Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm deciding between the C40 and XC40 Recharge, but am learning towards the C40 since my dealer is saying the car will be delivered this year (and I'm concerned about changes to the EV tax credit in 2023). However I won't deny that the limited rear window view worries me. It was... okay during my test drive and less than ideal. I'm curious how it was for current C40 owners to initially adjust to the limited rear view? Did you have to adjust your driving (or increase reliance on BLIS)? Do you miss having a normal sized rear view window? Would love to hear your thoughts!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm deciding between the C40 and XC40 Recharge, but am learning towards the C40 since my dealer is saying the car will be delivered this year (and I'm concerned about changes to the EV tax credit in 2023). However I won't deny that the limited rear window view worries me. It was... okay during my test drive and less than ideal. I'm curious how it was for current C40 owners to initially adjust to the limited rear view? Did you have to adjust your driving (or increase reliance on BLIS)? Do you miss having a normal sized rear view window? Would love to hear your thoughts!
Honestly it doesn't bother me, you have all the sensors and its really not that bad.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have had my C40 for two months now, and I have not had any issues with the rather limited view out the rear window, however, I used to drive a truck for a living and had no view out any rear window. back then I simply relied on my mirrors to see what was behind me. And at that time, I didn't have the luxury of rear viewing cameras that I now have with my C40. I love my C40.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have owned my C40 since April and have adjusted to the view out the back using the cabin rear view mirror. My dog occupies the rear seat, so I flipped forward the rear head restraints. That helps a great deal.

·
Registered
2022 C40 Ultimate Fjord
15 Posts
I find it pretty annoying. Mostly because I am in the habit of frequently checking to see if there is a police car coming up behind me (for undisclosed reasons). I don't feel like it's a safety issue though. I would not trade it for an XC40. It's just too pretty!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've got my rearview mirror tilted up a little bit which allows me to see further behind me and I always leave the rear headrests down, which helps (nobody ever back there except dog). Rear visibility is livable, IMHO, but if you find you can't get used to it, get one of those camera rearview mirrors installed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I find it pretty annoying. Mostly because I am in the habit of frequently checking to see if there is a police car coming up behind me (for undisclosed reasons). I don't feel like it's a safety issue though. I would not trade it for an XC40. It's just too pretty!
I'm in a similar boat to you. I frequently check the rear window -- force of habit from driving school, I suppose. I am leaning towards the C40 now -- it is definitely more of a unique looking car vs the XC40. Plus I can get it in fusion red and it'll hopefully arrive sooner. 😄

·
Registered
166 Posts
We have two cars with mail slot sized rear view (C40, Model Y). For me it didn't take long to get used to it. I think after a couple of weeks I didn't even notice that the rear view was super tiny in the Model Y. When the C40 arrived, I was so used to it from the Model Y it just felt normal to me.

Reactions: javi and BuzzyBud

·
Registered
492 Posts
@TomDac @BuzzyBud Unrelated to the original subject of this post, but do you have the faux suede seats? I also have a dog and those seats seems like a lint/dog hair magnet. I have a feeling I'll be doing frequent vacuuming...
Yes, I have the faux suede seats. My dog is a labradoodle and does not shed. He prefers to ride in the back, so I have a dog seat cover which helps when he is wet.

·
Registered
168 Posts
@TomDac @BuzzyBud Unrelated to the original subject of this post, but do you have the faux suede seats? I also have a dog and those seats seems like a lint/dog hair magnet. I have a feeling I'll be doing frequent vacuuming...
This is what we use and fits perfectly:

Reactions: javi

·
Registered
2022 Volvo C40 Fjord Blue Pure Electric Recharge Ultimat
203 Posts
Been driving the C40 for the past 7 months now, and the rear window view while seems constrained doesn’t bother me one bit. The side mirrors and the rear view mirror along with the 360 collision warning cameras are phenomenal. I drove a 2004 XC90 2.5T FWD with none of this tech. (NO BLIS, NO Rear view cameras, NO 360…). You have to go good ol skool real driving, 🙂 look over your shoulder, turn right and left before changing lanes.😉

Safety tech is good but don’t lose sight of the fact that you need your driving chops to navigate the C40. The rest of the tech than makes it a thrilling experience! 😎

·
Registered
203 Posts
Been driving the C40 for the past 7 months now, and the rear window view while seems constrained doesn’t bother me one bit. The side mirrors and the rear view mirror along with the 360 collision warning cameras are phenomenal. I drove a 2004 XC90 2.5T FWD with none of this tech. (NO BLIS, NO Rear view cameras, NO 360…). You have to go good ol skool real driving, 🙂 look over your shoulder, turn right and left before changing lanes.😉

Safety tech is good but don’t lose sight of the fact that you need your driving chops to navigate the C40. The rest of the tech than makes it a thrilling experience! 😎
I’d never buy a XC40 even in my dream! The C40 is the epitome of speed, throttle, sex and rock n roll with Sirius and Harmon Kardon!😌☝💥🔥

·
Registered
211 Posts
My white 30 lb poodle mix sheds a little and the faux alcantara seats are just fine. I keep a blanket in the back seat and a black towel on the front passenger seat for protection.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My white 30 lb poodle mix sheds a little and the faux alcantara seats are just fine. I keep a blanket in the back seat and a black towel on the front passenger seat for protection.
What is Faux Alcantara? Is that the material of the back seats 💺? 🙂

·
Registered
11 Posts
No issues for me. I have both the C and XC. I’d choose the XC as someone who likes to get outdoors. For example, I was able to order a Thule rack for the XC and nothing yet available for the C. Also, better room in the hatch.

That said, I love my C and it looks sleek. It’s also fun having a car that I’ve never seen anyone else with where I live. Rural-ish Pacific Northwest here and I see plenty of XC40 Recharges and have yet to see a C40. That part is kinda fun, but not really a “factor” in buying a car.

Have you checked out Polestar? 2 years free charging

·
Registered
203 Posts
No issues for me. I have both the C and XC. I’d choose the XC as someone who likes to get outdoors. For example, I was able to order a Thule rack for the XC and nothing yet available for the C. Also, better room in the hatch.

That said, I love my C and it looks sleek. It’s also fun having a car that I’ve never seen anyone else with where I live. Rural-ish Pacific Northwest here and I see plenty of XC40 Recharges and have yet to see a C40. That part is kinda fun, but not really a “factor” in buying a car.

I get 3 years of free charging with Volvo and Electrify America. I love the Polestar brand but I am not sure how their service is going to pan out. I just talked to my Volvo guys yesterday and they will NOT service per company policy any Polestars. If I had to service a Polestar, the closest cube is 5 hours east of me in Atlanta! That’s a joke if you ask me. Polestar will HAVE to do a better job of partnering with Volvo on service duties moving forward.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did -- I actually originally put a deposit down for a Polestar 2! I immediately fell in love with the drive -- it's super speedy and I was impressed with how quiet it is inside. However I am more drawn to SUV-like cars and XC40/C40 felt SO much more spacious inside. I was also turned off by all of the quality issues I read about the car.

I get 3 years of free charging with Volvo and Electrify America.
3 years?? My dealer quoted me 1 year. Is it because you're a legacy customer? Now I'm wondering if this is something that's negotiable...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts