Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And this is why I hate cars without a spare. Went to garage to check the air in the tires to find this one totally flat sitting on the rim thanks to this screw that is likely in the area they will not repair. If I pump the air up to 42 it hisses and settles down around 35, but seems to be a slow leak. Since it is Sunday I am rather "screwed" (pun intended) sine I won't risk driving anywhere. I picked up a can of Slime tire sealant and a plug kit, but am going to wait before attempting either. I have been driving for over 35 years an never owned a car without a spare until now, and this has me thinking if this happened somewhere isolated what would happen. I do think I am going to keep the plug kit in the car either way. Not a fan of plugs, but in a pinch they can be handy.

Fortunately I purchased tire/road hazard warrant from Discount Tire 2 weeks ago. Can't wait to see how hard it is to he the Pirelli Scorpion Zero. Will also call the dealer in AM as a backup plan.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
67 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You do know that a tire sealing kit comes with car?

And here is how to activate towing mode:https://www.volvotechinfo.com/siteContent/ExtricationGuide/MY2021-XC40RechargeFullElectric.pdf
Yes I do, but the replacement sealant is like $50 and if it holds air long enough to get to the tire store would rather not gum um the ire and valve. I think they will complain about fixing it as it is right on the bubble if patch zone so I want to make sure a replacement ture can be ordered before I go through all this.

Reactions: 340driver

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes I do, but the replacement sealant is like $50 and if it holds air long enough to get to the tire store would rather not gum um the ire and valve. I think they will complain about fixing it as it is right on the bubble if patch zone so I want to make sure a replacement ture can be ordered before I go through all this.
Perfect spot for an easy plug patch. Don't even remove the tire, just jack and make certain you have a jack stand under the car.

As a note, 35% of new cars do not come with a spare. Some come with run flat tires, but those are meant for short term use and just to get to the tire store.

You can buy a mini spare and it might fit under the rear cover.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Perfect spot for an easy plug patch. Don't even remove the tire, just jack and make certain you have a jack stand under the car.

As a note, 35% of new cars do not come with a spare. Some come with run flat tires, but those are meant for short term use and just to get to the tire store.

You can buy a mini spare and it might fit under the rear cover.
I picked up a plug kit today, but it looks like it will hold air long enough for me to get to tire shop tomorrow. And my last 2 cars did not come with a spare, but one was offered and I bought them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Okay, I completely agree with this sentiment - in fact I was going to begin a new thread about this. Have any of you looked into purchasing a limited use temporary spare ("donut") to keep in your P8? If so, what did you buy? Many thanks!!!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No place for it without giving up a lot of rear space. I know folks on the ID.4 forums figured out an Audi spare setup that works and all the have to do is put like a 1x2 to raise up the rear floor and the tire fits under the top rear deck.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
How does the weight of the car effect the emergency tire?

I think we have to use higher weight standard tires than most Volvo’s

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How does the weight of the car effect the emergency tire?

I think we have to use higher weight standard tires than most Volvo’s
We do, but I owned an Audi that was 4400 lbs and it had a spare.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Was also thinking you have Volvo road side. Would they not tow it to the tire place?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
We are 4,740 lbs curb weight. A 1000 heavier than the non ev xc40 but only a little heavier than your 4400 audi. Thought I had read 5200 somewhere mmmm

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Was your Audi curb weight or gross weight?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Was your Audi curb weight or gross weight?
That is a good question I do not recall, but I believe the XC40 is 4700 lbs, my Audi was 4300-4400. The point being they could do a spare if they wanted to. I get the space issues, but make it an option

Was also thinking you have Volvo road side. Would they not tow it to the tire place?
Correct, I called them yesterday. Waiting until Tire store opens and dealer opens. If tire store can get me a tire in a few days then I will have AAA flatbed to them since I bought tire warranty front them, if not then it gets flat he’d tomVolvo dealership and they can do tire and the other 2 things I was going to bring it to them this Friday for anyway.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Great, dealer is clueless and everyone I call says the OE tires are out of stock and not due for 2-4 weeks. Great move Volvo. I am replacing both rears with Pirellis Cinturato P7 AS 255/40 20 101V XL at a cost of $500. Was going to go with P Zero A/s, but tire shop said the Cinturato are more readily stocked and easier to get, the P Zero would be coming form out of state and 2 locations as no one place had 2.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK the hole was right in the bad spot for no repair. I had thought that would be the case. No factory tires anyway to be found. Wound up buying a pair of Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS 255/40 20 101V XL. Tread pattern does not differ too much from factory tires. I had Discount Tire road hazard on these so while these are normally $355 tires I got both installed and new road hazard protection for $494 out the door. Normally would have been north of $850 for a pair of these. I am printing the good will memeo and bring with me to dealer for my keys/software appointment Friday and going to see what they will do to comp me back. I could have waited 3-5 days to get the P Zero and save $100, but I am at least back in business.

Reactions: SeattleCat

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
67 Posts
Sorry to hear that Keith, is there no road hazard warranty on our Perelli's thru Volvo ?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry to hear that Keith, is there no road hazard warranty on our Perelli's thru Volvo ?
I m not aware of any default road hazard, the dealer tried to sell me tire/wheel road hazard for like $1000 which is insane. I always go to Discount Tire and buy lifetime rotate balance and road hazard. Since the P8 does not rotate they just sold me the road hazard for al, 4 tires for like $130 which has already paid off. The dealer found what he thinks was 1 tire I. The system, but was not sure he could get it. No time to play those games. Hoping Michelin releases their later this year for my next round of tires.

Reactions: 340driver

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Glad your back up and rolling.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts