Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I keep getting these Headlamp Malfunction error codes when the lights come on.

It doesn't seem to affect lighting as such but I'm beginning to wonder if I indeed have problems with ABL. All I've ever noticed is the fog lights coming on for the corner I turn the wheel to.

So for those that have a P8 and have driven at night -- do your HEADLAMPS swivel while turning, too? Or is it just fog lights coming on in response to steering?

·
Registered
428 Posts
So, I keep getting these Headlamp Malfunction error codes when the lights come on.

It doesn't seem to affect lighting as such but I'm beginning to wonder if I indeed have problems with ABL. All I've ever noticed is the fog lights coming on for the corner I turn the wheel to.

So for those that have a P8 and have driven at night -- do your HEADLAMPS swivel while turning, too? Or is it just fog lights coming on in response to steering?
There was a thread on this about a week ago - and people reported YES, they do bend (if you're moving):

(10) The cornering function requires dynamic LED Headlights | Volvo XC40 Forum

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read that, true, but I wasn't and still am not sure if the actual headlight assemblies swivel too since I can't tell while driving. I can see the fog lights come on but I don't think they lights themselves are bending. So maybe my malfunction code is for real.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
141 Posts
I read that, true, but I wasn't and still am not sure if the actual headlight assemblies swivel too since I can't tell while driving. I can see the fog lights come on but I don't think they lights themselves are bending. So maybe my malfunction code is for real.
You will see the lights bending as soon as you start moving, it is very obvious.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Do not even have to move just turn the steering wheel and you will see the lights bends.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Do not even have to move just turn the steering wheel and you will see the lights bends.
Good to know ! I will TEST it out anyway in dark alley at a stop, turn the Steering wheel to extreme direction, get out of the car just to SEE !

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to know ! I will TEST it out anyway in dark alley at a stop, turn the Steering wheel to extreme direction, get out of the car just to SEE !
If only. Get a drivers-seat partner in crime. The lights will shut off when you get out.

(A small irritation of mine.)

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
You can leave a jacket on the seat … that is enough fit the car to think someone is present ….

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Just to chime in here, I did have to drive it, just sitting in my driveway the lights did not bend with steering.
Really? I could of sworn it worked whilst I was sitting in it. Will check it again when it’s dark.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve gotten the headlamp warning a few times now as well. It’s seems to pop up when ending a call over the Bluetooth. Odd bug for sure. Also it sounds like your fog lights are working as they should.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
You were right got to be moving for bendy. When not moving the fog lights switch on/off left or right as you turn to the extreme. I must have mistaken this for abl. Cheers for the correction.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My dealer service center took my P8 for diagnostics around the ABL error code. They weren't able to "clear" the code and talked to Volvo corporate, who then requested they update software.

The service advisor just now said the tech tested it a few times and it didn't reoccur, but I'm a bit skeptical. Has anyone here with the earlier software release (eg, Apr/May) had these error messages periodically?

I pick it up this afternoon, so hopefully it sorted (and the updated software doesn't make other things flake out on me).

(Edit:)
By the way, I did confirm that the error message means ABL doesn't bend while driving and when there's no error, the lights do bend. So the error message was clearly for when ABL won't bend. The fog lights still came on in the direction of steering though.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There's more to this story, now that I see this thread again....

My ABLs are non-functional (again), being reported every time the headlights come on. It's going to the dealer for another diagnostics cycle on Tuesday. You'd think they'd just know to order/replace the part now, but no, have to re-diagnose it. Then probably wait weeks for the part, another trip to the dealer to replace, blah, blah.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
There's more to this story, now that I see this thread again....

My ABLs are non-functional (again), being reported every time the headlights come on. It's going to the dealer for another diagnostics cycle on Tuesday. You'd think they'd just know to order/replace the part now, but no, have to re-diagnose it. Then probably wait weeks for the part, another trip to the dealer to replace, blah, blah.
Sorry to hear that. Sounds very frustrating. I really hope that Volvo disseminates a diagnostic matrix for the P8 soon. It does feel like every dealer ship starts from scratch with every problem!

Good luck. Let us know how they fixed it.

Cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts