Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I’ve been lurking for a while and read almost every post. We have a 2022 XC40 EV on order here in Australia (apparently it’s recently arrived at the port in Sydney, but due to COVID lockdowns not sure when we will be able to view/test drive and confirm purchase decision).

I’m curious after reading all the posts with problems as to whether most of these issues are occurring on earlier built cars or if the 2022 model year cars will have similar issues. I really love the looks of it and being a life-long Volvo driver I want to love the car. My partner wants a Tesla Model 3 SR+ but I think we’ve agreed to get the Volvo assuming it drives as well as the YouTube reviewers (and you good folks!) say. We are “early adopters” and in fact converted a 1993 Volvo 240 wagon to an EV back in 2011...so we know what the “EV grin” is...I’m sure the XC40 will be a factor of 10 bigger grin than driving our 240 EV. Of course I had hoped for Bursting Blue to match our existing Volvo, but not to be for 2022 so we have settled on Fusion Red. Thanks in advance and happy motoring.

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
209 Posts
Assuming the 2022 is mechanically is similar to the 2021, I’ve found the P8 to be fun to drive. 402 hp AWD gives a great launch which I find comparable to our daughter’s M3 dual motor, and it eases merge anxiety by responding with instantaneous go. The driver assistance features (other than Pilot Assist steering) are useful. My favorite feature is Pilot Assist cruise control. Despite the glitches and missing tech (Sirius XM, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, useful smartphone app) I’ve enjoyed my P8.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm in a 2022 in the UK, and haven't had any of the problems described in this forum. My car came with the 2 driver display screen options instead of 3. I'd like to think that the infotainment connnector issues have been solved.
The only problem I have with the car, I knew about before purchase - Android Automotive is immature, going on for incomplete, and any Android nerd that gets excited about the Play Store and all those apps, will be very disappointed at the moment. I'm unable to do several things in this car that I was able to in my first EV (Renault Zoe) in 2015!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for feedback so far. I’m wondering when the 2022 model year started production. From this screen shot of the owner’s manual, I’m assuming the breakpoint was Week 22 of
2021 (31st of May)...I think it’s usually in August but it can really be any time.

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
97 Posts
FWIW, the US Volvo site is still showing build options for the 2021 model, though they've changed the price on some (but not all) of the pages.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I took delivery of mine on 22nd July after ordering it at the end of May from what I believe was a build slot, I had a choice of 3 colours so it was a certain distance through the factory, I imagine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FWIW, the US Volvo site is still showing build options for the 2021 model, though they've changed the price on some (but not all) of the pages.
From what I can see some dealers in the US still have quite a few in stock, so I assume maybe those are still 2021s?

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
111 Posts
Initially I was going to hold out for a 2022 model but my dealer in Newmarket Ontario had told me that Volvo Canada was going to hold out til all the 21 stock was sold and didn't expect to release the 22"s until late August or Seprember.

Of course he was trying to sell me and even the car I did buy was brought in from another dealer in early June.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm in a 2022 in the UK, and haven't had any of the problems described in this forum. My car came with the 2 driver display screen options instead of 3. I'd like to think that the infotainment connnector issues have been solved.
The only problem I have with the car, I knew about before purchase - Android Automotive is immature, going on for incomplete, and any Android nerd that gets excited about the Play Store and all those apps, will be very disappointed at the moment. I'm unable to do several things in this car that I was able to in my first EV (Renault Zoe) in 2015!
What model do you have - is it the “Pro” or whatever they call the high-spec car in the UK? One thing I’m a bit unclear on here in AUS is whether we’re getting Pilot Assist. We’re basically getting a fully loaded car with no options - just choose paint colour. The specs say adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist and traffic jam assist, but doesn’t specifically say Pilot Assist. Is Pilot Assist something different, or is it just a combination of those features? Maybe they’re not using the Pilot Assist nomenclature for 2022MY or here for the Recharge Twin (I learned today that’s what badge it will have in AUS).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine is the base spec - simply the 'Twin' - above that is a Twin Plus, and a Twin Pro, IIRC. I don't have Pilot Assist, adaptive cruise control (but do have normal cruise control), nor traffic jam assist. These are all systems that use cameras so it would make sense to have all, or none of them. I'm fine without those, but a rear camera would have been nice, but could have delayed delivery so I went without. I think the 'P8' think has been dropped in favour of 'Twin' for 2022.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine is the base spec - simply the 'Twin' - above that is a Twin Plus, and a Twin Pro, IIRC. I don't have Pilot Assist, adaptive cruise control (but do have normal cruise control), nor traffic jam assist. These are all systems that use cameras so it would make sense to have all, or none of them. I'm fine without those, but a rear camera would have been nice, but could have delayed delivery so I went without. I think the 'P8' think has been dropped in favour of 'Twin' for 2022.
Yeah, here they are just fully optioned and will be called “Recharge Twin”. So it sounds like since we’re getting adaptive cruise, lane keeping aid and traffic jam assist, that basically all works together to be Pilot Assist. I assume depending on how well the car sells here in AUS we may eventually get lower-spec models to come in at a cheaper price point. Interestingly though here a Jag iPace starts at about $138000 AUD and the Volvo is $76990 fully loaded...I was really surprised the Volvo didn’t land at $100K, but I guess they felt it would be hard to sell it next to a petrol XC40 at half the price?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Greetings from Vancouver. I am waiting on my 2022 Ultimate with tow package to arrive in first half of September. So far so gut...will see

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is there anywhere that shows what the differences between the 2021 and 2022 models are?

Have one on order (lease) due in November and wondered how I'd tell.

Ta

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just did my test drive on 8th sept in perth and was fun, It drove like a fast tank on rails, solid and fast and on suburban streets I aimed for the manhole covers and didnt feel a thing. Pick mine up on the 27th, if i hadnt pre-ordered I would have to wait to probably march next year. They have also sold out of their ICE cars as well till next year. Also because of chip shortages they will be quietly removing features in the cars. With the dip in the Australian Dollar I think we both got in at the right time and sure you will enjoy it, have you driven one yet?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just did my test drive on 8th sept in perth and was fun, It drove like a fast tank on rails, solid and fast and on suburban streets I aimed for the manhole covers and didnt feel a thing. Pick mine up on the 27th, if i hadnt pre-ordered I would have to wait to probably march next year. They have also sold out of their ICE cars as well till next year. Also because of chip shortages they will be quietly removing features in the cars. With the dip in the Australian Dollar I think we both got in at the right time and sure you will enjoy it, have you driven one yet?
Great you had a test drive! Hoping we can soon now that regional VIC lockdown has lifted. Question - did it have “pilot assist”?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was quite fortunate to be able to drive a P8 here in the UK this week once I'd ordered a lease. It was a first edition so obviously had all bells and whistles..haven't been able find any twin plus or pros locally yet to see.

The spec sheets look decent though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Great you had a test drive! Hoping we can soon now that regional VIC lockdown has lifted. Question - did it have “pilot assist”?
Dont laugh, I think so, was trying to take a lot in as I was driving, got the active cruise control and it started blinking at me as i had no hands on the wheel as I was on the freeway, I was more interested in what it was like in suburbia as anything looks good on a freeway. I know the dealer here was still trying to learn about the car, had it less then a week, even the receptionist was doing online tutorials on it, its certainly their hero car. They had a backlog of people to test drive it even though there were none available unless they had already ordered it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts