Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Volvo C40 Fjord Blue Pure Electric Recharge Ultimat
246 Posts
I did -- I actually originally put a deposit down for a Polestar 2! I immediately fell in love with the drive -- it's super speedy and I was impressed with how quiet it is inside. However I am more drawn to SUV-like cars and XC40/C40 felt SO much more spacious inside. I was also turned off by all of the quality issues I read about the car.

3 years?? My dealer quoted me 1 year. Is it because you're a legacy customer? Now I'm wondering if this is something that's negotiable...
Not kidding! Go have a talk with your Volvo dealer (not the person that sold you the car), but the General Manager of the store. Or…give volvo customer service a buzz. I have 4 years of free charging. My buddy who drives a Tesla Model S has free life time charging. Volvo and Polestar could do better in this space to make the charging experience a bit more sweeter!
No trips to the gas station and free charging right now makes me feel super good about my hard earned $$ investment in the C40!

·
Registered
246 Posts
No issues for me. I have both the C and XC. I’d choose the XC as someone who likes to get outdoors. For example, I was able to order a Thule rack for the XC and nothing yet available for the C. Also, better room in the hatch.

That said, I love my C and it looks sleek. It’s also fun having a car that I’ve never seen anyone else with where I live. Rural-ish Pacific Northwest here and I see plenty of XC40 Recharges and have yet to see a C40. That part is kinda fun, but not really a “factor” in buying a car.

Have you checked out Polestar? 2 years free charging
Since having the C40 in January 2022, I have driven and flown to many regions of the country for work. Not a single C40 in sight. I finally landed up meeting a guy from Chattanooga, TN who was charging his Fjord Blue C40 at a Nashville EA charging station that I happened to find and love. It’s a real special feeling that I can’t explain in words.

Let us savor and enjoy the pride of a C40 ownership until such time Polestar and Volvos electric fleet start flooding the market! 😇

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Not kidding! Go have a talk with your Volvo dealer (not the person that sold you the car), but the General Manager of the store. Or…give volvo customer service a buzz. I have 4 years of free charging. My buddy who drives a Tesla Model S has free life time charging. Volvo and Polestar could do better in this space to make the charging experience a bit more sweeter!
No trips to the gas station and free charging right now makes me feel super good about my hard earned $$ investment in the C40!
What about the standard warranty? Are those terms also negotiable? If you can't tell already, first time new car buyer over here ‍🙋‍♀️

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
1,019 Posts
What about the standard warranty? Are those terms also negotiable? If can't tell already, first time new car buyer over here ‍🙋‍♀️
Pretty sure you'll find the standard warranty terms are non-negotiable. The dealer may of course offer some sort of aftermarket extended warranty or wheel and tyre warranty etc...but the Volvo factory warranty is whatever the terms are at time of sale, and not dictated by the dealer. Good luck with your purchase!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm deciding between the C40 and XC40 Recharge, but am learning towards the C40 since my dealer is saying the car will be delivered this year (and I'm concerned about changes to the EV tax credit in 2023). However I won't deny that the limited rear window view worries me. It was... okay during my test drive and less than ideal. I'm curious how it was for current C40 owners to initially adjust to the limited rear view? Did you have to adjust your driving (or increase reliance on BLIS)? Do you miss having a normal sized rear view window? Would love to hear your thoughts!
I have to bend down a little bit if I want a more expansive and further view from the rear view mirror. No biggie.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I did -- I actually originally put a deposit down for a Polestar 2! I immediately fell in love with the drive -- it's super speedy and I was impressed with how quiet it is inside. However I am more drawn to SUV-like cars and XC40/C40 felt SO much more spacious inside. I was also turned off by all of the quality issues I read about the car.

3 years?? My dealer quoted me 1 year. Is it because you're a legacy customer? Now I'm wondering if this is something that's negotiable...
The OP may be confusied about the EA pass or membership or whatever it’s called versus our getting a certain number of charging hours during that membership period.

·
Registered
246 Posts
What about the standard warranty? Are those terms also negotiable? If you can't tell already, first time new car buyer over here ‍🙋‍♀️
Nope standard warranty is non negotiable and a directive by Volvo. It’s exciting to be a first time car buyer because you could ask for the “ “sky” and get a few stars ⭐. I took an extended warranty on my C40 and that’s a price and package that can be negotiated as well.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The OP may be confusied about the EA pass or membership or whatever it’s called versus our getting a certain number of charging hours during that membership period.
Guys,
Here is the link and official write up from EA on their partnership offer on charging with Volvo C40 and XC40. This was one piece I missed where I wasn’t informed by my Volvo dealer and I wasn’t educated well enough prior to my purchase. I happen to stumble on it after I became much more EV savvy 😌.

Volvo DC Fast Charging Plan
Promotion Terms and Conditions

Effective as of September 1, 2021

Electrify America, LLC (“Electrify America”) and Volvo Car Corporation (“Volvo”) are pleased to provide the Volvo DC Fast Charging Plan (“Promotion”) to drivers of new 2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge and C40 Recharge vehicles purchased from an authorized Volvo retailer. This Promotion provides 250 kWh of complimentary DC fast (CCS) and Level 2 charging, at no additional cost and valid for 3 years, and a subsequent 12-month Electrify America Pass+ membership. The Promotion starts from the date of vehicle purchase, of which is provided to Electrify America by your vehicle’s manufacturer. By clicking “Agree” below, you agree to participate in this Plan, subject to your compliance with all Electrify America terms applicable to the Plan (including the terms contained in this disclosure and the app’s Terms of Use, which together govern your use of the Plan).

This is cool! 😎🤞👆🏼

·
Registered
2022 Volvo C40
32 Posts
Guys,
Here is the link and official write up from EA on their partnership offer on charging with Volvo C40 and XC40. This was one piece I missed where I wasn’t informed by my Volvo dealer and I wasn’t educated well enough prior to my purchase. I happen to stumble on it after I became much more EV savvy 😌.

Volvo DC Fast Charging Plan
Promotion Terms and Conditions

Effective as of September 1, 2021

Electrify America, LLC (“Electrify America”) and Volvo Car Corporation (“Volvo”) are pleased to provide the Volvo DC Fast Charging Plan (“Promotion”) to drivers of new 2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge and C40 Recharge vehicles purchased from an authorized Volvo retailer. This Promotion provides 250 kWh of complimentary DC fast (CCS) and Level 2 charging, at no additional cost and valid for 3 years, and a subsequent 12-month Electrify America Pass+ membership. The Promotion starts from the date of vehicle purchase, of which is provided to Electrify America by your vehicle’s manufacturer. By clicking “Agree” below, you agree to participate in this Plan, subject to your compliance with all Electrify America terms applicable to the Plan (including the terms contained in this disclosure and the app’s Terms of Use, which together govern your use of the Plan).

This is cool! 😎🤞👆🏼
It is nice... but the free charging is Level 2 (like a Nema 14-50 home charger)... it would take 6-8hrs to charge up your C40 recharge. So nice... but, not really useful. Unless you don't have the ability to have a EVSE installed in your garage or home.

And after putting 14K miles on our C40 since we got it at the beginning of February 2022...
the EA+ membership is nice... and saves a lot when charging on road trips.

Though for us Volvo EV owners... the more exciting thing is if and when the Volvo/Chargepoint DC fast chargers/Starbucks will expand beyond the pilot route from Seattle to Denver. Supposedly that will very likely be free for Volvo EV owners. Crossing my fingers it moves to my area of the US after this initial route proves to be a great success.

·
Registered
246 Posts
It is nice... but the free charging is Level 2 (like a Nema 14-50 home charger)... it would take 6-8hrs to charge up your C40 recharge. So nice... but, not really useful. Unless you don't have the ability to have a EVSE installed in your garage or home.

And after putting 14K miles on our C40 since we got it at the beginning of February 2022...
the EA+ membership is nice... and saves a lot when charging on road trips.

Though for us Volvo EV owners... the more exciting thing is if and when the Volvo/Chargepoint DC fast chargers/Starbucks will expand beyond the pilot route from Seattle to Denver. Supposedly that will very likely be free for Volvo EV owners. Crossing my fingers it moves to my area of the US after this initial route proves to be a great success.
I am sure Volvo/Starbucks will expand, it’s just a matter of time which could be likely end of 2023 or even 2024. It’s interesting they chose that corridor due to a forecast in pent up EV demand on the USA west coast. When I was in Austin, TX last weekend and I took a quick glimpse at Teslas massive gigafactory, I couldn’t see a single C40…not one. Saw a ton of XC60, XC90 and a few XC40! Makes us C40 guys feel special 😇.

·
Registered
'22 C40 Fjord Blue in & out
212 Posts
Not so; like it says, the promo gives 250 kWh of level 2 OR DC fast charging at EA stations. Most EA stations seem to offer only DC fast charging in my experience.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm deciding between the C40 and XC40 Recharge, but am learning towards the C40 since my dealer is saying the car will be delivered this year (and I'm concerned about changes to the EV tax credit in 2023). However I won't deny that the limited rear window view worries me. It was... okay during my test drive and less than ideal. I'm curious how it was for current C40 owners to initially adjust to the limited rear view? Did you have to adjust your driving (or increase reliance on BLIS)? Do you miss having a normal sized rear view window? Would love to hear your thoughts!
Well... I don't have nor driven a C, but the XC is just a small SUV about the size of a CRV...maybe a tad smaller.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I thought my C40 would be rare, but about a week or two after I got mine (in May) another one showed up on my suburban block. Like six houses down. 😁
What color is yours and your neighbor. We get to decide who’s super famous based on colors. 😇😉

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine's Fjord Blue, and the neighbor's is Thunder Gray (which is nice, but it's no Fjord Blue).

Anyway, back to the topic: like BruinToo, I have to duck my head down a bit to see very far behind me through that mail-slot window. I'm 6'4". It's my least favorite thing about the car*.

* except perhaps that I lost connectivity today for the first time and I haven't been able to get it back. Right now I'm trying the modem-reset-then-lock-overnight as suggested by Volvo support.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mine's Fjord Blue, and the neighbor's is Thunder Gray (which is nice, but it's no Fjord Blue).

Anyway, back to the topic: like BruinToo, I have to duck my head down a bit to see very far behind me through that mail-slot window. I'm 6'4". It's my least favorite thing about the car*.

* except perhaps that I lost connectivity today for the first time and I haven't been able to get it back. Right now I'm trying the modem-reset-then-lock-overnight as suggested by Volvo support.
Aiight - you win hands down! Good choice of color Fjord Blue is the super sexiest of them Colors out there! There is virtually no Thunder I that Grey pale color - 🤙

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Did you have to adjust your driving (or increase reliance on BLIS)? Do you miss having a normal sized rear view window? Would love to hear your thoughts!
No issues, although I did add small convex spot mirrors to the outside rear view mirrors, as I have with all my cars, to improve blind spot visibility. These mirrors also provide additional visibility behind the car.

·
Registered
246 Posts
No issues, although I did add small convex spot mirrors to the outside rear view mirrors, as I have with all my cars, to improve blind spot visibility. These mirrors also provide additional visibility behind the car.
How did you get them the convex spot mirrors installed? By yourself or a professional car-after market installer?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts