Volvo XC40 Forum banner

Advice for crossbars?

18K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Maribo 
#1 ·
Working on deciding what I want to do for roof bars for my P8 that might, maybe, fingers-crossed, actually get delivered in the next few weeks.
Anyone have photos of the Volvo bars installed?
I’m also considering the equivalent product from Thule in order to be able get bars that are black instead of silver. The Thule AeroBlade has a warning for mounting on an XC40 that it may not allow use of the sunroof, does anyone know if that is the case?
Any other advice?

#2 ·
I got the Volvo ones for $250 or so at a Volvo dealer, which was about $100 less than quoted at the dealer where I bought the car. I wanted black also, but the silver doesn't look bad, and it was worth it to me just to pick it up, not to worry about on-line hassles: what would fit, sending it back, etc. They are easy to put on and take off, but don't make an appreciable amount of noise, anyway, and do not interfere with the sun/moon roof.

#8 ·
I got the Volvo ones for $250 or so at a Volvo dealer...
Can you confirm $250 for two rails, and all the mounting hardware?

FWIW, I'm looking at the Thule website, and it recommends Thule Wingbars Evo 118 and the
Thule Flush Rail Evo Kit 186010 for $600. If Volvo is offering that for $250, that's a steal.

#4 ·
I got the Volvo load bars and plan to put Yakima ski racks on them in the winter (haven’t checked for fit/compatibility yet). I’m able to open/close the sunroof with no problems - there is about two inches of clearance when there is nothing else attached to the load bars.

Photos of car with load bars, and open sunroof clearance

Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Car
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

#9 ·

#13 ·
Working on deciding what I want to do for roof bars for my P8 that might, maybe, fingers-crossed, actually get delivered in the next few weeks.
Anyone have photos of the Volvo bars installed?
I’m also considering the equivalent product from Thule in order to be able get bars that are black instead of silver. The Thule AeroBlade has a warning for mounting on an XC40 that it may not allow use of the sunroof, does anyone know if that is the case?
Any other advice?
I'm waiting for my XC40 to arrive in a couple months, and am also wondering about the roof bars and how they may look, and affect the sunroof. What did you decide on? And are you happy with your choice? Any advice? Really mostly curious what it's like to open the sunroof with the load bars installed. Do you have a nice open sunroof? Or is it weird to look up and see a cross bar going over it? Thanks!!

#14 ·
Of course they block the view a little. OTOH, I find it reassuring to sometimes check the load by merely looking up. They definitely do not interfere with opening and closing. Whether it looks good or not is purely personal; I don't have any problem with the looks. They are easy to take on and off. I leave them off until I need to put them on, then leave them on until I want to take them off, which is usually because I don't want to listen to the wind noise at highway speeds.

#18 ·
Good question. If it does, this is a great deal (usually Volvo-sold accessories are not a great deal compared to other sources). For example, a comparable Yakima system is $544.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.