Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Granted it's mid-90s to 100 parked in the sun during the day (but shaded from afternoon sun, front windshield cover), and Car is pre-cooled so it's decently pleasant when you get in the car, I still don't believe the AC is blowing a temp. that it's supposed to. Setting it at 62 degrees blowing at Speed 5, 15 minutes later it's barely "cool" on the front... feels more like 72 rather than 62 at Speed 5....... Now it DOES NOT blow hot air or anything like that....just after 15 minutes in, it's clearly not blowing anywhere close to 62.

Has anyone noticed that ?

Thinking of taking it to another Dealership to see if they could check on the Freon.
Current Dealership is a joke, it's insulting in every way possible when explaining issues to them.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
154 Posts
I live in cooler climate, but it got up to 94F the other day. Mine easily cooled off after a few minutes. But, I try to keep recirc on for 2 reasons: 1) the temperature drop effectively increases compared to the outside air, thus making it cooler and 2) it's much better at lowering the humidity.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
256 Posts
In the Sacramento area, we've seen about 90-110 each day for the past couple of weeks.

I have noticed that some days it takes longer to cool off and other days it blasts cold quickly. I wonder if it's a mix of cooling the cabin vs cooling the powertrain, and cooling the powertrain is a bit more critical than the passenger.

Just a guess. It does cool down pretty well for me after awhile, either way. I try to precondition when I think of it, and when I do that it seems to be better-cooled for the whole drive.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
It is funny, I see a bunch of complaints about AC cutting out periodically, I find my AC very strong. I find the HVAC has a very narrow range before it moves from AC to heat. Last few mornings it has been around 69-70F outside when I leave to go to work. I have the car set at 74 because at 72 it is cold in the car on my way home. But the heat starts putting out. I drop temp to 72 and then cool air comes out. This AC is probably one of the strongest I have owned in a car. My AC seems solid even on days it is 90+F

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've also seen intermittent issues with the AC. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Driving around in 80F the car started to get quite warm, and the AC was unable to keep up. Last week when it got to 106 here the AC worked fine. ¯\(ツ)

Turning the car off, and restarting seems to resolve it when it happens.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I drove from Seattle to near Portland last Sunday when the car showed a temp of 109. We stayed cool the whole way. I have a heat pump. I have notice the very narrow range from heat to cool as mentioned above. I also find the temperature is not well calibrated. I need to set 76 in order to keep the cold air from blowing, and that setting was comfortable in the car.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
My heat pumped P8 is defiantly able to bring the chill in the car. I have read though that there was a snafu for some on charging lvls of refrigerant on some Volvo's and a dealer visit is needed to rectify.

As far as I know it should be able to keep you cold in the heat.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
141 Posts
You will find this video interesting comparing two Tesla with and without heat pump, for those who don't have time to watch video it was 7% more efficient with eat pump.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My heat pumped P8 is defiantly able to bring the chill in the car. I have read though that there was a snafu for some on charging lvls of refrigerant on some Volvo's and a dealer visit is needed to rectify.

As far as I know it should be able to keep you cold in the heat.
For me it works great most of the time, but on occasion it doesn't work. It's like it's not turning on the heat pump, and just blowing the vent. I suspect it's some kind of software issue that doesn't engage the heat pump every time it should.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
My old Volvo did that sometimes. Had to switch off and restart the engine then it would restart. Mind you that was a 1998 v90 cross country :)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I have the heat pump and my AC has been great so far, but only 500 miles. But we have had some very warm days over 90F

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you everyone for your feedback.......after reading them, it's clear that me setting mine at 62-62F is barely keeping it cool doesn't sound right ! Off I go on July 5th to Dealership.....Dealer-cation.....

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good luck.
Let's see how this other Dealer in uptown Dallas differs -- I surely hope so, tired of dealing with ignorant Service advisors not willing to listen, learn or make any effort unless I show them what other Owners' Dealers have found or done for them. Simply ridiculous.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Let's see how this other Dealer in uptown Dallas differs -- I surely hope so, tired of dealing with ignorant Service advisors not willing to listen, learn or make any effort unless I show them what other Owners' Dealers have found or done for them. Simply ridiculous.
I have intermittent A/C issues - no pattern other than it works - stop to do an errand get going and it does not work. Brought to dealer - they loaded the March software update since that stated it corrected some A/C issues - week later brought back - dealer worked with Volvo tech decided to replace the expansion valve - week later brought back in still same intermittent issue now looking to replace the Chiller - not sure what that is - as most A/C systems are made up of a compressor, evaporator, condenser - Hopefully get it back today - have not heard yet - somehow I think it is more software related than a hardware issue - but I am not a technician. Was having conversation with a person in LA and they tired several things to repair - dealer and Volvo now say for him that it is a communication fault with a climate module and the dealer is waiting for a solution from a Volvo engineer - will update here as we find out more.

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
226 Posts
I have the heat pump. It’s been hot in the mountains of Western North Carolina, but nothing close to west coast/ PNW temps. A/C has been working well. Hottest temp was when parked on recently re-paved parking lot; temp read 102°F. setting scheduled pre-conditioning works, so car is cool when I finish my workout at the Y. One thing I have experienced is infotainment center screen warning when I turned off climate control to drive around with the windows down. It was only 74°F at the time but full sun.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts