Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
See Forty
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm at the screen where it wants me to pick the dealer. There's only one dealer close to me, but I have no idea if they're good or will try and add fee's etc. onto my order. Did you guys call and discuss terms with dealers before putting the reservation in? Was there any negotiating at any point? What should I expect?

Thanks

· Registered
2022 C40 Recharge
296 Posts
I already had a relationship with my dealer, so no-- but you should be able to google some reviews and find out if people think your dealer is sketch or not, but honestly if there's only one you're kind of locked in anyway right?

· Registered
See Forty
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already had a relationship with my dealer, so no-- but you should be able to google some reviews and find out if people think your dealer is sketch or not, but honestly if there's only one you're kind of locked in anyway right?
There are a few under an hour away. This ones just 10 min away. So I'd gladly drive for a dealer that is better.

What about pricing, is it fixed via the online order process or are you able to negotiate a deal? Opposite of that, do they let you know up front if they have any added on fees (dealer prep fee or whatever)?

· Registered
4,154 Posts
So when you buy in line some sales person still gets a fee/to mess with your life?

sorry for the attitude. My sale person experience was so aweful ….

At lest thr sales person is the brief affair. The service department is the marriage and I love mine.

Also sounds like you have no choice …. Which is often the best choice.

· Registered
2022 C40 Recharge
296 Posts
When i asked my sales person how he actually makes money off the online ordering process he basically said he gets a fixed rate from msrp. He has a few brands and volvo is not his money maker.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
My dealer was unwilling to negotiate price. They "claim" cars ordered online Volvo only pays them a handling fee. I somehow doubt that, but who knows. It is a sellers market right now. Volvo really needs to work on the Online process, delivery and such. If I am ordering online the dealer should not be able to mark a car up, or even down for that matter.

· Registered
9 Posts
I played with the online ordering tool on the Canadian website. I got different prices for the exact same configuration, it varied with the dealer I chose. The difference was about a $1000. For the dealer closest to me, the Volvo website added an admin fee, fuel surcharge fee and a security package fee. There is clearly something going on behind the scenes between Volvo Canada and its dealer network.

· Registered
See Forty
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My dealer was unwilling to negotiate price. They "claim" cars ordered online Volvo only pays them a handling fee. I somehow doubt that, but who knows. It is a sellers market right now. Volvo really needs to work on the Online process, delivery and such. If I am ordering online the dealer should not be able to mark a car up, or even down for that matter.
Dealer I'm talking to says its MSRP plus destination and dealer fee. Destination is on the online quote but dealer fee doesn't show. Did your dealer add that?

I played with the online ordering tool on the Canadian website. I got different prices for the exact same configuration, it varied with the dealer I chose. The difference was about a $1000. For the dealer closest to me, the Volvo website added an admin fee, fuel surcharge fee and a security package fee. There is clearly something going on behind the scenes between Volvo Canada and its dealer network.
That's why I'm trying to investigate this before committing though it doesn't give me the option to select a dealer until the very last step.

Overall I'm trying to get my spot in line and hope that by delivery there may be some incentives.

· Registered
206 Posts
Dealer I'm talking to says its MSRP plus destination and dealer fee. Destination is on the online quote but dealer fee doesn't show. Did your dealer add that?

That's why I'm trying to investigate this before committing though it doesn't give me the option to select a dealer until the very last step.

Overall I'm trying to get my spot in line and hope that by delivery there may be some incentives.
I did not ask about any dealer fees when we test drove the XC40 Recharge. If there's a dealer markup, we'll probably cancel on principle. Maybe if it's a couple hundred bucks, we'll let it slide, but I'm not interested in paying dealer markups when the car is marketed with online-only ordering model.

· Registered
See Forty
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did not ask about any dealer fees when we test drove the XC40 Recharge. If there's a dealer markup, we'll probably cancel on principle. Maybe if it's a couple hundred bucks, we'll let it slide, but I'm not interested in paying dealer markups when the car is marketed with online-only ordering model.
so this isn’t markup in the ADM sense. It’s basically something like a dealer prep fee for receiving and preparing the vehicle for delivery. I guess I get it but it still seems like crap to me.

· Registered
9 Posts
I've attached a price breakdown for the C40 from the Volvo Canada website. Note the inclusion of pre-tax dealership charges. These are all cash grab items imho. Watch for these in your price breakdown. God knows what a security package is, most likely a sticker applied to the window. Admin fees, we don't pay those ! Doesn't cost $85 to fill up the batteries. Oddly, I found a dealer which did not apply admin, fuel and the security package. So try a few dealers in your area and see if you can leverage the dealer you really want with this info.

Attachments

· Registered
See Forty
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@canuke Wow, that definitely seems cash grabby. Dealers think they can slip stuff by you by making a line item with a vague description. Who’s going to notice an extra $500 bucks on top of a 60k car right?

The dealer I spoke to has an “acquisition fee” of $995

· Registered
2022 C40 Recharge
296 Posts
I'd really want an explanation of the fuel charge! Is that supposed to be fuel for the vehicle that delivers the car, but which isn't included in freight? Are they trying to say it cost them $85 to pre-charge the battery?

· Registered
'22 C40 Fjord Blue in & out
323 Posts
The online order (at least in the U.S.) doesn't constitute an actual agreement to buy the car, it just requests one to be shipped to your selected dealer, then it's up to you to work out the deal with them. The terms say the online price is just the suggested retail price, but don't guarantee that's what you'll actually pay. I think most of us are assuming that our dealers will sell it for MSRP plus the usual fees but without any ADM or unwanted add-ons, but if they insisted on a markup it seems like the only real recourse under the terms is to refuse the car and get your deposit back.

I've never bought from my dealer before, but we exchanged a few brief emails before I test drove an XC40 Recharge and then placed my online C40 order last month. However, I didn't discuss the C40 with them first, I just placed the order and crossed my fingers. Today I emailed to check that there wouldn't be any surprise markups, and they confirmed there won't be.

· Registered
9 Posts
The online order (at least in the U.S.) doesn't constitute an actual agreement to buy the car, it just requests one to be shipped to your selected dealer, then it's up to you to work out the deal with them. The terms say the online price is just the suggested retail price, but don't guarantee that's what you'll actually pay. I think most of us are assuming that our dealers will sell it for MSRP plus the usual fees but without any ADM or unwanted add-ons, but if they insisted on a markup it seems like the only real recourse under the terms is to refuse the car and get your deposit back.

I've never bought from my dealer before, but we exchanged a few brief emails before I test drove an XC40 Recharge and then placed my online C40 order last month. However, I didn't discuss the C40 with them first, I just placed the order and crossed my fingers. Today I emailed to check that there wouldn't be any surprise markups, and they confirmed there won't be.
Arteitle, wish I had the option to refuse the car and get a deposit back. In Canada, the deposit is non-refundable. I have no negotiating power, just push the order button and hope. Precisely why the C40 is not my top pick anymore.

· Registered
See Forty
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just placed my reservation, switched to a dealer thats 45 min away but I have it in writing (via email) that there will be no additional or hidden markups. They also said they're expecting their C40 tester on Monday! Stoked to get an early test drive and compare vs. XC40.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
All dealers around here add a bogus "doc fee" of around $600-$700 which is pure profit. I gave up negotiating it years ago and focused on negotiating the purchase price. That said when you order online and there is no negotiating any more it is nice profit for the dealer. I look forward to the day when traditional dealers sales stores are gone, you go there to test drive and order. I see something like what Volvo is doing, keep cars regional, once a customer orders if it is already in the regional depot you truck to to the "delivery store" (dealer) and they sign and go. Would love to see the entire "finance person" function moved online too to avoid all the BS pressure tactics to buy all the warranties and add-ons. While the manufacturer makes more it takes all the running around town to 2-3 dealers to negotiate best deal. Although last few times I did that all via email. You then brand all your dealerships "Volvo Customer Centers" and focus on pre-sales, delivery and service.

As Tesla will tell you that is along way off since many states the dealership lobby has gotten some interesting laws pass to make this more of a hurdle. At some point I can see a federal law preventing anti-competitive laws such as those dealer laws in many states.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.