Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue MFD 6/21
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is not a repost.

I found some useful details for US buyers where you can take advantage and get an additional federal tax credit for the installation of home chargers. You can get up to $1000 tax credit that would include hardware and installation.

Here some resources:
4 things you need to know about the EV Charging Tax Credit
Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Tax Credit
A video with some details (sorry, Tesla related)

It would be great to hear from those that have filed for it already.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I submitted on my 2020 taxes for expenses related to EV charging using TurboTax. It was quite painless and I had no issues doing it. We will be submitting additional expenses this year as well for changes we made to our charging setup.

Reactions: B-mtrd

·
Registered
64 Posts
I used the H&R Block product for 2020 and it did not allow me to e-file when I took this credit. I had to e-file directly with the IRS.

·
Registered
209 Posts
We had the electrical work done to run the 220 V line to our garage when our house was being constructed in 2019, in anticipation of a future electric car. Didn’t get the car or the wall unit until 2021.
From one of those sites, it seems I could still claim the fee I paid for the outlet back in 2019 on this year’s taxes. I will have to investigate that further. Anyone else have experience with that?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We had the electrical work done to run the 220 V line to our garage when our house was being constructed in 2019, in anticipation of a future electric car. Didn’t get the car or the wall unit until 2021.
From one of those sites, it seems I could still claim the fee I paid for the outlet back in 2019 on this year’s taxes. I will have to investigate that further. Anyone else have experience with that?
From what I understand you would need to file an addendum to the 2019 taxes but you should contact an accountant or tax attorney.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I used the H&R Block product for 2020 and it did not allow me to e-file when I took this credit. I had to e-file directly with the IRS.
Odd. I was able to e-file with TurboTax with no issues when we took this credit.

·
Premium Member
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
294 Posts
Odd. I was able to e-file with TurboTax with no issues when we took this credit.
Glad to hear it as I will be filing with Turbo Tax this year and will have both the AFI tax credit and the EV tax credit for this tax year.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve been using HR Block for many years… I hope they fix the issue.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Glad to hear it as I will be filing with Turbo Tax this year and will have both the AFI tax credit and the EV tax credit for this tax year.
We’ll be doing the same this year as well. I’m expecting to be as smooth as it was last year with TurboTax.

·
Registered
209 Posts
From what I understand you would need to file an addendum to the 2019 taxes but you should contact an accountant or tax attorney.
The one article you linked to says the following:
Rectangle Font Circle Parallel Paper

Oh but it was published in 2020....

So an amendment probably is needed. Not sure I'll bite on that one but will think it over.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My 2020 claim was for a 2018 NEMA 14-50 install. I’ll have one this year for the ChargePoint Home.

We might not know if they will go “back in time” like that again for 2021 returns until the instructions come out next year.

Edit: I used Form 3800 for my 2020 return.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the same issue with H&R Block this year, I went the opposite route and e-filed my return from the software without form 8911 so I could get my refund quicker, then snail-mailed an amended return including the form. The IRS is so backed up that six months later they still haven't processed it yet. From discussion I can find online it looks like people have been complaining to H&R block for years that this form needs to be added, but to no avail.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Correct on H&R Block, it’s really disappointing. Form 8911 isn’t even in the program to print, let alone e-file. Form 3800 is included but you don’t find out that form prevents you from e-filing your return until you try to file.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I called H&R Block and they confirm that as of now they don’t have form 8911 for e-filing. Very disappointing as I’ve been using them for years now. They said to contact them again next year before filing. Very disappointing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts