Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there are any online tutorials or manuals to educate us on the settings and functions of Android Automotive?

I have two specific questions:

1) Can more than one device use VOC per profile?
2) How do you switch from Profile 1 (Admin) to Profile 2 (User), and back again?

Anyone else have AA questions?

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
263 Posts
You can switch profiles by touching at the top and dragging down, then tap a profile. I believe having a profile tied to a key will automatically switch when that key enters the car.

The other questions I can't help with as mine has only one profile (at this time).

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
You can switch profiles by touching at the top and dragging down, then tap a profile. I believe having a profile tied to a key will automatically switch when that key enters the car.

The other questions I can't help with as mine has only one profile (at this time).
I can confirm if you have 2. Keys with a profile connected to each key when that driver unlocks and enters, the seats and mirrors are moved and the profile, isn’t he screen along with associated apps of that profile show in the screen. As much as I am less than impressed by Android Automotive, that functionality is a nice feature.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Does anyone know if there are any online tutorials or manuals to educate us on the settings and functions of Android Automotive?

I have two specific questions:

1) Can more than one device use VOC per profile?
2) How do you switch from Profile 1 (Admin) to Profile 2 (User), and back again?

Anyone else have AA questions?
As for a manual or tutorial, the problem is AAOS is designed to be completely modified by the manufacturer to meet the needs of the specific car. That means BMWs implementation of AAOS is wildly different from Volvos which means it's incumbent on the manufacturer to release design themes, documentation, and training material. From my short experience with Volvo there is close to no feedback from corporate to the consumer and back. Every now and then they release some information about [insert random topic].

All that to say I don't know of any Volvo published material covering AAOS except for the Owners Manuel which doesn't really cut it.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
As you all have multiple profiles a simple question for you. How do I add another profile. So far have not been able to.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
In the setting there is an option for profiles and on there there is an add profile. Before you do that it is best to have a valid Google account. You do not need to have GMail to have a valid Google account. My wife users her non-gmail account to set up a Google account as she is an Apple user. Then when you add the profile to the car it will want to authenticate with Google and then us can you use Play store to add apps. Be sure the profile is active and best to connect it to a key. Then whenever that key unlocks the car and enters all settings go to whatever preset that profile had active and any apps that profile had loaded show on the screen tied to that Prolfile/Google account. It is actually very good like when she drive it loads her favorites and stuff and her radio station, when I unlock and drive it has my profile with YouTube Music there.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
We only have 1 gm account and that is bound to profile 1. I had though there was a n profiles to a single gm. Am I wrong and it is actually a 1 to 1 required ratio?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I can confirm if you have 2. Keys with a profile connected to each key when that driver unlocks and enters, the seats and mirrors are moved and the profile, isn’t he screen along with associated apps of that profile show in the screen. As much as I am less than impressed by Android Automotive, that functionality is a nice feature.
How do you cause that to happen? I'm the only driver so far and I created a profile. The seats and mirrors were adjusted how I like them at the time, but there was no option to lock those positions to the key that I could see. Later I had to move my seat to make room for someone in the back seat. When I next got in the car, the seat did not return to the original setting at the time of making the profile. I had to move it back manually. So how do you tie seat/mirror position to the key & profile? If you manually change a seat position when using that key, does it change the profile data? Is there some place where you can tap on "save seat position"?

·
Registered
247 Posts
How do you cause that to happen? I'm the only driver so far and I created a profile. The seats and mirrors were adjusted how I like them at the time, but there was no option to lock those positions to the key that I could see. Later I had to move my seat to make room for someone in the back seat. When I next got in the car, the seat did not return to the original setting at the time of making the profile. I had to move it back manually. So how do you tie seat/mirror position to the key & profile? If you manually change a seat position when using that key, does it change the profile data? Is there some place where you can tap on "save seat position"?
I checked the manual and saw that there are buttons on the doors to store seat/mirror positions. I just now did that for my preferred positions and stored that with button 1. Both of my black keys are recognized as Key 2 and connect to my profile, not my wife's. There is no Key 1. I tested it by moving the seat and leaving. I can confirm that when I unlock the door, and the key is in my pocket, it returns to the setting I gave. However, the setting is #1 and my profile is with key 2, so the numbers on the button do not conform to the key/profile numbers. If I can get my wife to drive the car, I'll try setting up a separate profile for her key, but I'm not sure it will make much difference since she's tall and often drives our other cars without adjusting seats or mirrors from my settings.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the reply. So it is Volvo who's at fault for the lack of AA documentation and instruction.
Yup! This is all I've found published by Volvo, but it's for developers (which is a good thing!) but no documentation for end users.

Android Automotive OS (volvocars.com)

If anyone wants to see what can be done remotely and by an AAOS application have a look at the api:

Volvo Cars Innovation Portal

And what your Volvo is currently able to categorize based on the Cirrus dataset:

Volvo Cars Innovation Portal

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I know that when wife unlocks car her profile kicks in the the memory set she had last time (memory 2) gets set. When I unlock after she was using car my profile is active and seats move to memory #1. Why does annoy me is if we each have our key and she is going to drive if I open the passenger door thus unlock the car it sets up for me. So whichever key unlocks the car is made active redgardless of which door is unlocked. Her Acura was set based on who opened the drivers door.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.