Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Dead '22 XC40 Pure Elec.
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've read about all the issues other people on these forums have been having with the XC40 Recharge, and I was silently hoping none of them would happen to me. Being a later MY22 model, v2.0 software etc. "Maybe they sorted the issues now" is what I kept saying to myself.

Well tonight, after just 36 hours of ownership, the car is stuffed. Not sure what I can do to get it going again but here's what happened.

I took the wife and kids out tonight for their first drive in the car but it was raining. We went to our local big shopping center (about 10km/6mi away) and on the return trip I had a series of warnings and errors and strange behavior. It was also raining tonight so pulling over and getting out of the car wasn't an option we wanted.

The problems happened like so...
1. I was at 80% battery capacity and then it suddenly dropped to 65%, then 57%.
2. One Pedal Driving was automatically turned off and I got a warning that I had to use the brakes
3. A few moments after this, I started seeing an orange bar start to work it's way down my power meter on the right of the dash (like where it starts restricting power)
4. Once this orange bar had got all the way to the mid-way point, the turtle icon showed up to show I was in limp home mode
5. A few moments after this I got a drive propulsion warning.

We were only 3km/1.8mi from home so I kept the car going and limped home.

6. When I got home just as I was pulling into the garage I got a "Drive to workshop 12V battery charging fault service urgent" warning.

We also noticed a very very fast "fan" noise coming from the front of the car. Not sure what this was (definitely didn't sound like air-conditioning). This fan shut itself off after a further 30-60s.

I got out of the car and locked it. It has been about 30min and I've now gone back to the car to try to "start" it to see if it will move and all I get now is a "12V Critical Charging Fault" with a "red" battery warning icon. The car will not start up.

Tomorrow here in Australia is Mothers Day I was hoping to drive the car to the thing I have planned for my wife and the kids. I'm going to see if I can access the 12V battery (I remember seeing someone on here post some pics on how to get to it) and I'll just check the charge and make sure the terminals are tight. Failing this - I'm out of ideas.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
812 Posts
So I've read about all the issues other people on these forums have been having with the XC40 Recharge, and I was silently hoping none of them would happen to me. Being a later MY22 model, v2.0 software etc. "Maybe they sorted the issues now" is what I kept saying to myself.

Well tonight, after just 36 hours of ownership, the car is stuffed. Not sure what I can do to get it going again but here's what happened.

I took the wife and kids out tonight for their first drive in the car but it was raining. We went to our local big shopping center (about 10km/6mi away) and on the return trip I had a series of warnings and errors and strange behavior. It was also raining tonight so pulling over and getting out of the car wasn't an option we wanted.

The problems happened like so...
1. I was at 80% battery capacity and then it suddenly dropped to 65%, then 57%.
2. One Pedal Driving was automatically turned off and I got a warning that I had to use the brakes
3. A few moments after this, I started seeing an orange bar start to work it's way down my power meter on the right of the dash (like where it starts restricting power)
4. Once this orange bar had got all the way to the mid-way point, the turtle icon showed up to show I was in limp home mode
5. A few moments after this I got a drive propulsion warning.

We were only 3km/1.8mi from home so I kept the car going and limped home.

6. When I got home just as I was pulling into the garage I got a "Drive to workshop 12V battery charging fault service urgent" warning.

We also noticed a very very fast "fan" noise coming from the front of the car. Not sure what this was (definitely didn't sound like air-conditioning). This fan shut itself off after a further 30-60s.

I got out of the car and locked it. It has been about 30min and I've now gone back to the car to try to "start" it to see if it will move and all I get now is a "12V Critical Charging Fault" with a "red" battery warning icon. The car will not start up.

Tomorrow here in Australia is Mothers Day I was hoping to drive the car to the thing I have planned for my wife and the kids. I'm going to see if I can access the 12V battery (I remember seeing someone on here post some pics on how to get to it) and I'll just check the charge and make sure the terminals are tight. Failing this - I'm out of ideas.
Oh bugger! Not good. Hope you have some success checking 12V battery terminals. Do you have access to a 12V battery charger as well? Might be worth a shot. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
Dead '22 XC40 Pure Elec.
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh bugger! Not good. Hope you have some success checking 12V battery terminals. Do you have access to a 12V battery charger as well? Might be worth a shot. Keep us posted.
Yep - I've got a 12v charger. I'm just about to start pulling panels now (not something I really wanted to be doing at 9pm on a Saturday night). sigh

Reactions: houkura

·
Registered
Dead '22 XC40 Pure Elec.
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
12v battery is reading 12.75V with the car "off". With someone sitting in the drivers seat it reads 12.4v.

I just tried to recharge the car (main battery) using my home charger and I get a solid red light next to the port.

Interestingly enough the main battery charge percentage has now gone back up to 68% (I only had my home charger plugged in for 15 seconds or so).

At a guess - I would say my main battery has clapped out. I'm going to put the charger on the 12v anyway just until my charger says the battery is fully charged (I may aswell since the covers are off), and it'll be interesting to see what the car says it's status is in the morning. I'm wondering if water ingress occured somewhere (in which case that's really piss poor because it's not like I drove it through a river... it was just normal rain).

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
463 Posts
So sorry to hear such a bad experience. I totally empathize with you.
Based on your description, I fear the worst case might be a defective battery cell within your main Li-ion pack. (you mentioned that the SoC rapidly dropped). The car may have gone into panic mode and stopped all non-essential activities such as charging the 12v battery.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
812 Posts
Regarding water ingress…I would hope that the shark fin antenna cover leak issue has been fixed by now…but you could have a look at your shark fin antenna and see if it looks well sealed and no gaps around the edge. I also wouldn’t think the symptoms you saw would come up if the TCAM got water-logged, but you never know. Grrr! Not good. :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry to hear, very concerning as there are a lot of posts about this on both the XC40 and c40 pages - it suggests this is a major issue across the technology itself. I wonder if dealers are flagging this back to HQ as it sounds like a recall is needed.
I appreciate the forum will show the bad points but this appears to be a very common issue now

·
Registered
Dead '22 XC40 Pure Elec.
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys... I appreciate the support. :cry:
LOL

Something is definitely messed up. My main batter charge state is all over the place. It came back up to 76% without doing anything and I thought I'd plug it into my home charger again. Everything went green and it started recharging. I still had the "12 V battery critical charging fault" on screen but I let the car charge back up to 80%. While it was charging I could even run the air conditioning (I just did this to test that it was working).

It finished charging at 80% and I removed the charging plug from the side of the car. I look at the dash... battery says 74%. When I sit back in the drivers seat, I still get the same "12v battery critical charging fault", but the air conditioning doesn't work and the car won't get into any "gear" (forwards, reverse etc). It can't get past the critical fault.

My 12v battery charger is still going but the batter just seems to be sitting at 13v when I measure it across the terminals - which is a healthy 12v battery.

I'm just going to leave it overnight and if it hasn't just magically sorted itself out then I guess I'm organising a tow truck on Monday.

• Sad
Reactions: LBinWNC

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry to hear, very concerning as there are a lot of posts about this on both the XC40 and c40 pages - it suggests this is a major issue across the technology itself. I wonder if dealers are flagging this back to HQ as it sounds like a recall is needed.
I appreciate the forum will show the bad points but this appears to be a very common issue now
Other forums ? SwedSpeed and Reddit are pretty dead on the XC40 and C40.

·
Registered
2022 Late XC40 Twin, 2017 BRZ
872 Posts
This sounds like a problem with the main battery. I don't recall seeing many other posts with this issue.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'd agree that it sounds like a main battery fault, which I have possibly heard of twice in almost a year of watching various forums. The usual failure mode in the past has been the TCAM, which only affects GPS/Wifi/LTE/charging settings - a completely different issue. I think Volvo has fixed or is near to fixing the TCAM problem. Hope they can expeditiously fix your car's fault.

·
Registered
426 Posts
It could be the charging terminal. I’ve heard of others going bad. It’s not likely the battery and the battery does not just lose large percentages if power-that’s not possible-it’s the hardware and software related to the battery at fault here is my guess.

·
Registered
Dead '22 XC40 Pure Elec.
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Go to the dealership. I hope they are good. Only positive I think is that the problem happened right way and not on vacation or roadtrip.
Yeah I'm happy (in a way) that this also happened straight away and not far from home, rather than in the middle of nowhere.

Just an update... I left the 12V battery charger on for a few more hours last night and this morning when I checked it it gave me a green LED suggesting it had finished recharging the 12v. The critical 12v battery error I was getting on the drivers dashboard has now cleared. However I've still got 2 errors every time I get into the car:
  • Propulsion system service required
  • Drive to workshop, Propulsion system service urgent

Looks like I won't be using the car today. I'll call Volvo tomorrow and see when I can take the car back to get looked at. It won't be until possibly Thursday at the earliest (if they can even get me in that quick) because I'll be away interstate for work for the next few days.

Searching these forums and the general internet this past couple of hours - this could be anything from dead cells in the main battery, battery control unit/management system fault, battery coolant, battery heater (though I don't live in a cold climate) or just a software glitch.

Reactions: Ces and houkura

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yeah I'm happy (in a way) that this also happened straight away and not far from home, rather than in the middle of nowhere.

Just an update... I left the 12V battery charger on for a few more hours last night and this morning when I checked it it gave me a green LED suggesting it had finished recharging the 12v. The critical 12v battery error I was getting on the drivers dashboard has now cleared. However I've still got 2 errors every time I get into the car:
  • Propulsion system service required
  • Drive to workshop, Propulsion system service urgent

Looks like I won't be using the car today. I'll call Volvo tomorrow and see when I can take the car back to get looked at. It won't be until possibly Thursday at the earliest (if they can even get me in that quick) because I'll be away interstate for work for the next few days.

Searching these forums and the general internet this past couple of hours - this could be anything from dead cells in the main battery, battery control unit/management system fault, battery coolant, battery heater (though I don't live in a cold climate) or just a software glitch.
Sounds like BDU (battery control unit)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd agree that it sounds like a main battery fault, which I have possibly heard of twice in almost a year of watching various forums. The usual failure mode in the past has been the TCAM, which only affects GPS/Wifi/LTE/charging settings - a completely different issue. I think Volvo has fixed or is near to fixing the TCAM problem. Hope they can expeditiously fix your car's fault.
fair enough - the majority of major faults I’ve read have been about the car completely dieing - being unable to charge, 12v draining and various issues towing the car away. I do read the c40 pages more than this however

·
Registered
On Order C40 AWD Ultimate Silver Dawn Fjord Blue Interior
25 Posts
To be fair every EV forum of whichever brand model you care to choose have a similar range of problems especially with the 12v battery. Doesn’t help the Op I know. Best of luck to getting it resolve.

·
Registered
Dead '22 XC40 Pure Elec.
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Off to the workshop it is. Yesterday afternoon I thought I'd take the car for a little drive just to see if anything would change. Luckily I was just driving around the local streets. About 5 mins into my drive the car just died again and shut down very abruptly. On Saturday night the car went into "Turtle Mode" and I was able to limp home. This time it just stopped, literally in the middle of the street. I had about 15 seconds notice (but was only travelling at about 30kph). I couldn't get the car home at all so had to call roadside assistance to tow me. Today the car has gone to the dealership so I'll keep you guys posted on what they say the issue is.

Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

·
Registered
On Order C40 AWD Ultimate Silver Dawn Fjord Blue Interior
25 Posts
Got the message, cancelled my order. :rolleyes:
Feel for you guys having invested a significant amount of money and then this happens.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts