Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Glad your back up and rolling.
yeah, it was killing me 2 days without the ride. If I thought the dealer could have really gotten a factory tire I would have done it. In theory the trade off is no low rolling resistance, but in theory a better tire and hire speed rating. Ironically the car never threw a TPMS error until I started driving with the new tires. I had checked tires 2 weeks ago and stored the pressure so I assume the rears now have a slight diameter difference that the car picked up.

Reactions: SeattleCat

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
And the saga continues. I reached out to Volvo to complain about the fact that 1 bad tire caused me to buy 2 and now run in a mismatched configuration and at first they said nothing they could do. When I pushed them they offered to comp me the 3 tires to have all 4 the same. When I reminded the tire shop that the ones they put on the back do not come in the size for the front they will go back to Pirelli and see what they can do. I told them just order the proper rears. He mentioned that Pirelli is not even sure when the P8 tires will be back in stock, they told him 3 different dates, some as far away as September.

Thanks to Volvo and Pirelli for this mess. Pick odd sizes then a manufacturer that did not make enough to stock any.

I am also frustrated with the indirect TPMS BS. This tire clearly was leaking for a while as I would fill it and it would hold air for over a day, just drops to 35psi quickly then slow from there. The TPMS never picked it up, but as soon as I put 2 new rears on it flagged them, how much different diameter could the new tires be vs. a tire running fairly low.

Update:

Tire shop called and Pirelli found 2 tires in PA (I am in GA) and are being shipped to the Tire shop. Waiting to here what if any refund I might get.

Reactions: 340driver

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
109 Posts
And the saga continues. I reached out to Volvo to complain about the fact that 1 bad tire caused me to buy 2 and now run in a mismatched configuration and at first they said nothing they could do. When I pushed them they offered to comp me the 3 tires to have all 4 the same. When I reminded the tire shop that the ones they put on the back do not come in the size for the front they will go back to Pirelli and see what they can do. I told them just order the proper rears. He mentioned that Pirelli is not even sure when the P8 tires will be back in stock, they told him 3 different dates, some as far away as September.

Thanks to Volvo and Pirelli for this mess. Pick odd sizes then a manufacturer that did not make enough to stock any.

I am also frustrated with the indirect TPMS BS. This tire clearly was leaking for a while as I would fill it and it would hold air for over a day, just drops to 35psi quickly then slow from there. The TPMS never picked it up, but as soon as I put 2 new rears on it flagged them, how much different diameter could the new tires be vs. a tire running fairly low.
Hard to believe that two companies like Volvo/Perelli could screw up so badly introducing a new tire with no market availability and this sure puts a big doubt on the accuracy or usefulness of TPMS.

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
92 Posts
Flat Tire Monitoring (which appears to be the tech Volvo is using here) typically works very well. I'm using it in my X1 and it has quickly detected differences of 5 lbs. or more. Maybe there's a problem with the calibration on the P8, though.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Flat Tire Monitoring (which appears to be the tech Volvo is using here) typically works very well. I'm using it in my X1 and it has quickly detected differences of 5 lbs. or more. Maybe there's a problem with the calibration on the P8, though.

I had it in my Audi and it seemed to work, but never had a flat or low tire. I will give it the benefit of the doubt for now. I am usually very vigilant on tires and prefer direct TPMS as I used to look at it every time I started the car. With my Audi and now the Volvo I try to check every 3-4 weeks as it is a hassle to go meter each tire and now with 2 Volvos it is a hassle. I have been looking at some of the direct TPMS upgrades either via vale cap or by having ties unmounted and real TPMS sensors added.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hard to believe that two companies like Volvo/Perelli could screw up so badly introducing a new tire with no market availability and this sure puts a big doubt on the accuracy or usefulness of TPMS.

Especially on a car with no spare. I have had the occasional bad flat on previous cars, but you mount the spare and the tire shop orders it and gets it in a day or so if they don't have it. This is totally ridiculous and I think Pirelli realizes it which is why now they are offering to get me on a all 4 the same model setup.

I lost use of the car for 2 days then wasted 2 hours getting non-optimal tires purchased and installed and now dealing with trying to get the correct tires.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Could be placebo effect, but I swear these Cinturato P7s are a tad softer riding, which in the rear is very welcome. Now if they only made this tire in the correct size for the fronts.

Reactions: SeattleCat

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Some tires have to be softer tires than others …

glad your enjoying them. You do need some good luck.

I just spent 3 hours cleaning and waxing my car :p so shiney.

something I have noticedis that the paint is very thin compared to my 23 year old Volvo v90 xc. Already 4 paint chips on the bonnet. Seems the paint is only one layer ….

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I believe the stock tires are more UHP AS while the Cinturato P7 is a Grand Touring likely accounting for the slight edge in softness. I also am skeptical of low rolling resistance tires as everything is a compromise, to be lower rolling resistant they need to have less friction and heat which to me (clearly layman understanding) can sacrifice grip.

I agree the paint on the Volvo is far from great, when I look close I see a few minor flaws. Fortunately I had both our XC40s ceramic coated. As an experiment I had her T5 done with Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light and my P8 with Crystal Serum Ultra. I thought the Ulra was marketing BS, but my wife notices the slight improvement in depth, shine and slickness. We will see how they hold up over time, my TLX was coated with the Light and I had that car 30 months and the shine and beading was as good the day I sold it as it was when they coated it. Really makes keeping the cars clean easier as stuff just floats off. I use Mr. Pink from Chemical Guys exclusively with a foam gun on my garden hose. I have owned a lot of cars and the 2 cars I have gotten complements on were my 19 TLX ASPEC Gray with Red interior and many more complements on the P8 in Bursting blue. I guy pulled next to me at a light and complemented the car and asked questions and just at the tire shop 3 different people came up to me to complement and ask questions. If only the pictures I posted did it justice.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Our little suvs are surprisingly eye catching to folks!!
Even without us leaving them behind at the lights :p

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
245 Posts
<sigh>

My turn. Right rear tire caught four screws. At least one penetrated, and I have a flat tire. All screws that I saw were within the safe repair band but I don't know if a tire repair shop would balk about letting a tire go out with as many as four patches. $)(@#$)(@#$

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
<sigh>

My turn. Right rear tire caught four screws. At least one penetrated, and I have a flat tire. All screws that I saw were within the safe repair band but I don't know if a tire repair shop would balk about letting a tire go out with as many as four patches. $)(@#$)(@#$

WOW, 4 that's rough. If only one went it they should not complain.I would say if all went through a patch is a patch and valid repair. I don't know if there are any of the OE tires on the east coast as I supposed have 2 coming form PA to GA. The Cinturato P7 seems to be a good tire, and even though it is not a "low rolling resistance" tire my wife was able to get 30kWh/100min on a 30 mile run today. so they are not hurting. They do seem a tad softer than the OE tires, but I am fine with it a sI am not plowing into corners with the car. The OE I believe is a UHP AS category and Cinturato is a Grand Touring, but has the same 500AA ratings.

·
Registered
245 Posts
WOW, 4 that's rough. If only one went it they should not complain.I would say if all went through a patch is a patch and valid repair. I don't know if there are any of the OE tires on the east coast as I supposed have 2 coming form PA to GA. The Cinturato P7 seems to be a good tire, and even though it is not a "low rolling resistance" tire my wife was able to get 30kWh/100min on a 30 mile run today. so they are not hurting. They do seem a tad softer than the OE tires, but I am fine with it a sI am not plowing into corners with the car. The OE I believe is a UHP AS category and Cinturato is a Grand Touring, but has the same 500AA ratings.
:-/ Not my best moment.

Dumb question (maybe), since you've gone through this...

What's the best course of action? I'm the type that will easily/happily jack it up and take it off, drive to a repair shop - and I did. This being the 4th/July weekend, the usual tire shops are closed today and my typical first choice (Les Schwab) closed tomorrow too.

Cost-wise, do you think I'm better off going to my dealership for this? Is there any implicit coverage for tire repairs from Volvo itself? There's a site that refers to the right tire and at Volvo dealer, but I'd rather not shell out a bunch of funds that I don't have to because I went the wrong route.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I would go to your favorite tire shop. If they won’t fix it see if they can order one, but the latest I was told is weeks maybe months. You can call the dealer parts person and have them search other dealers, but my dealers said they might have seen one in the system. If no one will fix it reach out to Pirelli and vent how can they release a fire with no inventory. At minimum get them to find a match set of something and ask them to comp you the one that was fine since it is not fair to eat 2 tires because they don’t have inventory. Dealer may help you, maybe reference the gp]old will memo and see if they will supply the tire.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Has anyone tried ordering on line ?

I know dealers / tire shops should be faster than us ordering them but … just curious

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
If you went with either dealer they would give you a liner vehicle would they not?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thanks. I'll go to "America's Tire" tomorrow and see how it goes.

On a side note, being used to 205-ish tires on past cars, I was kind of surprised how wide those 255s look with the wheel off the car. Pretty fat!!! I can't imagine something like 305's or 315's you'd see on Corvettes.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I do love how wide they look. Have always liked that visual.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
If you went with either dealer they would give you a liner vehicle would they not?
My dealer never has a loaner and best they told me is they could put me in a rental car. Never had this issue with Infiniti or Acura and my Audi was never in the shop for more than an oil ch age to know.

Has anyone tried ordering on line ?

I know dealers / tire shops should be faster than us ordering them but … just curious
Order from where? Other than Quattro Tires in Canada I have not seen these tires listed online. Discount Tire worked directly with Pirelli to find me the 2 in PA which are still not in GA yet. If I wanted buggy software and all these issues I would have bought a Tesla.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
No idea where on line it was more a does anyone know where you can order them on line.

My dealer always has loaners. Even when I used to get oil changes on my last getting ancient Volvo I got a loaner. Sorry yours has none.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts