Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just keep it simple, when can I get android auto. When I was looking and then buying the xc40 recharge, one of my first questions was does it have android auto and I was assured it did..
He said just plug in the white circle usb.
it's now been 3 months and still nothing.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
245 Posts
Your dealer lied to you, or was clueless; it seems like most are.

Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are "scheduled" to be available in early 2022.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Perhaps whoever told you this was confused between the Android Auto APP (not yet available for XC40 P8) and the Android Automotive OPERATING SYSTEM (which of course is the car's built-in OS). Thumbs-down to Google for nearly-identical, confusing names for these completely different things :-(

I haven't seen anything official from Volvo on the Android Auto app, perhaps someone else has. Volvo HAS committed to "Later in 2021" for the very similar Apple CarPlay app: Latest information for the XC40 Recharge Pure Electric | XC40 Recharge Pure Electric | Support and legal articles | Volvo Support (volvocars.com)

·
Registered
968 Posts
Depending on what part of Android Auto you are looking for the built in Android Auto Operating a system can satisfy a decent portion. I logged my car into my Google account downloaded Spotify and YouTube music and paired my phone. For what I need it is almost as good as Android Auto. I wish more Android apps were available for the car. The biggest issue I see is the vertical screen. Apple Car Play on my wife’s XC40 T5 uses only the bottom half of the screen since it is designs for horizontal screens. I suspect the same will be the case when it and Android Auto come to the Recharge. That makes the native OS 1 step better.

·
Registered
74 Posts
As more apps become available for Android Automotive OS, will we require a full OTA update to add them in, or will they appear separately as unrelated, smaller uploads?

·
Registered
243 Posts
As more apps become available for Android Automotive OS, will we require a full OTA update to add them in, or will they appear separately as unrelated, smaller uploads?
Apps are separate from the OS, just like on a phone. I just updated several today. No OS update so far for me.

As a separate topic, I was an Android Auto user for years but don't see any use for it going forward. I'm counting on Android Automotive fill the need and go beyond.

·
Registered
74 Posts
How do you update the apps on the car's OS?

The main advantage I see from Android Auto is being able to mirror my phone's screen directly and run all my Android phone's apps directly from my console screen such that I never have to fiddle with my phone while driving and I always have access to Android's full range of apps (rather than only what they decide to release for Android Automotive OS).

·
Registered
382 Posts
How do you update the apps on the car's OS?
Google Play Store. It's one of the pre-installed apps on the P8. This lets you install new apps & update existing ones. Update is a bit hidden, but open the Play Store app, and tap the "more" menu (3 dots) in the upper right. There you'll see the update option.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Actually a good question. I believe that some apps like Apple CarPlay (and presumably Android Auto) will require some updates to the Android Automotive OS itself before they'll be available. Which of course can only be updated via OTA car-software updates from Volvo.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I always have access to Android's full range of apps (rather than only what they decide to release for Android Automotive OS).
Is that actually true for Android Auto? You can run ANY phone app on the car's touchscreen? Even video apps like Netflix?

It's definitely not true for Apple CarPlay - it only lets you run "CarPlay approved" phone apps on the car's screen. Which are presumably only those that meet car-safety requirements. Which, among other things means no video streaming, unless you're in Park. (EDIT: actually, I don't think CarPlay allows video at all).

·
Registered
74 Posts
It may block video streaming for safety reasons (which would be smart), so maybe not all apps per se. I'd mainly just like my phone's screen mirrored on the center console so I can run (for instance) Amazon Music or Audible Audiobooks without having to fiddle with my phone while driving.

·
Registered
382 Posts
so I can run (for instance) Amazon Music or Audible Audiobooks
Yep, those apps are sadly missing from Play Store on XC40. Since they already fully support Android Auto, there’s not much more for them to do to run natively on AAOS. I’m guessing we’ll likely see those native apps before we see the Android Auto app.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Really, this is the only disappointing thing about my XC40 Recharge. Google's propensity for taking on big new things, only to lose interest in them after initial development. AAos has been around for almost two years now, and they are not pushing developers to add apps to the platform, heck, they can't even be bothered to put all of their own relevant apps on the platform!

I was so excited for AAos. Google and Apple both clearly have the capability to do infotainment systems better than your average carmaker, but the overall infotainment experience in the XC90 with Android Auto AND Apple CarPlay is vastly superior at this point in time.

The fact that it is taking them this long to add AA and CarPlay functionality indicates that Google has lost all interest in this product. It now makes a lot of sense why one of the German carmaker's (I think VW) announced that they would only use AAos a a temporary solution, while they where developing their own long term solution.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I believe Apple would do a better job as their desire to keep things unified across platforms vs. Google's fork at every turn mentality and then every fork has a different roadmap. My alarm panel runs on Android and I had t update it last year because that fork was dead. As it is the panel is based on a few version old Android. Google needs to make Android fully modular thus the core is the same and you bulk on AAOS, TV, Home, etc.

I think the miss is that a few car companies need to align and pool their development resources, otherwise I believe some brands are still doing a great job. The new Lexus OS in the 22 NX looks very promising.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Google's propensity for taking on big new things, only to lose interest in them after initial development.
Definitely true for Google's consumer-facing products. But do you think for a second that major automakers aren't going to get long-term contractual support guarantees from Google for AAOS?
they can't even be bothered to put all of their own relevant apps on the platform!
Which "relevant" Google apps are you referring to?

·
Registered
382 Posts
believe Apple would do a better job as their desire to keep things unified across platforms
Pretty sure Apple is never, never, ever going to go back to licensing their software to other companies, where Apple doesn't totally control the hardware as well. Whatever Apple is doing with cars - I think it will either end up as an actual Apple iCar someday, or nothing will come of it.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Definitely true for Google's consumer-facing products. But do you think for a second that major automakers aren't going to get long-term contractual support guarantees from Google for AAOS?

Which "relevant" Google apps are you referring to?

"Contract Support" will likely mean bug and security fixes. But look how quickly Google has abandoned even its own phones after 3 years? Are we expected to trade in the car every 3 years? And if AAOS should get popular enough you know it will get hacked somehow and then Google's way of rolling updates out will be the same as it is the the fractured phone market, basically good luck.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Pretty sure Apple is never, never, ever going to go back to licensing their software to other companies, where Apple doesn't totally control the hardware as well. Whatever Apple is doing with cars - I think it will either end up as an actual Apple iCar someday, or nothing will come of it.

May not be anything wrong with that, having minimum hardware specs would be good. integrate an iPad pro into the car for the infotainment and then send what needs to be send to the car makers instrument cluster. Let the car maker skin the iPad, but let Apple control the rest. As much as I am an Android phone person I have an iPad and I prefer Apples approach (seamless upgrades and quick updates), but use an Android phone until Apple lets me pick default music apps and such.

·
Registered
382 Posts
"Contract Support" will likely mean bug and security fixes. But look how quickly Google has abandoned even its own phones after 3 years? Are we expected to trade in the car every 3 years? And if AAOS should get popular enough you know it will get hacked somehow and then Google's way of rolling updates out will be the same as it is the the fractured phone market, basically good luck.
First, I think comparing phone product lifespan to car lifespan is a bit silly. On average people replace their phones every 3 years. Their cars - on average 6-10 years (depending on whose stats you're looking at).

Second, "Google's way" of rolling out Android OS updates is to leave it up to the phone/car/device manufacturers. Phone companies like Samsung have gotten to the point where it's a 3-6 month update cycle to the latest Android release. If Volvo can get to that point - a few core OS updates per year - that would be fantastic.

With proprietary car OS's - the update cycle ranges from "years" to "NEVER" (usually the latter).

As for "getting hacked", given a choice between an open-source system (AAOS) and a closed, proprietary system (most carOS's) I know which one I think will have better bug reporting & security updates.

·
Registered
968 Posts
First, I think comparing phone product lifespan to car lifespan is a bit silly. On average people replace their phones every 3 years. Their cars - on average 6-10 years (depending on whose stats you're looking at).

Second, "Google's way" of rolling out Android OS updates is to leave it up to the phone/car/device manufacturers. Phone companies like Samsung have gotten to the point where it's a 3-6 month update cycle to the latest Android release. If Volvo can get to that point - a few core OS updates per year - that would be fantastic.

With proprietary car OS's - the update cycle ranges from "years" to "NEVER" (usually the latter).

As for "getting hacked", given a choice between an open-source system (AAOS) and a closed, proprietary system (most carOS's) I know which one I think will have better bug reporting & security updates.
Google has not proven themselves to support anything for the length of time a person will own a car. Google abandons platforms as the wind blows. Look how far back Apple supports IOS. Add in the fact that you are no relying on Google to identify and roll out a fix then the car maker to test and roll it out. Like the phone makers the car makers could car less once you own the car, which is why they don't update their current OSes often. I would also say that is also because OTA updates for cars is relatively new outside of Tesla.

As for phone makers rolling out updates 3-6 that is on a good day and usually security fixes only. Volvo already has proven they under estimated (or at least did not disclose) the amount of effort to get this AAOS done. I doubt they went into the P8 and said we are going to release a car with some major features (XM, Carplay Android Auto, etc.) missing and hope to update them within a year.

I am fortunate, we bought a 21 XC40 T5 2 weeks before the P8 and Sensus is far more polished and complete than the P8 is. Not to mention her T5 with 1900 miles has ben rock solid and mine at 60 days has been out of service 15 of them.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts