Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before the latest OTA update, the 360 deg. camera would display on the centre monitor when car is put into reverse. This 360 camera mode is particularly invaluable when backing out of and into parking stalls because it shows where the car is relative to other vehicles.

For some reason, after the OTA, only the rear camera is activated when put into reverse.

Does anyone else having similar issue and have a way of getting the camera default revert back to the 360 view when in reverse.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
1,136 Posts
Before the latest OTA update, the 360 deg. camera would display on the centre monitor when car is put into reverse. This 360 camera mode is particularly invaluable when backing out of and into parking stalls because it shows where the car is relative to other vehicles.

For some reason, after the OTA, only the rear camera is activated when put into reverse.

Does anyone else having similar issue and have a way of getting the camera default revert back to the 360 view when in reverse.
Another Canadian on here said the same thing. Maybe it has reverted to the USA settings as in the USA the rear camera must come on first by law I believe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another Canadian on here said the same thing. Maybe it has reverted to the USA settings as in the USA the rear camera must come on first by law I believe.
You are right, it is by law in both US and Canada since 2018 for cars to be equipped with backup cameras. However, I do believe the rearview area covered by the 360 cameras meets the letter of the law. Not to mention we have the additional audio and colour red alerts when obstructions are detected.

That being said, does anyone know a way of switching back to 360 ?

·
Registered
706 Posts
You are right, it is by law in both US and Canada since 2018 for cars to be equipped with backup cameras. However, I do believe the rearview area covered by the 360 cameras meets the letter of the law. Not to mention we have the additional audio and colour red alerts when obstructions are detected.

Not able to switch it as default - but can select 360 from Camera button or touch the screen and then select the 360 view when reverse camera on.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Huh Volvo!! I contacted Customer Service regarding this new "feature" which, in my view as an older driver, is a most egregious violation of the first rule of driving dynamics that calls for providing the most amount of information to the driver at the outset of any maneuver, followed by the ability to focus in if needed. Before the update, the default 360 view provided this extremely well. Well, CS said there have been a lot of complaints from others too since the change but had no idea of when or if there would be a way to make this the default. The only option for now is the manual procedure of hunting down the 360-view icon and pressing it to get past the pissy rear camera with its fish-eye distortion. At my age, I can't afford to hold my breath for this to be corrected.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No issues on my end. I am good with the rear camera as default view and switch to 360 degree as and when needed.
Volvo customer service agent advised me that they are aware of the issue and working to have it corrected. As to when and how the fix will be delivered, he does not as yet know.

Thank you for all your input.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Be care file with 360 and reverse. Because the lenses are set to ultra-wide, you cannot see much past a few feet, so you should not back up too far with 360 on. You won’t see pedestrians.

·
Registered
84 Posts

I have the same issue, but I can select the 360 degree camera manually from the centre console. I contacted Volvo Canada Customer Care and after a couple of days, they informed me that they couldn't help me and that I would have to take my 2022 C40 into a Volvo Workshop to have them look at how to make the 360 degree view the default view (as it was prior to the V2.3 OTA update). I have appointment at 8:00 AM this Monday morning.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the same issue, but I can select the 360 degree camera manually from the centre console. I contacted Volvo Canada Customer Care and after a couple of days, they informed me that they couldn't help me and that I would have to take my 2022 C40 into a Volvo Workshop to have them look at how to make the 360 degree view the default view (as it was prior to the V2.3 OTA update). I have appointment at 8:00 AM this Monday morning.
Volvo customer service agent told me they are working on a fix, no time frame mentioned. I also spoke to the dealership but the Manager was not aware of the issue. I am unsure if they can actually able change the default.
One thing I noticed is that the backup camera mode seems to be overly sensitive when backing into a tight parking stall. The audio and visual alerts (flashing red) keep going off even when there is safe separation to adjacent vehicles.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Volvo customer service agent told me they are working on a fix, no time frame mentioned. I also spoke to the dealership but the Manager was not aware of the issue. I am unsure if they can actually able change the default.
One thing I noticed is that the backup camera mode seems to be overly sensitive when backing into a tight parking stall. The audio and visual alerts (flashing red) keep going off even when there is safe separation to adjacent vehicles.
I agree and appreciate that my dealership will not likely be able to provide a solution, but I am trying to make my point in that OTA updates shouldn't make things worse, they should make things better. Some of us love the 360 degree camera back-up view, as it provides for greater safety, however I understand that some users prefer the simple back up view. Whatever one's prefernce, we as drivers should be able to select our default rear view mode. Here in Canada, we used to be able to do that. Now we are compelled to to use the simpler rear view mode without the 360 degree view as a default. Let's hope Volvo gets that resolved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would love to have a view, we’re a single camera view ist displayed based on if the car is in reverse (rear facing camera) or if the car is moving forward - and in addition there should always be the 360 camera view. Something like I created as a mock up below.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Car

I had a BMW before and there was always a Split View with 360 and a context aware 3D view showing front, rear or side camera images based on direction and we’re possible obstacles are. This is of course even better, but a view as shown above would be a first step.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am just home from a visit to my local Volvo Dealership here in Canada, and as suspected, they were not able to set the 360 park assist camera as the default mode. The technician explained that the recent software update changed the settings so that the rear camera is the default mode now, and he thought that was as a result of some regulatory compliance, but he wasn't sure. He did explain to me that I could still access the 360 degree view, but I had to do that manually. We already knew that. It was worth a try.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am just home from a visit to my local Volvo Dealership here in Canada, and as suspected, they were not able to set the 360 park assist camera as the default mode. The technician explained that the recent software update changed the settings so that the rear camera is the default mode now, and he thought that was as a result of some regulatory compliance, but he wasn't sure. He did explain to me that I could still access the 360 degree view, but I had to do that manually. We already knew that. It was worth a try.
Thank you for sharing that.
I am just hoping Volvo can come up with a fix soon. Personally, I find the rearview camera too distorted to be used as a default while the 360 gives more information.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts