Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often look at postings on this and other forums to gain some additional insight or knowledge about the car. It has recently dawned on me that about 25% of the entire number of posts come from three people.

And, 1/3 of all posts deal with the VOC, which is not even considered a working app at this time.

If asked about this car, I would state it is a great drive, great handling, and cutting edge electronics. The app is not working and there are multiple reported issues with AAOS and the display. The AC problems appear resolved with the software updates and almost all other issues are common with new first generation cars (tire availability). I would state that the electronic issues are not full understood and resolved, but there appears to be steady improvement in the quantity of electronic glitches.

Regarding the ride, fit and finish, I consider it excellent. The seats are the most comfortable I have ever used. The ride instills confidence and safety.

For any first time or early reader of this forum, the volume of postings may not reflect the true incidence of problems. A single angry customer speaks louder than a hundred satisfied purchasers.

It is important to be cognizant that this car is the first iteration of the future Volvo electric cars. It will be supported and the ,(many),early glitches and issues will hopefully be resolved.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I often look at postings on this and other forums to gain some additional insight or knowledge about the car. It has recently dawned on me that about 25% of the entire number of posts come from three people.

And, 1/3 of all posts deal with the VOC, which is not even considered a working app at this time.

It is important to be cognizant that this car is the first iteration of the future Volvo electric cars. It will be supported and the ,(many),early glitches and issues will hopefully be resolved.
Volvo has not said VOC is not working yet, when I call they said the June updates fixed many things.

And there is no promise Volvo will resolve all the glitches, ask Tesla owners.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Volvo has not said VOC is not working yet, when I call they said the June updates fixed many things.

And there is no promise Volvo will resolve all the glitches, ask Tesla owners.
The app was working great yesterday for me; does not work today... This is frustrating, the problem is clearly on Volvo's servers side, and I have a feeling that Volvo does not care about their customers. This is my first BEV, and my first Volvo, and they have only one chance to make the first impression.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 Recharge
10 Posts
I'm a new P8 owner as of Sunday. I've been around car forums long enough to know how this stuff works! ;-)

I'm happy so far with the 50 miles that I've driven. LOL

·
Registered
23 Posts

If asked about this car, I would state it is a great drive, great handling, and cutting edge electronics. The app is not working and there are multiple reported issues with AAOS and the display. The AC problems appear resolved with the software updates and almost all other issues are common with new first generation cars (tire availability). I would state that the electronic issues are not full understood and resolved, but there appears to be steady improvement in the quantity of electronic glitches.

Regarding the ride, fit and finish, I consider it excellent. The seats are the most comfortable I have ever used. The ride instills confidence and safety.

For any first time or early reader of this forum, the volume of postings may not reflect the true incidence of problems. A single angry customer speaks louder than a hundred satisfied purchasers.

Well said. I had ac issues [major one but resolved] and enjoy the car immensely. Good post

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm a new P8 owner as of Sunday. I've been around car forums long enough to know how this stuff works! ;-)

I'm happy so far with the 50 miles that I've driven. LOL
Lol me too! Picked up mine today and have about 43km. Read this forum for a few weeks before making a decision and willing to take the good with the bad. Like others have said... squeaky wheels are always heard the most.

Not that there are not problems, but I for one took the chance they will fix the software issues. Time will tell if I am right or wrong.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The app stopped working for me with the latest app update, but that's such a small thing compared to everything else. After 2 months of ownership, I still look forward with excitement for any excuse to drive it (even my 5 minute commute to work or a trip to the grocery store!). I never thought I'd love driving a car so much or that I'd be this enthusiastic about a car I own.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Good post Homer.

I agree with all you said.

Bellow is my whine about how we complain too much about voc. Yes a whine about a whine how very … I should delete it as I dislike negative posts and yet it remains … still I suggest skipping it due to slightly negativity and a whiney after taste. :)

VoC frustrate me as every thread (almost) ends up talking about VoC. It is not meant to be working yet. We agreed that it would not work when we got our cars and yet everyone shares every detail of whether VoC works that day over and over. It drowns out other questions and makes me think of the way me and my friends discuss our health issues with each other.

When soemthing is not meant to work it will work some days and others it will fail. It will work for some people and not others. The path for getting it to work for person A is not the golden path as one data point is not a line but just a path amongst many.

Perhaps we should shovel all voc stuff into one thread so people can drop in and see the landscape of voc.

It saddens me that people could be put off from getting a lovely car due mainly to one not yet to released feature. The less people buy it the less support / care from Volvo the rest of us with it will get which is a shame as there are some issues effecting a few (IHU) that does need care and attention.

When I used to work in software we would select our beta testers carefully. They were people who would provide good feed back but would not loose it on the fact the product was a beta. They felt special I that they got to help shape the software and listened too.

It is a shame that Volvo is not present here to listen to us. To make us feel heard and honestly to get the insight that a lot of the smart people on hear whose posts I read share. It would help them greatly!! Maybe they could pick a few if you to have free cars in the future to test out :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
As a new P8 owner and a long time Tesla Model S owner (2017), I'm curious which long term, continuing glitches are Tesla owners experiencing?
Referring to the early Tesla days, not recent years. although I am sure Tesla still sends out the occasional goose egg update once in a while.

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
162 Posts
My biggest complaint is with Volvo and how it has handled the rollout of its first BEV. The “customer experience” has been mediocre at best. I expected some growing pains with a first iteration model. But Volvo has been in denial mode that its first effort has flaws that detract from an otherwise mechanically sound effort. Except when it was forced to admit a problem when it recalled for a EDCM software update, Volvo’s answer to issues like VOC/VC app, SiriusXM, CarPlay & Android Auto has been to give vague timelines for implementation.

It would have been refreshing if Volvo had responded with, “Oops, we didn’t get it right the first time. Here’s when we will fix these issues … “. Instead, Volvo has acted like everything went well and it’s time to work on gen 2 EVs.

·
Registered
637 Posts
It seems their good will gesture was a preemptive move, especially when they released it before the cars were deliver. They clearly expected some grief for people. Then of course getting dealers to even put you in for the gift cards is a joke. I ageee, I in theory I love the car, until the mis-steps by dealers and Volvo which tarnish the experience.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It seems their good will gesture was a preemptive move, especially when they released it before the cars were deliver.
The goodwill gesture program is a case in point. It may have been pre-emptive but it was mostly secret and not well known. I wouldn’t have known about it without seeing it mentioned in this forum. Why couldn’t Volvo email owners and offer its mea culpa. But then more owners would take advantage of it and it would cost Volvo more money. Dealers are ignorant of the program (don’t they read their email?), and those that do know about it are reluctant to use the program.

I worked the program through Volvo Customer Service rather than start with my dealer and had Volvo authorize my dealer. Just put in my order for accessories. Thanks, Volvo. But, you still have to light a fire under the asses of your engineers and suppliers and get them to resolve the tech issues quickly. I’m tired of using my phone data to stream SiriusXM when the vehicle has the satellite radio hardware.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I like your approach, I already have been working with Volvo, and if selling dealer does nothing by Monday I will push Volvo to work through the serving dealer.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I like your approach, I already have been working with Volvo, and if selling dealer does nothing by Monday I will push Volvo to work through the serving dealer.
I went with the $1000 accessories credit rather than the $750 gift card because my dealer has been great (except finance) and I pitched to Volvo CS as a win-win for me and my dealer.

Since it sounds like your dealer has been less than cooperative I’d go with the gift card.

·
Registered
637 Posts
The goodwill gesture program is a case in point. It may have been pre-emptive but it was mostly secret and not well known. I wouldn’t have known about it without seeing it mentioned in this forum. Why couldn’t Volvo email owners and offer its mea culpa. But then more owners would take advantage of it and it would cost Volvo more money. Dealers are ignorant of the program (don’t they read their email?), and those that do know about it are reluctant to use the program.

I worked the program through Volvo Customer Service rather than start with my dealer and had Volvo authorize my dealer. Just put in my order for accessories. Thanks, Volvo. But, you still have to light a fire under the asses of your engineers and suppliers and get them to resolve the tech issues quickly. I’m tired of using my phone data to stream SiriusXM when the vehicle has the satellite radio hardware.
What I find odd is why not have a Siri’s streaming app for the Android OS to take pressure off. Again this is the down side of signing up with Google. I assume this is on Googles schedule, not Volvo’s. And where do we thin XM is for Google when they would prefer you load YouTube Music or even Spotify vs. XM. And YouTube Music should, give us insight into Google’s commitment to moving forward. I pay for YTM as part of Preiums to get the videos without commercial s and YTM is junk. And some of the YTM issues are same complaints users have been complaining about for years.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I went with the $1000 accessories credit rather than the $750 gift card because my dealer has been great (except finance) and I pitched to Volvo CS as a win-win for me and my dealer.

Since it sounds like your dealer has been less than cooperative I’d go with the gift card.
‘Yeah I want the gift cards, there is really no option I want I have the spoiler already and mud guards. The rear lighted deck would be nice, but why waste the money on sow thing if there is a risk it may be lemon law returned.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8
26 Posts
I am an owner of a Tesla X and now also an owner of my 4th Volvo, an XC40 P8. I've mentioned this on many other Facebook postings both on the XC40 and Tesla FB groups. "Now you know how the owners of Teslas felt in the first couple of years of production." Volvo and all the other auto manufacturers who are rushing-to-the-sales-floor EV cars I feel will be in the same boat that Volvo is right now. Here it is---now wait for us to perfect it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts