Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I was going over some recent news on the new MY23 XC40 Recharge and noticed in Australia they are advertising a 317-mile range (510km) for the single motor version and 280-mile range (450km) for the twin motor variant (WLTP). I know the actual mile range might vary due to different circumstances, like how you drive, the topology of the terrain, and temperature...but I was wondering what could be that the range there is so different? Even in Costa Rica where we have warm temps all year-round the range is so much less...252 miles (407km) and 260 miles (418km) for single & twin motors.

Could this be due to something else? Thoughts?

Font Circle Number Screenshot Rectangle

Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
All roads are downhill in Australia- obviously 馃榿

Sounds like a typo to me. Do you have a link to this info?

Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
I thought the single-motor range was actually less, due to a smaller battery pack.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Registered
WLTP is notoriously unrealistic for most people's driving habits. US EPA range is generally more realistic. Different countries use different measurement standards (speeds, etc) for EV range.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WLTP is notoriously unrealistic for most people's driving habits. US EPA range is generally more realistic. Different countries use different measurement standards (speeds, etc) for EV range.
Oh yeah, I'm totally aware of that...was curious though because the difference is notable for Australia and for the single-motor version only!

Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
Oh yeah, I'm totally aware of that...was curious though because the difference is notable for Australia and for the single-motor version only!
They鈥檙e quoting an ADR test/calculation. In Australia we have this antiquated set of local standards called Australian Design Rules (ADRs)鈥hey were initially brought in back in the late 60s or early 70s (I can鈥檛 recall) and were similar to other US FMVSS or EU/ECE standards, but not always the same. It became somewhat of a protectionism for the local automotive industry (RIP) but now that the industry no longer exists (for various reasons, ahem) the ADRs are basically irrelevant. There has been or is talk of moving to allowing any ECE or possibly DOT/US compliant vehicles in, but I believe carmakers must still certify cars to the ADR standards. Fortunately most are now harmonised with ECE, but I think there鈥檚 still a few obscure ones that makes it a bit more work to certify a car for Australia.

Here鈥檚 what the ** leads to on the Volvo Cars Australia website:
鈥**Figures according to ADR 81/02 are derived from laboratory testing. Factors including but not limited to driving style, road and traffic conditions, environmental influences, vehicle condition and accessories fitted, means in the real world the range you experience can differ from that advertised. Advertised figures are meant for comparison purposes.鈥

Some light reading for you if interested in ADRs:

Reactions: aloaiza

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh that makes sense @Greg S , good to know! Guess with all the different ways of measuring EV efficiency some car manufacturers go the extra mile, not to provide their customers with a more accurate/effective range, but to stand out from the competition 馃槄

Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
Oh that makes sense @Greg S , good to know! Guess with all the different ways of measuring EV efficiency some car manufacturers go the extra mile, not to provide their customers with a more accurate/effective range, but to stand out from the competition 馃槄
Haha yes, true. It pays to compare apples to apples. Sadly sometimes even then it鈥檚 not too helpful as for example in the real world, one car may come very close to the test criteria range rating whereas another car may miss it by miles. I think some YouTube reviewers have done real-world range tests and charts comparing to EPA rating or WLTP rating. I have yet to see anyone compare to ADR 81/02 (LOL!)

Reactions: aloaiza
1 - 10 of 10 Posts