had no mobile signal. I tried re-setting the LTE/Modem by holding down the front window defog button for a LOOOONNNG time and it did nothing (the mobile signal strength indicator with the x in it just stayed there - never went away or anything to indicate that a re-boot was happening). I also re-booted the IHU again but no change. Went into the grocery store and when I came back out and started driving again the car had a mobile connection again. As you said, the car is great and drives great and looks awesome, but these software and/or infotainment hardware issues seem to be way too common and these bugs should have been worked out by now.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
For those of us that have had this issue, it usually meant they replaced the IHU. For me that cleared it up until the August update and now I have unresponsive IHU at times.Seems the IHU hardware is still an issue then.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Design. Construction. Software. Hardware. Electronics. Battery. Packages.

Is the only difference between 2021 and 2022 models the packaging and perhaps where they are made?

41 - 60 of 123 Posts