Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
97 Posts
“We are aware that some retailers have sold their demos to customers, so those cars will have to be brought in under the traditional process,” clarified product and technology spokesperson Jim Nichols.
And you didn't stop them?!?!

But in reality - glad to see them be able to identify an issue and fix it in a fairly quick turnaround especially since a vendor was involved.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And you didn't stop them?!?!

But in reality - glad to see them be able to identify an issue and fix it in a fairly quick turnaround especially since a vendor was involved.
Really! That's poor leadership from corporate, both in letting it happen and then trying to throw the dealers under the bus for the inconsistent approach -- they should realize that both corporate AND dealers are all "Volvo" to the customers. They all need to take care of Volvo business better than this. Coming from previously dealing with Porsche, I cannot imagine them bickering like this publicly.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
97 Posts
Really! That's poor leadership from corporate, both in letting it happen and then trying to throw the dealers under the bus for the inconsistent approach -- they should realize that both corporate AND dealers are all "Volvo" to the customers. They all need to take care of Volvo business better than this. Coming from previously dealing with Porsche, I cannot imagine them bickering like this publicly.
Exactly! Same way one bad hotel property can hurt a brand's image.

·
Registered
47 Posts
So I wonder if I have the updated software or is there another one for my "demo" car. 🙄
Sounds like your vehicle may still be subject to requiring a dealer visit (but enter your VIN in the check tool at NHTSA, or perhaps confirm with your dealer):
“We are aware that some retailers have sold their demos to customers, so those cars will have to be brought in under the traditional process,” clarified product and technology spokesperson Jim Nichols.

·
Registered
34 Posts
For those of us who have the Volvo recharge, the VIN I entered does not show a recall.

The quote, from Jim Nichols, is rather confusing and taken out of context. The prior paragraph indicates the OTA upgrades will go as anticipated. The chip upgrade did occur in the Polestar through an OTA upgrade. It is unclear what or why the Volvo needs to be serviced by the dealer.

"Volvo Car USA and Polestar Automotive USA filed recall paperwork for the same issue. In the affected models, a microprocessor within the battery energy control module might reset and cause a sudden disconnect of the cars’ high-voltage system, and thus a potential stall of the vehicle.

"In both cases, a simple software update fixed the errant behavior of that microprocessor, which was supplied from China by Lear.
For both models, vehicles affected included those made from the start of production until Feb. 24, 2021, when new software solving the issue was introduced.

"On the Polestar side, spokesperson J.P. Canton confirmed that there’s effectively no stop-sale for the recall, or a physical service campaign, and since the fix was deployed over the air—”pending a few last customers accepting the download in-dash”—the NHTSA filing was essentially a formality.
Although Volvo hadn’t yet officially started deliveries—in sync with its original schedule of Q1 2021—it acknowledged that things were a little different because of what some of its franchised dealers had decided to do.
“We are aware that some retailers have sold their demos to customers, so those cars will have to be brought in under the traditional process,” clarified product and technology spokesperson Jim Nichols."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts