Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had my 2020 R Design since Aug. 2019 and I hate this car.

Frankly, this car is going to kill me. Every time I try to use CarPlay, it either is stuck on “loading” or cuts out after about 5 mins. Not being able to listen to my music is one thing, but when the guidance quits, I have to paw around the screen to try to get it to restart; unplug the phone; get on Siri—or get off the freeway and try to reset the damned thing without connecting to the car—just using the phone, which I cannot see while driving and can hear on the phone speaker only. Picking up incoming phone calls is hit-and-miss as to whether or not the car’s audio system will find the call.

The radio is the WORST sounding radio I have ever had on over 35 cars in my lifetime. Screeches intermittently in all environments. I can’t seem to get the radio to remember to go to my Favorites. Nor does the guidance remember any past trips.

The brake odor is annoying. I can only imagine how long the pads will last.

Why do I have to tap the gas to get the car to engage in gear? Frankly dangerous.

The gearshift is counter-intuitive (e.g., push back to go forward) and does not find D or R when selected quickly. I end up in N a lot and have to take my eyes off the road to check the dash to see what happened.

The proximity sensors are too slow to engage and do what they are supposed to do: alert you before you hit something.

The auto-high beam is useless and and a PITA to have to turn on every time.

The blind spot sensor does not alert when a small car is immediately next to me on the right side—really dangerous at night.

I am thinking I need to do a “factory reset” and start all over on the software-driven stuff. But who knows how long that will take, when I am this busy?

I really hate this car. Constant frustration and distraction. I never had to screw around like this with my Evoque.

·
155 Posts
Richard, I and others responded at length to your post in the brake forum about the odor and gas pedal issue (which can very easily be deactivated with one push of the button on your center console). Most of the other issues sound like your own battle with new tech, to be honest. I haven’t heard of anyone else complain about the CarPlay issue so I suspect it is your phone or even your cable, which could explain the screeching. Those cables need to be replaced often. They can often be worn out inside and malfunction even if they look fine. Yes, the settings take a while to get used to, including the audio settings. But that is true of just about any car you were going to buy in 2020. I’m sympathetic to someone who spent the money on a car and then later finds out it’s not a match. I have to say that given your repeated complaints about issues that are easily addressed, and your apparent unwillingness to spend some time with your dealer, it’s sort of coming across as if you just want to complain.

·
Registered
42 Posts

I agree with everything said here...

But the difference is I LOVE this car. I cannot stop driving it. I have driven tons of cars over my life and this is the best car for the buck so far.

I do wish Volvo would address all these concerns. Most can be fixed with a software update. I hope they borrow from Tesla's playbook and issue overnight, over-the-air updates to remedy these concerns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Richard, I and others responded at length to your post in the brake forum about the odor and gas pedal issue (which can very easily be deactivated with one push of the button on your center console). Most of the other issues sound like your own battle with new tech, to be honest. I haven’t heard of anyone else complain about the CarPlay issue so I suspect it is your phone or even your cable, which could explain the screeching. Those cables need to be replaced often. They can often be worn out inside and malfunction even if they look fine. Yes, the settings take a while to get used to, including the audio settings. But that is true of just about any car you were going to buy in 2020. I’m sympathetic to someone who spent the money on a car and then later finds out it’s not a match. I have to say that given your repeated complaints about issues that are easily addressed, and your apparent unwillingness to spend some time with your dealer, it’s sort of coming across as if you just want to complain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine isn‘t quite a lemon yet, but I’m having regrets. The first time the battery died (and a tow truck had to drag it out of my garage), then the tailgate broke, electrical issues and now a spontaneous crack of unknown origin in the panoramic sunroof. . I bought this car and am in this long term. The trips to the dealer are annoying. I do like the speed!

·
Registered
42 Posts
The hate posts here remind me of what Tesla owners go through... they love the car, but it is riddled with serious problems.

I wish Toyota made the XC40... not Geely Auto Group (the Chinese car company that now owns Volvo). I have been a Toyota RAV4 fan since 1996. Just brakes and oil changes. The most reliable car ever. I still have 2 RAV4s in my parked in my driveway next to my XC40.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine isn‘t quite a lemon yet, but I’m having regrets. The first time the battery died (and a tow truck had to drag it out of my garage), then the tailgate broke, electrical issues and now a spontaneous crack of unknown origin in the panoramic sunroof. . I bought this car and am in this long term. The trips to the dealer are annoying. I do like the speed!
A friend who teaches auto technology at a community college thinks we should think of our electronic cars as having the life of a cell phone.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Frankly, this car is going to kill me. Every time I try to use CarPlay, it either is stuck on “loading” or cuts out after about 5 mins. Not being able to listen to my music is one thing, but when the guidance quits, I have to paw around the screen to try to get it to restart; unplug the phone; get on Siri—or get off the freeway and try to reset the damned thing without connecting to the car—just using the phone, which I cannot see while driving and can hear on the phone speaker only. Picking up incoming phone calls is hit-and-miss as to whether or not the car’s audio system will find the call.

The radio is the WORST sounding radio I have ever had on over 35 cars in my lifetime. Screeches intermittently in all environments. I can’t seem to get the radio to remember to go to my Favorites. Nor does the guidance remember any past trips.

Why do I have to tap the gas to get the car to engage in gear? Frankly dangerous.

The gearshift is counter-intuitive (e.g., push back to go forward) and does not find D or R when selected quickly. I end up in N a lot and have to take my eyes off the road to check the dash to see what happened.

The proximity sensors are too slow to engage and do what they are supposed to do: alert you before you hit something.

The blind spot sensor does not alert when a small car is immediately next to me on the right side—really dangerous at night.

I am thinking I need to do a “factory reset” and start all over on the software-driven stuff. But who knows how long that will take, when I am this busy?

I really hate this car. Constant frustration and distraction. I never had to screw around like this with my Evoque.

I feel your pain. My XC40 has tried to kill me now three times. The transmission in these vehicles are not just an annoyance, the electronic shifter is out right dangerous once you start to have electrical problems. They shift from 70mph from top gear to a lower gear - feels like you are being rear ended. I have had it in the shop now for the third time and the fourth time overall for the same transmission issue - faulty wire at park neutral. Renders you completely stranded, just pray you are close to civilization when it happens to you. Expect zero help from Volvo NA. They will tell you that YOU own the car and that all dealers are independently owned so work it out with them. Good luck with that and don’t talk to them about safety - curious how I cannot get them to talk about the one thing I bought the vehicle for - safety.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I feel your pain. My XC40 has tried to kill me now three times. The transmission in these vehicles are not just an annoyance, the electronic shifter is out right dangerous once you start to have electrical problems. They shift from 70mph from top gear to a lower gear - feels like you are being rear ended. I have had it in the shop now for the third time and the fourth time overall for the same transmission issue - faulty wire at park neutral. Renders you completely stranded, just pray you are close to civilization when it happens to you. Expect zero help from Volvo NA. They will tell you that YOU own the car and that all dealers are independently owned so work it out with them. Good luck with that and don’t talk to them about safety - curious how I cannot get them to talk about the one thing I bought the vehicle for - safety.
I would contact your state's Attorney General's office. Watch how fast Volvo helps you out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very disappointing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts