Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
832 Posts
Oh yeah, I'm totally aware of that...was curious though because the difference is notable for Australia and for the single-motor version only!
They’re quoting an ADR test/calculation. In Australia we have this antiquated set of local standards called Australian Design Rules (ADRs)…they were initially brought in back in the late 60s or early 70s (I can’t recall) and were similar to other US FMVSS or EU/ECE standards, but not always the same. It became somewhat of a protectionism for the local automotive industry (RIP) but now that the industry no longer exists (for various reasons, ahem) the ADRs are basically irrelevant. There has been or is talk of moving to allowing any ECE or possibly DOT/US compliant vehicles in, but I believe carmakers must still certify cars to the ADR standards. Fortunately most are now harmonised with ECE, but I think there’s still a few obscure ones that makes it a bit more work to certify a car for Australia.

Here’s what the ** leads to on the Volvo Cars Australia website:
“**Figures according to ADR 81/02 are derived from laboratory testing. Factors including but not limited to driving style, road and traffic conditions, environmental influences, vehicle condition and accessories fitted, means in the real world the range you experience can differ from that advertised. Advertised figures are meant for comparison purposes.”

Some light reading for you if interested in ADRs:

Reactions: aloaiza

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
832 Posts
Oh that makes sense @Greg S , good to know! Guess with all the different ways of measuring EV efficiency some car manufacturers go the extra mile, not to provide their customers with a more accurate/effective range, but to stand out from the competition 😅
Haha yes, true. It pays to compare apples to apples. Sadly sometimes even then it’s not too helpful as for example in the real world, one car may come very close to the test criteria range rating whereas another car may miss it by miles. I think some YouTube reviewers have done real-world range tests and charts comparing to EPA rating or WLTP rating. I have yet to see anyone compare to ADR 81/02 (LOL!)

Reactions: aloaiza
1 - 2 of 2 Posts