Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on deciding what I want to do for roof bars for my P8 that might, maybe, fingers-crossed, actually get delivered in the next few weeks.
Anyone have photos of the Volvo bars installed?
I’m also considering the equivalent product from Thule in order to be able get bars that are black instead of silver. The Thule AeroBlade has a warning for mounting on an XC40 that it may not allow use of the sunroof, does anyone know if that is the case?
Any other advice?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I got the Volvo ones for $250 or so at a Volvo dealer, which was about $100 less than quoted at the dealer where I bought the car. I wanted black also, but the silver doesn't look bad, and it was worth it to me just to pick it up, not to worry about on-line hassles: what would fit, sending it back, etc. They are easy to put on and take off, but don't make an appreciable amount of noise, anyway, and do not interfere with the sun/moon roof.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Related question from a soon to be first time Volvo owner. Are the OEM load bars compatible with accessories from Thule, or can you only use Volvo-branded bike racks, load boxes, etc?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I got the Volvo load bars and plan to put Yakima ski racks on them in the winter (haven’t checked for fit/compatibility yet). I’m able to open/close the sunroof with no problems - there is about two inches of clearance when there is nothing else attached to the load bars.

Photos of car with load bars, and open sunroof clearance

Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Related question from a soon to be first time Volvo owner. Are the OEM load bars compatible with accessories from Thule, or can you only use Volvo-branded bike racks, load boxes, etc?
The Volvo bars are actually made by Thule, so definitely. And almost all rooftop products are made to be maximally interchangeable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Correct, the Volvo/Thule uses the same T Slot like Yakima and my Yakima ski rack fits. Nice fact about Volvo system, it is really easy to take off and put on, so you don’t need to keep it on for non skiing trips. Don’t have a picture with the Ski racks yet.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I got the Volvo ones for $250 or so at a Volvo dealer...
Can you confirm $250 for two rails, and all the mounting hardware?

FWIW, I'm looking at the Thule website, and it recommends Thule Wingbars Evo 118 and the
Thule Flush Rail Evo Kit 186010 for $600. If Volvo is offering that for $250, that's a steal.

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
I asked my dealer to throw in Volvo's load bars to clinch the deal. Thule's prices for a similar thing look very high.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts