Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be driving between California and New Mexico, i.e. through the Arizona heat bubble. With my dog. I need bulletproof air conditioning to keep her (and myself) comfortable and safe. I’m about to buy either the gas version of the XC40 or a Tesla Model 3. I read about problems with AC on the UK site.

What’s your experience? Is the AC sufficient to keep the car cool in hot climates? Is it reliable?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Xc40 P8. Have been in 117 degree weather in mine and it did good. However a few people have had problems with the ac of née xc40s which needed dealership fixing. The numbers are small but … if you had a week or two to guarantee it works would be good.

On the flip side there is always a chance any new car will have a problem from simple to complex as is the nature of complex systems.

Reactions: Rangaranga1

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
If you can afford the extra the P8 is amazing. It is a completely different driving experience than an ice car. So quiet. Smooth. Instant power. Controllability (opd). I love my P8 it redefined driving.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m range anxious about the drive from CA to NM. I have visions of nonfunctioning charge stations and long lines. Apps show much more recharge time for road trips than Tesla M3.I’ve test driven the Tesla and love driving it. Much more efficient than the XC40 Recharge but Volvo quality is way ahead. I’m considering the S60 Recharge also.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Have you used ABRP?

What city are you starting and ending at? Will run it though as well see how it looks. We got real good with tools on recent trip.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, ABRP is what made me decide not to try the XC40 Recharge. It shows the drive from Goleta CA to Santa Fe NM as 5 stops for a total of 2 hours. If any of those 5 chargers weren’t working, or connections fail I’d be in a bad situation, especially with my dog in tow.

I put down a deposit on a T3 Long Range, which shows 2 stops/1hr10min for the same route. However, the T3 is not what I want in other ways.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Interesting I had 4:24 of stops at 8 charging stations when I put it in my ABRP.

Depending on where charging is there are between none and a lot of backup options. I do hope ea prioritizes the ones in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
P8 is so much fun to drive … and a dream long distance. It just forces you to take more breaks :) or puppy adventure times :)

·
Premium Member
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
261 Posts
I will be driving between California and New Mexico, i.e. through the Arizona heat bubble. With my dog. I need bulletproof air conditioning to keep her (and myself) comfortable and safe. I’m about to buy either the gas version of the XC40 or a Tesla Model 3. I read about problems with AC on the UK site.

What’s your experience? Is the AC sufficient to keep the car cool in hot climates? Is it reliable?
I'm in the mountains of Western North Carolina and recently have found the AC anemic for the rear seat passengers. Can't image how hot it gets in the "boot" behind the rear seats. If the dog can hang out in the rear seats (either folded up or down) in front of the rear vents in the console, should be OK.

I have the heat pump and have had no problems with the AC. Pre-conditioning before driving makes a difference. I just forget to do it from the VC app before I return to the vehicle or to schedule it before I leave the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
264 Posts
I have an all black T5 and had no concerns on a hot summer day with a big furry dog. Always made sure the rear vents were open and kept the fan on Auto-3 minimally.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was driving my 2021 T3 in Spain this last summer and my AC would stop blowing. I could feel the cold and hear the air blowing but no cold air blowing out.

this happened a few time with the last blowing ice chunks at me through the vents.

My dealer wants the car in for troubleshooting.

I’ll post an update after the visit

1 - 15 of 15 Posts