Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We know now that CarPlay/Android Auto support is on hold till the Spring.

Found this video from 2 weeks ago. Basically a teleconference. I am hopeful this is what we have to look forward to within AAOS.

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge P8
22 Posts
"We are in the Early Access more on Android OS" This is explains why our XC40's Recharge IVI systems are so buggy.
Volvo went to production before Google's IVI operating system was ready for production.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
43 Posts
"We are in the Early Access more on Android OS"
This is explains why our XC40's Recharge IVI systems are so buggy.
Volvo went to production before Google's IVI operating system was ready for production.
Yes, that's quite clear. The apps feel half-baked and the OS is clearly still in development. The good news is that we know it will improve over time.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
43 Posts
The apps (other than VOC) are not written by Volvo. Google writes the Android Automotive operating system. Google also writes their own apps (Maps, YouTube Music, etc.). Spotify write the Spotify app. ChargePoint writes their own app. Sirius XM writes their own app.

Volvo writes a relatively small layer of software which glues Android Automotive to Volvo's specific hardware in their specific cars. They also write the Andoid (phone version) and iOS apps for VOC.

You can learn more about Android Automotive here Android for Cars | Android Developers

·
Registered
97 Posts
But if Volvo is switching all their cars to AAOS for 2022, they've got to get their ass in gear with new and updated apps, as most buyers will not put up with sub-par infotainment systems.
I think the pace of software improvements will pick up in the near future. Volvo has no choice. The marketplace is not going back to ICEs. Volvo has to produce a desirable EV or it will eventually go out of business. I’m betting they will be successful.

·
Registered
2021 P8
52 Posts
We know now that CarPlay/Android Auto support is on hold till the Spring.

Found this video from 2 weeks ago. Basically a teleconference. I am hopeful this is what we have to look forward to within AAOS.

Do we formally know that CarPlay/AA is on hold, or is that just based on speculation people have from a Twitter chat with someone who owns a Polestar? That was the last rumor I had seen floating around, but I might have missed a formal update on this.

·
Registered
26 Posts
But if Volvo is switching all their cars to AAOS for 2022, they've got to get their ass in gear with new and updated apps, as most buyers will not put up with sub-par infotainment systems.
Nice article - Android Automotive: Everything You Need To Know

From the article, "Google has Ford, Chrysler, Dodge, Chevy, Cadillac, Buick, GMC, Nissan, Mitsubishi, and Volvo all on-board already for Android Automotive."

Also, Honda as well - Honda will use Google’s embedded Android Automotive in its cars starting in 2022

So, crossed fingers for more apps and getting better at OTA rollouts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice article - Android Automotive: Everything You Need To Know

From the article, "Google has Ford, Chrysler, Dodge, Chevy, Cadillac, Buick, GMC, Nissan, Mitsubishi, and Volvo all on-board already for Android Automotive."

Also, Honda as well - Honda will use Google’s embedded Android Automotive in its cars starting in 2022

So, crossed fingers for more apps and getting better at OTA rollouts.
From the article: "Imagine being able to ask the Google Assistant to turn down the AC in your Hummer EV. That will be possible thanks to Android Automotive, which is huge."

Just an FYI, this is not huge.

And how long will it be before Google starts pushing advertisements to your car?

·
Registered
135 Posts
That was interesting viewing. Some thoughts:

- It is abundantly clear that we are all early adopters - just like those who bought the first Android phone - the T-Mobile G1 - back in 2008. It may be years before Volvo's implementation of AAOS really comes into it's own. I worry they will orphan the 2021/2022 XC40 before it gets to that point.

- Polestar and Volvo appear to be working at arm's length, rather that working together. Sadly the platform and the apps are going to diverge, with more and more apps that appear on only one or the other platform. Polestar's AAOS implementation will likely move faster and become more full featured because they only have one platform to worry about. Volvo made it clear that their efforts are being focused on porting AAOS to other cars in the lineup, including their ICE line.

- Had to laugh when the Volvo guy touted how 125 developers signed up in the first 4 days. A year and a half later they still only allow Media Apps to be published. Until they allow Charging and Parking apps, we won't see anything like ABRP, and tools like Waze are blocked until they allow Navigation apps.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
From the article: "Imagine being able to ask the Google Assistant to turn down the AC in your Hummer EV. That will be possible thanks to Android Automotive, which is huge."

Just an FYI, this is not huge.

And how long will it be before Google starts pushing advertisements to your car?
Agreed it is not only not huge but for some reason i find it hard to remember the format they chose to do it. Set fan number (if I remember right sigh will have to check it when I drive). I mainly do it awkwardly by hand wishing I had a knob or a leaver to do it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts