Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having recurring issues with the air conditioning not working. The issue is not consistent--some drives it works some it doesn't-and only once as it stopped working mid drive (that I've noticed). I am driving a recharge with the heat pump. I know I have seen this issue before but it seems less common than it was a few months back so am wondering if there is an easy solution (i.e. is there a way to reset the air conditioner?). Or if you have taken it in to the dealer has that solved the problem. I suppose I will be taking it in but rather avoid the hassle. thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have been having recurring issues with the air conditioning not working. The issue is not consistent--some drives it works some it doesn't-and only once as it stopped working mid drive (that I've noticed). I am driving a recharge with the heat pump. I know I have seen this issue before but it seems less common than it was a few months back so am wondering if there is an easy solution (i.e. is there a way to reset the air conditioner?). Or if you have taken it in to the dealer has that solved the problem. I suppose I will be taking it in but rather avoid the hassle. thanks
Was this a dealer demo car? Some of those had earlier software that needs to be updated to fix AC problems (among other things). The cars delivered since late April should have already had that update (that's why they were held at the ports so long).

Volvo makes it harder than necessary to determine your car's software level - but your Settings -> System -> About should show an Android kernel build date of March 18 or later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was this a dealer demo car? Some of those had earlier software that needs to be updated to fix AC problems (among other things). The cars delivered since late April should have already had that update (that's why they were held at the ports so long).

Volvo makes it harder than necessary to determine your car's software level - but your Settings -> System -> About should show an Android kernel build date of March 18 or later.
I have the later version that was held at the port and not released until the April update. Thinking back though I see now that you are right in that the issue I was seeing on this and other forums were all in cars that were having the issue pre the April update. Thanks for jogging my memory....

·
Registered
974 Posts
If you have ax issues take it in. The car should have perfectly good 100% functional ac. Not experiencing this can be due to
Software
Over/undercharged system
Mechanical issues

all of these are fixable at the dealer. Do not put up with intermittently failing ac.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm having the exact same issue with my XC40 P8 Recharge, last week the A/C wouldn't kick on in the morning, but in the afternoon it was fine, yesterday it worked perfectly, today it won't work and I've turned the car on and off several times. 2.5 week wait to get it looked at by the dealer, I hope there isn't a parts back order!

I have the latest June S/W update.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm having the exact same issue with my XC40 P8 Recharge, last week the A/C wouldn't kick on in the morning, but in the afternoon it was fine, yesterday it worked perfectly, today it won't work and I've turned the car on and off several times. 2.5 week wait to get it looked at by the dealer, I hope there isn't a parts back order!

I have the latest June S/W update.
The Expansion valve replacement in our case did not fix the issue - went back a week later and the dealer had a Volvo Tech rep have a look and it was decided to replace the heat exchanger and a fuse box relay - A/C has been working well now for the last 2 weeks - so I think the issue is now resolved, will continue to monitor. We have the latest software update as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The evening I bought my XC40 in May of this year, the A/C worked fine. The next day the A/C did not work. The following day, it started working again. Then, over the course of 6 weeks, sometimes it worked and other times it did not. There is no consistent pattern. I took it to service when it wasn't working. They didn't get to it for two days and then the A/C was working. They kept it two more days, and then they were able to recreate the problem, however, they have no idea why. They replaced a valve and applied the June 2021 software update. They kept the car for another day to make sure it was fixed, but the A/C failed again after the valve replacement and software update. I, too, have the model with teh heat pump for cold winters.I bought the car in Illinois and I live in Wisconsin. The dealer has now sent a help ticket to Volvo headquarters asking them what they should do. The service department has now had my car 2 weeks without being able to solve the problem. Based on posts I am seeing about A/C problems, there seems to be a major defect. Has anyone had a successful outcome in resolving the A/C problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
@Welland canada recharge would you mind sharing the contact info for your dealership that fixed the problem for you? I would like my dealer's service tech talk to your service tech since they seemed to have resolved the problem. I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Sorry your having such issues. So annoying that they are not able to work out what is wrong :(

do you have a heat pump? Some people have had to replace that.

·
Registered
241 Posts
@Welland canada recharge would you mind sharing the contact info for your dealership that fixed the problem for you? I would like my dealer's service tech talk to your service tech since they seemed to have resolved the problem. I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks.
Replacement of expansion valve did not solve issue for us. They then had a Volvo tech rep have a look and replaced heat exchanger and a rely in the fuse box. Has worked fine for the last 3 weeks. Dealer is Volvo Villa in Thornhill Ontario Canada. Service advisor is Len - dealer technician is Kevin.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Replacement of expansion valve did not solve issue for us. They then had a Volvo tech rep have a look and replaced heat exchanger and a rely in the fuse box. Has worked fine for the last 3 weeks. Dealer is Volvo Villa in Thornhill Ontario Canada. Service advisor is Len - dealer technician is Kevin.
Thank you for your prompt reply, and I appreciate the contact information! Hopefully, I can convince my dealer to reach out to them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
.I bought the car in Illinois and I live in Wisconsin. The dealer has now sent a help ticket to Volvo headquarters asking them what they should do. The service department has now had my car 2 weeks without being able to solve the problem. Based on posts I am seeing about A/C problems, there seems to be a major defect. Has anyone had a successful outcome in resolving the A/C problem?
I have the heat pump and also had intermittent A/C issues. Dealer had previously been replacing valve as the fix but results were not consistent with heat pump models. They were advised by Volvo to replace just the relay and it’s been solid for ~2 weeks since then.

Fields Volvo in Northfield, IL. Service mgr is Richard Weinstein.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the heat pump and also had intermittent A/C issues. Dealer had previously been replacing valve as the fix but results were not consistent with heat pump models. They were advised by Volvo to replace just the relay and it’s been solid for ~2 weeks since then.

Fields Volvo in Northfield, IL. Service mgr is Richard Weinstein.
Thank you for letting me know. Another owner reported their dealer also replaced the fuse relay as well as the heat exchanger. They have been good for the last 3 weeks, so it sounds like teh fuse replay is key. I appreciate the advice. I will share with my dealer who doesn't seem to be in teh loop. It appears us "early adopters" share more meaningful information faster than the Volvo Service Bulletin.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry your having such issues. So annoying that they are not able to work out what is wrong :(

do you have a heat pump? Some people have had to replace that.
Thanks for the tip. Yes, we have a heat pump. It seems the problem is with models that have a heat pump, but the problem is not the physical heat pump itself. It appears two owners had success when the fuse relay and the heat exchanger were replaced (perhaps the heat exchanger and heat pump are the same thing). Thanks, again.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Yes, we have a heat pump. It seems the problem is with models that have a heat pump, but the problem is not the physical heat pump itself. It appears two owners had success when the fuse relay and the heat exchanger were replaced (perhaps the heat exchanger and heat pump are the same thing). Thanks, again.
No they are separate items - as I do not have the Heat Pump.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
234 Posts
I just got to wondering -- the P8s with a heat-pump -- does this supplement or just completely replace any other heating - eg, resistive - for the cabin?

I saw an article suggesting EV heat pumps can work down into the -10F range, although much more slowly due to the small temperature differential between refrigerant and ambient air. Considering Scandinavian countries routinely see subzero temperatures (I assume, anyway), I wonder if a heat-pump-only setup can get the job done.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I just got to wondering -- the P8s with a heat-pump -- does this supplement or just completely replace any other heating - eg, resistive - for the cabin?

I saw an article suggesting EV heat pumps can work down into the -10F range, although much more slowly due to the small temperature differential between refrigerant and ambient air. Considering Scandinavian countries routinely see subzero temperatures (I assume, anyway), I wonder if a heat-pump-only setup can get the job done.
supplement only as I am aware.

·
Registered
974 Posts

A great question I have been asking for months. I imagined that the cooking system remained the same with a heat pump built in to improve efficiency in some situations.

Trying to get proof of how Volvo implemented it is hard.

I would also love love love to see data on the difference of a Volvo with and without from Volvo.

Still at 350 it was worth getting in the hope it rocks it out :)

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
61 Posts
A great question I have been asking for months. I imagined that the cooking system remained the same with a heat pump built in to improve efficiency in some situations.

Trying to get proof of how Volvo implemented it is hard.

I would also love love love to see data on the difference of a Volvo with and without from Volvo.

Still at 350 it was worth getting in the hope it rocks it out :)
Difference was 7% higher efficiency with heat pump:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Right on Tesla which gives us a good cap for the current best it could improve it.
Nice info.

Reactions: DeaneG
1 - 20 of 28 Posts