Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I go somewhere with my wife, I typically get in the car first and the radio and AC starts up as expected. The second she opens the passenger door to get in, everything shuts off. I have to press on the brake or put it into "gear" to start things up again. I've also noticed that the radio and AC doesn't shut off when I get out of the car until I lock the doors. So essentially the car is doing the opposite of what you would want in terms of automatically turning things on or off. This started happening after one of the recent updates, but I'm not exactly sure which one. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix or does Volvo plan to fix it?

·
Registered
145 Posts
When I go somewhere with my wife, I typically get in the car first and the radio and AC starts up as expected. The second she opens the passenger door to get in, everything shuts off. I have to press on the brake or put it into "gear" to start things up again. I've also noticed that the radio and AC doesn't shut off when I get out of the car until I lock the doors. So essentially the car is doing the opposite of what you would want in terms of automatically turning things on or off. This started happening after one of the recent updates, but I'm not exactly sure which one. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix or does Volvo plan to fix it?
That's not normal operation, at least in our experience. We've never had the car shut off when the passenger gets out first, always shuts off after the driver gets out of their seat without the need to close the door or lock the car.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
812 Posts
Definitely not normal...I'd say schedule a dealer visit unfortunately.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Maybe a configuration issue if there are switches for both front seats, the car was configured (SW, but could be HW) to have the passenger seat be the "controller" for the car to power up/power down, etc. Hopefully an easy fix for the service department to resolve.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks, all. To clarify, it's the passenger opening the door to get in that makes things shut off, so it's not a seat sensor issue.
Question, if you're driving with no passenger, does the car work "normally", that is it powers up when you open the driver's door, and powers down when you leave the the driver's seat?

If this is accurate, then next question is if you're alone in the car, everything's normal, then if someone opens the passenger door the car shuts down?

In any case, probably need a trip to the service department to resolve this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts